You are here

Fender Guitar Mods

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Fender Guitar Mods

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:16 pm

I've used a three position centre off switch to wire two single coils so they could be selected individually or in series, you would need access to the centre tap wiring to do that with a single humbucker but it could work. The other Strat mod that I use all the time is using the centre pot to bring the bridge pickup into series with the middle pickup (on the '61 Strat), I do similar with a toggle on the P90 Bitza with just two pickups (it switches the two P90s into series for extra grunt). It could be done with a 5 way/4 pole switch too but I just CBA to get my head around it.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DanStack16 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Would it be easier to wire the humbucker with a couple of 2-way switches so that each coil had its own on/off switch? It would be a bit more complicated to use once it’s all said and done but I could get used to it. If it’s simpler (or at least possible) to wire I’m all for it.

Dan
DanStack16
New here
Dan

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Individual coil switches still make it difficult. I have been putting some thought into it though, still working things out to see if it's possible.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 pm

I think it's quite easy to do with an on-off-on SPDT switch (though you could use half of an DPDT switch).

On a 4-wire pickup, the two middle wires that come already joined together (red and white on the Seymour Duncan system) get taken to the middle terminal. One of the end terminals is connected to ground whilst the other is connected to the hot connection from the pickup (black wire if SD) and this also goes off as the main pickup output connection (to either the volume pot or pickup selector switch depending on the rest of your circuitry). The pickup ground wire (green if SD) and the cable screen are grounded as normal.

With the switch in the middle position, the two centre wires remain unconnected (except to each other) and you have the full humbucker.

With the switch connecting the two centre wires to ground, the output of the south coil is grounded, so you get the north coil only.

(Now the bit that I think should work but I've never tried it so can't 100% say for certain).
With the switch connecting the two centre wires to the normal pickup output, both ends of the the north coil are connected together so should be at the same potential, so no current can flow around them. That just leaves the output of the south coil to provide the signal.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:54 pm

DanStack16 wrote:Would it be easier to wire the humbucker with a couple of 2-way switches so that each coil had its own on/off switch? It would be a bit more complicated to use once it’s all said and done but I could get used to it. If it’s simpler (or at least possible) to wire I’m all for it.

Dan

The wiring for a single pole double throw switch with centre off is very easy as long as you have access to the centre tap of the humbucker. The two 'on' positions each short out a coil, the 'off' position has both coils active. It works great with two separate pickups but I'm not sure how much difference they'll be between the coils of a single humbucker*. I'd probably stick with a simple SPST coil tap which shorts the earth side coil to earth.

* BTW I don't think it would be useful at all to have the lower coil of a stacked humbucker active on it's own.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DanStack16 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The wiring for a single pole double throw switch with centre off is very easy as long as you have access to the centre tap of the humbucker. The two 'on' positions each short out a coil, the 'off' position has both coils active. It works great with two separate pickups but I'm not sure how much difference they'll be between the coils of a single humbucker*. I'd probably stick with a simple SPST coil tap which shorts the earth side coil to earth.

* BTW I don't think it would be useful at all to have the lower coil of a stacked humbucker active on it's own.

I wouldn’t use a stacked humbucker- whenever I upgrade I’d go for a JB mini or something- the ones that have a more standard HB construction in a single coil size. However for now I’m talking about a mod for a stock full-size Fender HB in my mexi strat at the bridge (I’ll upgrade that later probably to either a JB or a good WRHB clone but the one I have is 4 lead so it should work)
DanStack16
New here
Dan

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:15 pm

What Wonks describes and Sam has drawn was along the lines I was thinking. Like Wonks, I think it would work but not 100% certain as I've never had any need to try.

However, if you want to give it a try you won't damage the pick-up.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby DanStack16 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Seems to make sense to me now that I've taken a better look at it- would a switch like this be what I'd need if this would actually work?

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Ele ... 4sQAvD_BwE
DanStack16
New here
Dan

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Yes, the #7465 On/Off/On Mini Toggle Switch is the type you want.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Previous