You are here

Best "removable" option to soundproof a window?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Best "removable" option to soundproof a window?

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:57 pm

Hey guys. So my son has been pleading with me to use my Garage [MY domain] to do his music stuff which is making beats and Producing. Few years ago when he was younger I used to let him do it but he was never able to follow instructions to not make noise after 10pm so I would have no issues with my neighbors therefore I had stopped him from using the Garage.

Now that he's older and hopefully wiser at 33, I am willing to give him another try. His application does not require sound absorption I am thinking since it's not a live recording situation. We simply need to contain the music inside the garage so the neighbors won't hear it at night and especially during the upcoming warmer months when their windows will be open at night.

If you all can look at the attached screenshot please you will see my issue. First is what we have done which is to build a removable soundproofing apparatus with soundproofing board. Problems with this is the apparatus is around 50 pounds and also when he is removing it for when I have to be in there on weekends the right side of the apparatus is coming in contact with my cables at the back of my rack.

So I am thinking of a soundproofing curtain of some sort, I am basically seeing 2 types:

https://www.audimute.com/peacemaker-sound-barrier?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhZr1BRCLARIsALjRVQNh6QIsOBx7gd4eqw19v6n-iw68qirfITKPQLw35Y2-bLnV_3BVFVAaAvlKEALw_wcB

https://www.moondreamwebstore.com/soundproof-curtains/black-soundproof-curtain-deepblack-197.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwqJ_1BRBZEiwAv73uwF4bz_qohIPNh1no-zInvoJ2V-7waQmscJYh1ThLQlucq6w96DN_nhoCmJUQAvD_BwE

Can anyone offer any advice on what might work best for us as far as a removable option to help keep the playback music from escaping through that window please?
mikehende
Regular

Re: Best "removable" option to soundproof a window?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:06 pm

Why not just insist on him using headphones? The fact he will not be tracking 'real' instruments in there does not remove the need for acoustic treatment, and depending on the construction of the garage the LF balance will be variable at best, even with effective treatment. Soundproofing, as such, is difficult, expensive and time consuming if it is to be effective but a good starting point is to make sure all gaps around doors, windows, ventilation and, especially, under the eaves in a typical brick built garage, are rigorously sealed. Then either a removable dense panel that can be put into the window opening (as pictured in you screenshot) or, more practical, a solid double glazed window will reduce transmission. But if it's a single skin brick wall and he likes his bass loud I fear you are backing a loser so headphones (or at least headphones only after 10 p.m.) are likely the best solution.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:15 pm

Hey Sam, how's it going, hope you are keeping safe?

The problems with this according to him is that most of the people he is dealing with are young people, the time that they work is between midnight and 5am. [this vampire generation I tell you].

Far as the headphones, yes that is what I had told him to do but he is saying that sometimes the headphones doesn't;t do the job, he needs to hear the music playing over speakers at a volume loud enough to be able to hear certain frequencies. I guess I can understand that because whenever I am troubleshooting my system I need to have the volume turned up at a certain level.

We have sealed around the inside of the garage in a good way so far so it's mainly that window we need to find a better solution for. He knows that he has to keep the bass at a low level at night so not an issue so far. I simply need to keep the vocals/percussion from not coming out of the garage as much as possible.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi Mike, yes we're all fine here at "Spoons Towers" thanks.

I think you probably have the best solution in place then (unless anybody else can come up with something better). The fabric curtain claims a max reduction of 6dB which I doubt will be anywhere near what you already have, and at $99 it sounds expensive. If it was me I'd work out a better way of fixing the panel you have so it can be installed/removed with no risk to your rack and wiring.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:33 pm

mikehende wrote:... he is saying that sometimes the headphones doesn't;t do the job, he needs to hear the music playing over speakers at a volume loud enough to be able to hear certain frequencies.

I'd dispute this. You don't need high volume to hear frequencies, and unless the headphones are rubbish then they are almost certainly reproducing more accurately than the speakers are.

I think he just likes listening to it with the volume turned up because that's exactly the sort of dodgy excuse I'd have given someone who didn't know better if I wanted to do the same when I was younger!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:45 pm

Yes Eddy, that is part of my thinking too.

