You are here

1/8" TRRS Mic Cable?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

1/8" TRRS Mic Cable?

Postby jakeman90210 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:58 pm

So I've been playing games online with my friends lately and have started using dicord to talk. I have a focusrite 18i20 as my audio interface and an SM57 as my mic. The first time I tried using discord my friends said my mic wasn't working. Long story short it wasn't working because apparently discord doesn't support external audio interfaces on mac (brilliant right?). So I've been trying to think of a way to use a real mic instead of the crap facetime mic thats built into my iMac that sounds like garbage. I was thinking about using my focusrite basically as a preamp where I route my mic out of a line out and then make a cable that is Male TRS 1/4" to Male TRRS and wiring the hot to the second ring and plugging that into my headphone/headset combo jack on my iMac.

Have any of you done something like this before? Do any of you know where I can get a cable like this or even just where to get an 1/8" TRRS connector?

Thanks
jakeman90210

Re: 1/8" TRRS Mic Cable?

Postby resistorman » Wed May 27, 2020 3:09 am

This might work:

https://www.amazon.com/LyxPro-Connects- ... B01JZWNK32

You probably don’t need a preamp.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Re: 1/8" TRRS Mic Cable?

Postby jakeman90210 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:07 am

I'll try that out, I just did some research and apparently theres an adjustable gain somewhere in the system settings. But I still wonder if it would be enough to boost a 57 up loud enough to be useable/
jakeman90210