You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 04, 2020 11:09 am

Arpangel wrote:...strange, it was all there in the first place, and I’ve gone full circle, ....

I suspect this has always been your default modus operandi, Tony! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Mon May 04, 2020 1:05 pm

I think it's the best time for synths ever.

Not only are we getting recreations of classic synths many of could never dream of owning, but the rate of innovation is through the roof. No, not from the big guys, but the smaller manufacturers are really taking us into completely new territories - and not just with sound generation, but also with the interfaces to all these incredible sounds.

One sweep around Synthfest last year told an amazing story. It was hard to pass any stand without being wowed. I recall playing with a granular synth that I was sure was next on my shopping list. By the end of one row of stands my list was feeling financially weighty...

I think history will look back at this era as a golden age for synths.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 04, 2020 1:37 pm

I'd extrapolate that up to music creation / production in general.
Moral quandaries aside the explosion of Chinese manufacturing over the last couple of decades has reduced the barriers to entry hugely, which has in turn forced the existing incumbents to up their game too. (This a sweeping generalisation naturally!)
More than ever it is not about the kit, it's about how you use it.

Which is terrible news for me but great news for anyone who knows what they're doing! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby resistorman » Mon May 04, 2020 4:18 pm

The Elf wrote:
These are good times to be into synthesis of all persuasions. There's really no need to mourn one leg of development when all colours of it are happening around us! :thumbup:

You are absolutely correct, of course!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Mon May 04, 2020 4:32 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Back then synthesisers sounded very strange, that’s why I loved them "what is that weird sound?" it sounds like nothing I’ve ever heard.

I reckon you really should try and get some hands-on time with a Hydrasynth. I was thinking of you yesterday actually, while messing around with mine. Some of the noises that come out of that thing are incredibly abstract and extremely complicated in terms of harmonic content and movement.

It's also a doddle to keep generating new sounds that nobody has heard before and it can do pretty much the whole range of sound, from warm and analogue to harsh digital metallic and everything in between. I've never encountered a synth like it.

Amen, Eddy! And it keeps getting better, they’ve added a number of great features since I bought mine.
I only have a few minor quibbles: the tabletop version should really have a USB host port. The wallwart is surprisingly cheap, though it’s a really common 12V 1 amp center tap, so easily replaced. The CV I/O is only saveable per patch, the MPE bend range is not adjustable from 48.
I haven’t been kept up nights making new sounds since the Wavestation days, it’s a joy to program and play.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon May 04, 2020 4:43 pm

I'm the sale of one keyboard away from joining the Hydrasynth clan...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 04, 2020 5:04 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm the sale of one keyboard away from joining the Hydrasynth clan...

:thumbup:

resistorman wrote:I only have a few minor quibbles: the tabletop version should really have a USB host port. The wallwart is surprisingly cheap, though it’s a really common 12V 1 amp center tap, so easily replaced. The CV I/O is only saveable per patch, the MPE bend range is not adjustable from 48.

I haven’t been kept up nights making new sounds since the Wavestation days, it’s a joy to program and play.

I dislike the patch management software (I find it very non-intuitive and clunky) and I found a teeny tiny bug whereby when you go to an initialised patch and set an oscillator to wavelist mode for the first time then play notes, it'll sometimes play a sine (even though it defaults to 'saw') and then moves between sine and saw every few notes.

This is of no consequence however, as it fixes itself as soon as you re-select the first waveform.

Considering it's their first synth (at least that I know of) and how addictive and lovely it is I find myself being quite forgiving. It would also have been nice to be able to always see the internal tempo (I have the same gripe about the Summit actually).

I'd also like the ability to upload your own user waves to it; who knows... maybe one day?

That arpeggiator though... it's lovely and more than counters all the above on its own.

I like the fact they seem to focus on engineering rather than much else - there isn't even an option to register an account or a product on their website :)

I'm very interested to see what they come out with next. In the meantime, I can see myself getting the desktop module as well at some point, to get the pads and the option for duo-timbrality or 16-voice polyphony.

C'mon Behringer, enough mini-things for now surely; let's get those Jupiter and CS boxes out!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby ewanstefani » Mon May 04, 2020 5:31 pm

I'd like to see more multi-timbral synths coming out once the clones are done.
Also, more experimentation with patches and how patch memories are controlled on synths.
The Novation FW for BS2 synth demonstrated what can be done, even with limited processor resources.
ewanstefani

Postby The Elf » Mon May 04, 2020 6:55 pm

I'm not sure that multi-timbrality is the pull it once was. Once we all longed for more parts to create bass, chords, drums, leads with a limited number of synths in real time over MIDI... I think those days are past.

I''ll take a great-sounding monotimbral synth over a mediocre multi-timbral synth every time. I can always multi-track it for different parts.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Tue May 05, 2020 4:15 am

It’s true for me at least, Elf. I have a Roland Integra-7 (what an awful name, sounds like a cheap car) with amazing multi-timbral capabilities and I only record one sound at a time when I use it. Granted, I only bought it because I was trying to kludge it into submission as a pseudo MPE hardware synth for the LinnStrument, but my days of hardware multitrack midi compositions seem to be over. I’ll use softsynths that way, but even then, I’ll likely just slap a whole synth on each track. We have so much processing power now it doesn’t seem necessary.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue May 05, 2020 8:00 am

This is a never ending spiral, what happens when another "more interesting" synth comes along shortly, the Hydrasynth will be ousted and synths will again be sold to get whatever it is.
I listened last night, to Suzanna And The Magical Orchestra, one of my current favourite outfits, the keyboard player had a Fender Rhodes, and an original Sequential Pro 1, the music that came out was as always, completely beyond, and had me in floods of tears.
Every day as I get older I realise more and more, that for some people it’s all about the equipment, and what "it" can do, and not about the musician, and what he/her can do.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue May 05, 2020 10:11 am

The Elf wrote:I'm not sure that multi-timbrality is the pull it once was. Once we all longed for more parts to create bass, chords, drums, leads with a limited number of synths in real time over MIDI... I think those days are past.

I''ll take a great-sounding monotimbral synth over a mediocre multi-timbral synth every time. I can always multi-track it for different parts.

In the main I agree with you, but I think there are exceptions for 'live' use whether on stage, jamming in the studio or on a video. I'm pushing myself to do more "playing-based" recording, as opposed to the purely multitracking approach, at present and I can definitely see a benefit in having two Hydrasynth engines.

That said I've got plenty to be working with (and plenty to be using it on) so I'm only idly speculating about getting the desktop module. I suspect by the time I would have done there will be something else as worthy of the budget. I've also got some bits of gear that I'm not using enough, and it would be better discipline to address that!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby The Elf » Tue May 05, 2020 10:22 am

Arpangel wrote:This is a never ending spiral, what happens when another "more interesting" synth comes along shortly, the Hydrasynth will be ousted and synths will again be sold to get whatever it is.
Of course. Or we wouldn't have ditched the horse and cart for the car! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue May 05, 2020 12:34 pm

I must say that these days I'd be lost without decent polyphony. Apart from anything else, I've usually got 6-8 MIDI tracks running into Yoshimi on different channels.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Agharta » Tue May 05, 2020 1:18 pm

The Elf wrote:Of course. Or we wouldn't have ditched the horse and cart for the car! :lol:
I live next to common land and a golf course and in recent weeks I have seen more horses on the move than cars.
These are wild horses so maybe not that open to pulling a cart or even a golf bag for that matter. :D
Agharta
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext