You are here

What are the best professional monitor headphones?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What are the best professional monitor headphones?

Postby Synthman4 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:42 pm

My budget is anything up to £200. What is the best one on the market at this price range?
Synthman4
Poster

Re: What are the best professional monitor headphones?

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Is this for tracking or mixing? You won't go far wrong with Sennheser HD25s for tracking and either AKG K701/702 (I have HD25s and K701s) or Sennheiser HD 650 for mixing. Buy right and you could just about get both the HD25 and K701s for your budget.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 pm

"Professional" is anything with which a skilled person can do the job and doesn't break after one month. :) DT990/880Pro, AKG701/702, HD650 (and surely some more I forget). You can do excellent mixes with these and they last for years.

The "best" headphones I have heard so far have been the Audeze LCD-X. I'm waiting for a pair and will put them thru their paces for mixing within a couple weeks or so.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm

It may also be worth saying that the best sounding headphones aren't necessarily the best for studio use. Ruggedness, reliability and the availability of spares are also important in professional headphones. That's why you'll still see so many pictures of people wearing DT100's in studios - they're not necessarily the best sounding headphones but they stand up well to studio life.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Andyh 56 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:29 pm

Scan.co.uk Are selling refurbished Akg 702's for a knats wotsit under £73. I bought some a couple of weeks ago . So far have been absolutely brilliant. :thumbup:
Andyh 56
Regular

Postby harky » Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Dont be tempted by Aiaiai TMA 1s
Avoid.
harky
New here

Postby MOF » Thu May 21, 2020 8:14 pm

That's why you'll still see so many pictures of people wearing DT100's in studios - they're not necessarily the best sounding headphones but they stand up well to studio life.

Their own DT150 and DT250 headphones sound so much better and just as rugged and parts replaceable.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby innerchord » Thu May 21, 2020 8:14 pm

harky wrote:Dont be tempted by Aiaiai TMA 1s
Avoid.

Is that really a brand, or the sound you utter when you actually hear them for the first time? :lol:
innerchord
Regular

Postby MOF » Thu May 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Is this for tracking or mixing? You won't go far wrong with.......Sennheiser HD 650 for mixing
You won’t get these at £200 new.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Synthman4 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Is this for tracking or mixing? You won't go far wrong with Sennheser HD25s for tracking and either AKG K701/702 (I have HD25s and K701s) or Sennheiser HD 650 for mixing. Buy right and you could just about get both the HD25 and K701s for your budget.
Well for messing around with eq's and getting the right sound AND for overall mixing
Synthman4
Poster

Postby Synthman4 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:14 am

What is the difference between tracking and mixing?
Synthman4
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 22, 2020 11:18 am

Tracking headphones need to be closed back to prevent the cue mix getting into the microphone. Mixing headphones need to be as accurate and detailed as possible, open back headphones usually sound better than closed so are favourite mixing but sound leakage from the open back makes them impractical for tracking.

I have Senn HD-25s for tracking and AKG K701s for mixing.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Fri May 22, 2020 11:20 am

Synthman4 wrote:What is the difference between tracking and mixing?

For recording, you generally need closed headphones that don't leak sound into instrument microphones, and to help the performer only hear the music rather than the sound going on in the room. These are often quite uncomfortable for long periods as they often clamp down hard on your head.

For mixing, generally open-type headphones have a more accurate sound, but as they leak sound, they are less suitable for recording with. They are often lighter and more comfortable to wear for longer periods.

Hence the use of the two types in studios. You want mixing-type headphones, so a semi-open or open design is better for you.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby John Willett » Fri May 22, 2020 11:29 am

Synthman4 wrote:What is the difference between tracking and mixing?

For tracking it is vital that sound from the headphones cannot get out and leak back into the microphone and colour the sound.

So these need to be closed back - the better the seal the better.

They do not need to be the highest quality as they only need to make sure the vocalist sings in time and in tune.

On the other hand, headphones for mixing need to be much better quality - open back is better for mixing as they give a more "out of head" sound and enable you to hear the mix much better - though I do sometimes swap for good closed back if I need to hone in on some detail in the mix - then swap to open back and carry on.

So, get some cheap and cheerful headphones (or earbuds) for tracking and some good open back headphones for mixing - the Sennheiser HD 600 are good for this. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby MOF » Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 pm

the Sennheiser HD 600 are good for this
But not available new for £200.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Next