Sam, yes I was thinking the same exact thing, that nothing will work better than that apparatus but just checking around for a better removable option. I don't say way to use that panel since it's both the weight and size that's the issue.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:04 pm

TBH Mike, if he's able to work the early hours using speakers I reckon you present solution is doing a very good job. I wouldn't expect a curtain of either kind to come close but the only way to find out is to experiment. Maybe trying to measure the attenuation outside the window provided by your panel first using some music and a phone app SPL meter to see what you are trying to achieve. Then at least you'll have an idea of whether this curtains will come close.

#Eddy Deegan, I refrained from asking that as I have grown up, sorry, adult sons and they firmly believe they know better than us old buggers.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:44 pm

As much as I love good bottom end I can’t imagine an inexpensive way of containing it and not bothering the neighbours if the treatment is a compromise.
Why not a really good pair of headphones and the Sonarworks software? Assuming the desired end result is a well balanced bottom that will sound good on a monster club sound system as well as earbuds?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Is the apparatus screwed into place or on hinges? If the latter then a door stop will stop it hitting your cables, if the former, is it a not enough space for storage issue i.e. is it propped up too close to your rackmount cabinets? If so then maybe cutting the panels in half vertically and joining them back together with long hinges so that they can be folded when being stored could be the solution. You’d probably need to glue some foam to the cut edges where the blade has removed some material.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:09 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: Maybe trying to measure the attenuation outside the window provided by your panel first using some music and a phone app SPL meter to see what you are trying to achieve. Then at least you'll have an idea of whether this curtains will come close.

#Eddy Deegan, I refrained from asking that as I have grown up, sorry, adult sons and they firmly believe they know better than us old buggers.

Great advice, I can try a phone App but immediate problem I think would be how to keep the
sound from going into the space between the wall and the window? If it would be like covering the window with material and sealing off the edges then yes but since this would need to be a removable option, not seeing how a curtain would work?'

Yes, you are definitely correct that he thinks he know better than I but then I was the same way too when I was young, payback? :P

@manofglass
Yes, good option which I will pitch to him thanks. I do not expect him to agree though so unless I can find something which works I may need to end up telling him he can't use the Garage at night.

This means he will need to have to go back to renting a studio again somewhere.
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:17 pm

MOF wrote:Is the apparatus screwed into place or on hinges? If the latter then a door stop will stop it hitting your cables, if the former, is it a not enough space for storage issue i.e. is it propped up too close to your rackmount cabinets? If so then maybe cutting the panels in half vertically and joining them back together with long hinges so that they can be folded when being stored could be the solution.

No the apparatus fits snug into the window which is indented into the wall. That apparatus is made of 2 sides of the soundproof board with foam spray in between. There is like 3 inches or so of space in between the wall and the window.

This pic of the outside will show what I mean:

https://i.postimg.cc/3JRzGNSN/window2.jpg
mikehende
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Is the reason that you need to remove the panel to allow light in? If so, have you thought about using a permanently fitted double glazed unit or a sheet of 10mm glass instead of the panel? It may also be worth replacing the outer window with something more substantial.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 pm

mikehende wrote:The problems with this according to him is that most of the people he is dealing with are young people, the time that they work is between midnight and 5am. [this vampire generation I tell you].

Ah, I remember that feeling. On reflection it's probably more with isolation than temporal awareness.

Far as the headphones, yes that is what I had told him to do but he is saying that sometimes the headphones doesn't;t do the job, he needs to hear the music playing over speakers at a volume loud enough to be able to hear certain frequencies. I guess I can understand that because whenever I am troubleshooting my system I need to have the volume turned up at a certain level.

Unfortunately all he will hear is the room. This will result in mixes that don't translate well to other systems/environments.

He is still in the mindset of the listener rather than the creator, not the same thing although the creator who forgets how to listen is in even more trouble.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:43 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Why not a really good pair of headphones and the Sonarworks software? Assuming the desired end result is a well balanced bottom that will sound good on a monster club sound system as well as earbuds?

That's the approach I use when I'm working late at night, and I've had few subsequent problems with bass mix levels when I'm able to turn the loudspeakers up during the day.

Some of us here (I'm thinking of The Elf in particular, and myself to a large extent) work almost entirely on headphones during the mixing phase, with just occasional double checks on balance through loudspeakers and grot boxes.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:57 pm

This might be too obvious but you could mention how the best and coolest DJs use headphones.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next