You are here

Silent mouse - is there such a thing?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Silent mouse - is there such a thing?

Postby comradec » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:28 am

Does anyone know of a commercially available computer mouse that doesn't actually click? I mean one that works, obviously.

I quite like to browse the web while my partner is watching tedious programmes on the telly but she finds the mouse-clicking annoying.

Is there such a thing as a silent, or near silent, mouse? I imagine it could be quite useful in home recording situations too.

I've looked around for something along these lines and seen the
occasional mention on the web, but further investigation has never led
to a link where these elusive products can still be bought. It seems
that people have had the idea before, but rarely, if ever, managed to
sustain commercial production.

Regards,

Steve Cooke
www.facebook.com/people/Steve_Cooke/691988218
comradec
Frequent Poster
Steve Cooke http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

Re: Silent mouse - is there such a thing?

Postby Bob Moose » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:20 pm

perhaps a trackpad will do it ;)
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Postby James Percival » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:54 pm

Have you considered a Wacom tablet? I don't know any musicians who use them, but they strike me as being rather quiet!

Wacom make a range of surprisingly cheap, small tablets called Bamboo. Tons of people sell them on eBay.
James Percival
Regular

Postby Temp » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:19 pm

Something along the lines of a laptop ribbon-esque controller would do it. The ones where a double-tap is the same as a left mouse click.

I too had the silent mouse invention bulb light up a few years back but alas, no capital, man.

Cheers.
Temp
Regular
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world" Anne Frank

Postby Grantsos » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:42 pm

Only problem with trackpads is: they use an "absolute" positioning system. When you run out of mouse mat space, you pick the mouse up and reposition to drag the cursor further accros the screen.
With a tablet, you have to be in exactly the right position on the pad. It's a different feel, and for me it was a little weird... For drawing though, they rock - I sometimes use them to redraw or reshape occasional spikes and noises in waveform editors.
For silent mouse buttons though, I s'pose you'd have to test a bunch out in a shop - all the microswitches I know of click, so a lot will be to do with the design of the housing...
Or you could get all nerdy - rip out the switches and build simple small bendy-metal contacts. LOL.
There are normally posts from the mouse button to the top of the switch too, if you shorten than and place/glue some softish poylmer on the end of the post (or the switch button) that may reduce the level of transmitted sound.
Boy, I have too much time on my hands today... :crazy:
Grantsos
Regular

Postby Dale Campbell » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:55 pm

Grantsos wrote:Only problem with trackpads is: they use an "absolute" positioning system. When you run out of mouse mat space, you pick the mouse up and reposition to drag the cursor further accros the screen.
With a tablet, you have to be in exactly the right position on the pad.

Can't speak for all tablets out there but it certainly isn't the case with most - just go into the tablets settings and then change it from pen (absolute) to mouse mode and thats it.

That said I like the absolute positioning - less dragging around the screen and it takes maybe a week tops to get used to it.
On an unrelated note I find using the pen is much better on wrists than hours with a mouse also I tend not to keep my hand on the tablet so much as it is easy and natural to lift it away holding the pen.

As for click the old wacom graphire I am using is fairly quiet but you can set a double click just by tapping the tip twice on the tablet.
Dale Campbell
Regular

Postby IvanSC » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:41 pm

buy the selfish £$*%&*&££ some headphones.

I mean, really! MOUSE clicks spoil enjoyment of the old toot that is on tv currently?
Puh-leeez!
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Postby Damcat74 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:27 pm

+1 for the headphones. I mean, the mouse is allright, not broken or anything, the problem to solve is somewhere else. New partener maybe? Move the telly to a smaller room, perhaps?. :round1:
Damcat74
Poster

Postby DRUMZ » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:46 pm

I started laughing when I read this and someone said what I was thinking it's a mouse click!? :? what about when you're typing? some say get her headphones that's to expensive tell her to turn up the Television(it's cheaper).You must be whipped.LOL :D
DRUMZ
Poster

Postby comradec » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:13 am

cmdr_hb wrote:I started laughing when I read this and someone said what I was thinking it's a mouse click!? :? what about when you're typing? some say get her headphones that's to expensive tell her to turn up the Television(it's cheaper).You must be whipped.LOL :D

So there appears to be a general consensus that I'm trying to find a technical solution to someone being totally unreasonable, right?
comradec
Frequent Poster
Steve Cooke http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

Postby A Non O Miss » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:25 am

I would say if a mouse click is that big of an irritant then there must be some other problem going on. Doesn't have to be with you, but obviously she, I am assuming she so forgive me if I am wrong, is wound way too tight. Stressed out, easily angered and not in a healthy state of mind. I know when something that minute bothers me it is because something else is jabbing at me and making my temper short and making my judgment and ability to cope with stuff poor and that allows stuff to bother me that normally shouldn't. It took a lot of work but I was able to acquire the Zen so ish like this just floats on by. One quick easy way to do it is to get some weed and bake her out, surely then the mouse click will be the least of her worries ;)
A Non O Miss
Regular

Postby DRUMZ » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Right she's being totally unresonable like A Non said their is something else maybe(could be a control freak).I think you didn't stretch her,as in do something that's left field and let her live with it.You're maybe to predictable to her now,you've put in you're time with her and getting silly over nonsense you're walking on eggshells with her.What's next tapping on cotton balls will get her P.O'd.PLEASE!!.She's not gonna leave cause she has it good.Stop trying to please her and do you.You know what one difference between men and women is,if they call us an A**hole we can deal with it cause maybe we were acting like one.If anyone calls them a B**** they get upset,they're not being honest about themselves.If you're acting like that for that moment then you are that for that moment. ;)PEACE
DRUMZ
Poster

Postby Dale Campbell » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:16 pm

I personally feel that Paul Whites Leader column is getting a bit behind the times. We should petition to have it replaced with a relationship advice/agony aunt column (Paul could still write it of course).
And perhaps the following month readers answers could be printed maybe with a synopsis of the advice by Hugh?

Its a winner I think.

:tongue:
Dale Campbell
Regular

Postby Damcat74 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:05 pm

comradec wrote:
cmdr_hb wrote:I started laughing when I read this and someone said what I was thinking it's a mouse click!? :? what about when you're typing? some say get her headphones that's to expensive tell her to turn up the Television(it's cheaper).You must be whipped.LOL :D

So there appears to be a general consensus that I'm trying to find a technical solution to someone being totally unreasonable, right?

Look, first thing, I don't want to start a marital fight, so apologies for joking about it before, but in all honesty, mouse cliks are not that loud.
Damcat74
Poster

Postby dubbmann » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:33 pm

IvanSC wrote:buy the selfish £$*%&*&££ some headphones.

I mean, really! MOUSE clicks spoil enjoyment of the old toot that is on tv currently?
Puh-leeez!

LOLROTF, ivan as usual you cut to the chase. my thoughts exactly. personally, i feel sorry for the op, if my spouse were complaining over this i'd be incredulous. good thing i'm not married...

d
dubbmann
Frequent Poster
http://www.thinkbluecounttwo.com/ http://www.phichibe.com

Next