You are here

Low cost field recording rig?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby The Elf » Thu May 21, 2020 8:19 am

Arpangel wrote:MS is one of those things I’m always "about to do" but for some reason I just glaze over when I get the mic's out the draw, oh sod it, just give me a another pair of spaced cardioids.
MS just seems like a lot of effort to go to most of the time, just to get stereo.
What do you feel is 'a lot of effort'? All it takes is the free MSED plug-in - that's it!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby Arpangel » Thu May 21, 2020 9:12 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:MS is one of those things I’m always "about to do" but for some reason I just glaze over when I get the mic's out the draw, oh sod it, just give me a another pair of spaced cardioids.
MS just seems like a lot of effort to go to most of the time, just to get stereo.
What do you feel is 'a lot of effort'? All it takes is the free MSED plug-in - that's it!

You don’t understand, I’ve got to get the mic's out of the draw, and even worse, put them on a stand, and "think about things" it's just plain unreasonable to expect me to have to do that...I’m getting to a point now where I need Studio SOS to be in residence full-time...

:D :D
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5738
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 21, 2020 9:15 am

I just have a stand set up so ready to go all I need to do is get the ribbon out of the box (I appreciate this is your first challenge!) and drop the LDC into place above it.
I reckon it would take me about 90 seconds to be set up for MS recording! :)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11976
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby John Willett » Thu May 21, 2020 10:19 am

Arpangel wrote:You don’t understand, I’ve got to get the mic's out of the draw, and even worse, put them on a stand, and "think about things" it's just plain unreasonable to expect me to have to do that...I’m getting to a point now where I need Studio SOS to be in residence full-time...

:bouncy: :lol: :bouncy:
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby The Elf » Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am

For the second time in a week...
Image
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby MOF » Fri May 22, 2020 1:15 am

You don’t understand, I’ve got to get the mic's out of the draw, and even worse, put them on a stand, and "think about things" it's just plain unreasonable to expect me to have to do that...I’m getting to a point now where I need Studio SOS to be in residence full-time...

Some people are just beyond help!!! :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 22, 2020 7:50 am

MOF wrote:
You don’t understand, I’ve got to get the mic's out of the draw, and even worse, put them on a stand, and "think about things" it's just plain unreasonable to expect me to have to do that...I’m getting to a point now where I need Studio SOS to be in residence full-time...

Some people are just beyond help!!! :lol:

Yes, and it’s made worse by the fact I have an MS mixer, with a switch you just engage it and it decodes the mic's into a normal stereo output, but it’s not a portable mixer, and I’m finding I’m making more field recordings these days, and it’s easier just to grab a handy recorder, I’d have to by a blimp for MS, and I just can’t be bothered.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5738
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby John Willett » Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 am

Arpangel wrote:
MOF wrote:
You don’t understand, I’ve got to get the mic's out of the draw, and even worse, put them on a stand, and "think about things" it's just plain unreasonable to expect me to have to do that...I’m getting to a point now where I need Studio SOS to be in residence full-time...

Some people are just beyond help!!! :lol:

Yes, and it’s made worse by the fact I have an MS mixer, with a switch you just engage it and it decodes the mic's into a normal stereo output, but it’s not a portable mixer, and I’m finding I’m making more field recordings these days, and it’s easier just to grab a handy recorder, I’d have to by a blimp for MS, and I just can’t be bothered.

:lol: :headbang:
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 22, 2020 10:42 am

John Willett wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
MOF wrote:
You don’t understand, I’ve got to get the mic's out of the draw, and even worse, put them on a stand, and "think about things" it's just plain unreasonable to expect me to have to do that...I’m getting to a point now where I need Studio SOS to be in residence full-time...

Some people are just beyond help!!! :lol:

Yes, and it’s made worse by the fact I have an MS mixer, with a switch you just engage it and it decodes the mic's into a normal stereo output, but it’s not a portable mixer, and I’m finding I’m making more field recordings these days, and it’s easier just to grab a handy recorder, I’d have to by a blimp for MS, and I just can’t be bothered.

