You are here

Yoshimi Pi

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: Yoshimi Pi

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:03 pm

Clarification - out of interest, I logged into Github (haven't needed to do this for several years since the Hunter's Moon Remastered project), and this time clicking on your and Will's link DID open the manual in the browser.

So I suspect that's the difference :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:05 pm

Downloaded and saved.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:15 am

Well I'm glad that's sorted... ish
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:10 am

If you do another run - let me know I'd love a 'Yoshi Pi' :)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:02 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Image

Ooooh! My blue one is so jealous and won't stop moaning about favouritism and things. I try to reassure it that I still love it but I can tell it doesn't believe me :(

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:03 pm

Maybe you're not pla^H^H^H working with it enough, and it's feeling lonely ;)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue May 12, 2020 4:08 pm

I had a pleasant surprise this afternoon.

Being an optimistic chappie, I ordered three more screens expecting them to arrive middle to end of next month, so I was not expecting the postie to deliver them today :bouncy:
Lead time for the Raspberry Pi seems to be getting better, and for the rest of the kit is pretty much next day. I've ordered just one Pi so I can prepare control boards etc.

I've done a run through on prices, almost everything has gone up in price. Screens of this type all come from China so it's hardly surprising the price has gone up more than the rest. However, at the same time the Pi has actually got cheaper. The overall result is I need to bump the price up to £270, something like a 4% increase.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 12, 2020 4:27 pm

Bravo Will - a £10 price hike is incredibly minimal in the circumstances :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Mon May 25, 2020 6:31 pm

Just a reminder that yp003 is still unclaimed. This is one of the original blue ones, but will be fully updated to the current software. These first three are all unique in some way, as I was developing the internal structure. From 004 onward this became fixed.

So in 20 years time they'll be so valuable you'll have to get them separately insured.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Can anyone suggest where else I can promote Yoshimi Pi, but fairly quietly?
I would like to get more of these out there, but don't want to end up with either extreme of no interest, or production-line type quantities asked for.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Random Guitarist » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:41 pm

First of all, thank you for YP005. It is wonderful, and I have not yet given it the time it deserves.

Do you want to promote the boxes you build yourself, or promote the design and allow others to build them?
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Folderol » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Not entirely sure actually. I would like to make the design available, but to do so I would have to do a *lot* more work filling in the gaps of things I just know about it, but haven't documented. This would be a bit more of the 'what' a lot more of the 'how' and some undefined amount of 'why'.

I remember the days of my youth of struggling with commercially designed projects that frequently fell short on all of these.

On the other hand, I do enjoy building these when it's just a small number, and the contributions to my garden fund are most welcome :)

Glad you're happy with yours :wave:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:36 pm

Hi Will,

I'm very pleased with my YP004 - Copper model as well.

There you are - if you want to maintain a small production run, why not trade in on the boutique individuality of each model and their incremental differences ;)

YOSHIMI PI SYNTH
CURRENT OWNERS:
YP001 Blue - Eddy Deegan
YP002 Blue - Chris Timpson
YP003 Blue - as yet unsold
YP004 Copper - Martin Walker
YP005 Black - Random Guitarist
YP006 Brass - Eddy Deegan
YP007 Gold - Andy Rockett

I'm actually glad that you ran out of Copper paint, because like Andy's YP007 Gold, mine is now a one-off, and it hope it stays that way ;) You might turn that into a sales feature as well, by offering a range of custom colour options!

However, all joking aside, I suspect that to publicise a little more you could well employ the old sales routine of 'FAB' to highlight the strengths of your all-in-one design.

'Features, Advantages, Benefits' :

Because it has…..FEATURE

You will be able to…..ADVANTAGE

What that means to you is…..BENEFIT

If the benefits can be made precisely clear, selling becomes much easier ;)

No, I was never a fan of sales people and their slogan and methods either in the main, but there is certainly some mileage to be had in thinking through the benefits for a potential customer. I spent some time mulling over what the benefits were for me before taking the plunge, so if you highlight these in advance you are hopefully making this process easier for potential customers. For instance, although it wasn't a huge benefit for my purposes, some people may be swayed by the fact that Yoshimi Pi is also a fully-fledged Raspberry PI computer with monitor screen running Linux, so why not find out what other music/audio applications people can run on it if they so wish?

This thought process may also help you flesh out your documentation without going overboard. A few more attractive photos would also help.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:09 am

I do indeed own 001 and 006, but for unrelated reasons 003 is currently in safe keeping with me until such time as Will lets me know who to send it to.

Yoshimi-Pi therefore has a Sussex-based distributor, albeit with limited stock and it may well have been reserved (I'm not sure on that) :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Folderol » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Thanks for your replies.
@ Martin. Yes good points and I can think of a few features I could promote. However, that still leaves the issue of where to advertise, without the risk of getting snowed under.

yp003 is actually still unclaimed. There have been several people who, as they say, expressed and interest, but no purchase yet.

Oh, and yp005 is black.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext