You are here

What are the best professional monitor headphones?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: What are the best professional monitor headphones?

Postby Logarhythm » Sat May 23, 2020 10:16 am

MOF wrote:
Is this for tracking or mixing? You won't go far wrong with.......Sennheiser HD 650 for mixing
You won’t get these at £200 new.
If you're willing to sign up to Drop (formerly Massdrop), their HD6XXs currently come in at $220. Exactly where they'll ship to, and how much it costs, is difficult to discern though.
They're supposedly "based on" a slightly "updated" HD650, although I've no idea how close they are to the originals. Came very close to ordering a pair a couple of years ago, and then I became single again and working with headphones became less of a necessity :lolno:

Edited to add a link: https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 23, 2020 10:22 am

Word of warning, my antivirus system started complaining about the threats it was finding when I visited that 'drop' website!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Sat May 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Word of warning, my antivirus system started complaining about the threats it was finding when I visited that 'drop' website!
I seem to remember trying to look at that site on my iPhone and it just wouldn’t let me in, no doubt due Apple’s web security measures.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Word of warning, my antivirus system started complaining about the threats it was finding when I visited that 'drop' website!
Genuinely rather surprised :shocked:
It's a well-established business and I know people in the US who've purchased other items from them. Nonetheless maybe safer to go with some of the AKGs that Scan seem to perpetually have at very attractive prices :lol:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby BillB » Sat May 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Andyh 56 wrote:Scan.co.uk Are selling refurbished Akg 702's for a knats wotsit under £73. I bought some a couple of weeks ago . So far have been absolutely brilliant. :thumbup:
Well, that sent me off down a rabbit hole. Ordered a pair of K702s - £300-ish back in the day, £73 now:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/studio-headphones
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ak ... ed-edition

Not cutting edge any more, but neither am I :beamup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby iasomph » Sun May 24, 2020 2:15 am

I really like the OPPO PM-3 (which are also one of Bob Katz favorites in this price range). They are discontinued now unfortunately, but maybe you may find them second hand somewhere.

They are closed, but I prefer them to the open HD-650 and AKG 712 I previously had. The HD-650 is good, but in my opinion not very useful for hearing low end information. So, if you work with genres that got a lot of low end going on, I would suggest the OPPO or some other electro-static phones.
iasomph
Regular

Postby manwilde » Tue May 26, 2020 7:37 pm

Hello!. I´ve been using AKG´s 701 for over three years now, and find them a delight to listen music on, but I seem to have trouble calibrating the amount of low end on my mixes when referencing to other tracks... surely my fault, but I wouldn´t mind a bit more bass power on those cans, although the pros here say the low extension is there...
manwilde
Poster

Previous