:lol: :headbang:

John, my enthusiasm for life in general, let alone music, is virtually non existent, and the interesting thing is, it’s not making a jot of difference to my musical output, or the quality of it. In fact, because I don’t care, it enables me to do loads of things, that I wouldn’t normally accept as being OK, as for judging the quality of what I do, I honestly don’t know, all I do know is that I’m not making any value judgments or so called quality considerations, but that still doesn’t stop me making stuff that sounds alright, and that people seem to like.
Sounds bad doesn’t it, but as I said, who cares? so....
I really am doing it just to keep occupied.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5738
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby John Willett » Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am

Arpangel wrote:
John Willett wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
MOF wrote:
You don’t understand, I’ve got to get the mic's out of the draw, and even worse, put them on a stand, and "think about things" it's just plain unreasonable to expect me to have to do that...I’m getting to a point now where I need Studio SOS to be in residence full-time...

Some people are just beyond help!!! :lol:

Yes, and it’s made worse by the fact I have an MS mixer, with a switch you just engage it and it decodes the mic's into a normal stereo output, but it’s not a portable mixer, and I’m finding I’m making more field recordings these days, and it’s easier just to grab a handy recorder, I’d have to by a blimp for MS, and I just can’t be bothered.

:lol: :headbang:

John, my enthusiasm for life in general, let alone music, is virtually non existent, and the interesting thing is, it’s not making a jot of difference to my musical output, or the quality of it. In fact, because I don’t care, it enables me to do loads of things, that I wouldn’t normally accept as being OK, as for judging the quality of what I do, I honestly don’t know, all I do know is that I’m not making any value judgments or so called quality considerations, but that still doesn’t stop me making stuff that sounds alright, and that people seem to like.
Sounds bad doesn’t it, but as I said, who cares? so....
I really am doing it just to keep occupied.

Sometimes the best music can come from this - as you are relaxed, not stressed, and just doing what comes to mind. :thumbup:

Good luck and stay safe. :)
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby The Elf » Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm

This is my portable MS rig:
Image
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby Arpangel » Sat May 23, 2020 7:04 am

The Elf wrote:This is my portable MS rig:
Image

Does it record in MS, and then convert to a normal stereo output? Or does it output the raw signals?
My Tascam has all this, but I don’t use it, I just select cardioids or omni in conventional stereo and that’s that. I’ve really no need for MS, it’s just interesting I suppose..
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5738
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby The Elf » Sat May 23, 2020 7:53 am

Arpangel wrote:Does it record in MS, and then convert to a normal stereo output? Or does it output the raw signals?
Both, or either.

Arpangel wrote:I’ve really no need for MS
Leaving aside the full mono-compatibility and ability to narrow/widen stereo after recording (which seems like magic the first time you try it) and the more focussed stereo centre. And even leaving aside its use for microphones...

Using MS for mastering, for instance, brings a number of benefits, not least of which that you can work with two mono processors, as opposed to a dedicated stereo processor - and matching them is not so critical. It also allows you to widen, or narrow, a stereo mix, centre the low frequencies, widen the high frequencies, brighten the side, balance up a L/R imbalance and generally fool around with the stereo field and perceived width without any fear of introducing mono incompatibiity. In fact mono compatibility is increasingly important as many people consume audio through their phones and mono bluetooth speakers now. Adding a bit more compression to centre and less to sides can really help a mix to punch with an enhanced sense of space to support it.

MS really is a good tool to understand and make use of when the situation calls for it. It's sitting there in the toolbox like any other technique, just waiting to be picked up - and it is ridiculously simple to use. Hopefully at some point you'll give it a chance and begin to realise the potential.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby Arpangel » Sat May 23, 2020 9:31 am

I’ve just downloaded the MSED plug, to see if that will spur me on to experiment.
I’m OK indoors, as I have my MS mixer, but it’s outdoors using a good mic that always gets confusing.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5738
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Previous