You are here

Why are Home Studio Desks so badly designed ?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Why are Home Studio Desks so badly designed ?

Postby zenguitar » Thu May 28, 2020 12:03 am

Height adjustable desks are in fashion these days, and there is a lot to be said for them. However, there is an alternative that I have mentioned here once or twice in the past.

The secret is in the chair, and not the desk. It came to me because in the dim and distant past I worked for a bank, and the cashier's stools were a taller version of the standard office stool/chair. The difference was that they had far greater height adjustment.

A couple of decades later I had a guitar workshop with a standing height workbench. After shutting up one day I was walking through town and a local bank branch was being refurbished. In a skip outside was a tall, adjustable, cashier's stool. A quick chat with a workman and I bought it for £5.

Because the stool is adjustable you can have a standing desk, with the option to sit if you need to. But because the desk is at a fixed height you can optimise the racks/storage beneath the desk without having to allow for the desk height adjusting.

Working standing is a revelation. Instead of stretching, leaning, or twisting to reach stuff you just take a few small steps.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Why are Home Studio Desks so badly designed ?

Postby fruitcake » Thu May 28, 2020 12:31 am

Thanks Martin,

I'm leaning towards having my 88 key controller on the side rather than in front of the monitors. I have a Akai MPKMini that has been great for holding on my lap and putting in simple lines.

This is the desk I'm considering. I'd get one with the rack space only on one side. I don't have much outboard gear anymore. It's pricey, but seems to have a layout that works for me. There's a lot to think about. I don't want to make a dumb mistake with something so big. It's not like a keyboard I can sell off if it's not quite to my liking.

https://argosyconsole.com/aura/aura260

I'm making use of the slow times to build out a music room. It's a lot of work!
fruitcake
Regular
Here are some Unfinished Sounds

Previous