You are here

Advertising sidebar content

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Advertising sidebar content

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 25, 2020 11:15 am

The forums have ads in the RH sidebar, I realise these generate vital revenue for SOS so have whitelisted the site in my adblocker. For a while I've noticed the third ad showing adverts for 'questionable' devices, recently a TV aerial and a wifi router which claim benefits over conventional kit that appear to be 'too good to be true'.

I assume that SOS rents this space to google ads and has no control over what it advertised there? I think it is probably not good for the mag to be associated with what are scam products if there is a way to limit what appears in this ad space.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13323
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Advertising sidebar content

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 25, 2020 3:09 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The forums have ads in the RH sidebar, I realise these generate vital revenue for SOS so have whitelisted the site in my adblocker. For a while I've noticed the third ad showing adverts for 'questionable' devices, recently a TV aerial and a wifi router which claim benefits over conventional kit that appear to be 'too good to be true'.

I assume that SOS rents this space to google ads and has no control over what it advertised there? I think it is probably not good for the mag to be associated with what are scam products if there is a way to limit what appears in this ad space.

I've noticed this too. In my case I've seen some very sketchy adverts, including for various 'driver management' utilities which I know to be classified as viruses by some quarters.

However, although I have SOS whitelisted as a site I have all customised advertising disabled in my Google accounts and I've taken a lot of pains to opt out of a LOT of marketing cookies (I make a bit of a habit of following through the 'set preferences' options to disable them all) so I accept that I could get any amount of random garbage in those ads.
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Moderator
Posts: 4710
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project
 

Re: Advertising sidebar content

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:However, although I have SOS whitelisted as a site I have all customised advertising disabled in my Google accounts and I've taken a lot of pains to opt out of a LOT of marketing cookies (I make a bit of a habit of following through the 'set preferences' options to disable them all) so I accept that I could get any amount of random garbage in those ads.

Yes, I do similar and, unless I really want to visit a site, if the opt out of cookies is not a theee of four click process I simply don't carry on to the site. I do have cookies active on the SOS website though.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13323
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Advertising sidebar content

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 25, 2020 5:28 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: if the opt out of cookies is not a three or four click process I simply don't carry on to the site.

Good man. Thanks for confirming I'm not alone in observing that policy :thumbup: :lol:
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Moderator
Posts: 4710
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project
 

Re: Advertising sidebar content

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 25, 2020 6:18 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote: if the opt out of cookies is not a three or four click process I simply don't carry on to the site.

Good man. Thanks for confirming I'm not alone in observing that policy :thumbup: :lol:

I'm trying to migrate to Brave but some sites just don't work at all with it, and lots don't if using the 'private window with Tor' option....
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13323
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Advertising sidebar content

Postby BJG145 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Wow, this level of patience and philanthropy is beyond me. Any annoying ads in my browser window get hit faster than a biting mosquito.
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4524
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: Advertising sidebar content

Postby innerchord » Mon May 25, 2020 6:57 pm

I didn't realise there were any ads on the SOS site. I've never seen any. But then again, I've never seen an advert on YouTube ;)
innerchord
Regular
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 12:00 am
 

Re: Advertising sidebar content

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 25, 2020 8:15 pm

Are you sure you live on the same planet as the rest of us inner :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: chord?
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13323
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Advertising sidebar content

Postby BJG145 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:48 pm

(I just paused AdBlock on the forum and got an advert for WooCommerce in the sidebar; a WordPress plugin I recently used. So I don't think the ads are curated by SOS.)
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4524
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: Advertising sidebar content

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 25, 2020 10:38 pm

TBH I knew they weren't but I wondered if they can have any control over the nature of the ads. I guess not but I assume Google ads provide a useful income stream.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13323
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Advertising sidebar content

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 27, 2020 7:00 am

1) Eddy, I follow the same line wrt cookies.

2) As I've said probably too many times before I block ads on this site but compensate by buying an online subscription. Nothing I've read here about the ads others see makes me want to change that policy, I'm afraid.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8980
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.