You are here

Biggest stuggles for producers/djs

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Biggest stuggles for producers/djs

Postby domsthetics » Sun May 31, 2020 3:38 pm

Hey guys, I’m trying to come up with ways to make the lives of music producers/djs/artists easier and better understand the problems. :SOS:

That's why I have two questions:
- ​As someone who wants to be better at producing music, what are the biggest struggles you’re dealing?
- Regarding music production, what would you wish for more than anything else?

Thanks so much in advance - Looking forward to reading all your answers! :thumbup:
domsthetics

Re: Biggest stuggles for producers/djs

Postby Mike McLoone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 am

domsthetics wrote:- ​As someone who wants to be better at producing music, what are the biggest struggles you’re dealing?

Biggest struggle is living in a master-slave money driven caste society with satanic undertones. The haves dictating the rules of the game and have-nots on their knees with cupped palms begging. The artists are regarded as even less worth than those on their knees, since they refuse to play the game. Instead, they spend their time creating and distributing artefacts forged using spiritual guidance to help lift and heal the spirits of the surface inhabitants of the planetary body.

domsthetics wrote:- Regarding music production, what would you wish for more than anything else?

I would wish for musicians to have a guaranteed minimum income paid for by the state in order that they can concentrate on artefact creation and distribution, and not have to pretend that they are seeking kneeling positions in the nearest hell-office.

M.
Mike McLoone
Regular
"It's all gone quiet." said Rhubarb "Not nearly quiet enough." said John Cage

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:53 pm

Apart from what Mike said about the generally messed up nature of our society, I'd say for me the biggest challenge is reaching potentially interested listeners. We have global distribution but low barriers to entry mean that there is an overwhelming amount of great content being produced so we rely, to a great extent, on gatekeepers.
Again.
So what would I wish for? Some way to reach that interested audience.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:42 am

blinddrew wrote:Apart from what Mike said about the generally messed up nature of our society, I'd say for me the biggest challenge is reaching potentially interested listeners. We have global distribution but low barriers to entry mean that there is an overwhelming amount of great content being produced so we rely, to a great extent, on gatekeepers.
Again.
So what would I wish for? Some way to reach that interested audience.

Oh this is SO true!

I used to think that having many hundreds of Facebook followers would mean that my music would be heard a lot more, but ironically I get far more positive feedback from SOS Forum users. It seems that current social media algorithms largely rule out getting us potentially interested listeners - unless we start providing them with advertising revenue.

I'm beginning to think that offering an EP or album to an established label whose followers already like music of a similar nature is a more effective approach. If only I was more prolific!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:24 am

domsthetics wrote:Hey guys, I’m trying to come up with ways to make the lives of music producers/djs/artists easier and better understand the problems. :SOS:

That's why I have two questions:
- ​As someone who wants to be better at producing music, what are the biggest struggles you’re dealing?
- Regarding music production, what would you wish for more than anything else?

Thanks so much in advance - Looking forward to reading all your answers! :thumbup:

This is extremely similar to something posted at the start of December by a user who at the time of writing has only made that single post:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 69#p637996

ProducingTekk wrote:Hey everyone, I’m currently trying to find out how one could make the lives of beginning producers a lot easier ;)

Which is why I have two very simple questions:

1. As a beginning producer, what are the 2 biggest issues you’re dealing with?

2. Regarding learning to produce music, what would you wish for more than anything else?

Thanks so much in advance – looking forward to reading your answers! :)

Something doesn't seem quite right here to me :think:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:47 am

Oh dear, well spotted Eddy :thumbup:

Thankfully this thread is once again demonstrating how helpful most of us are, but the Original Poster does now seem to be an impostor, or at the very least a pretender.

Let the helpful thread continue, but let's be a little wary of further posts from the OP.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:48 am

Society is indeed messed up, but we have to work around/with what we’ve got, so there’s no point in dwelling too much on that, most of us are aware of it.
Today has never been a better time, for getting your work "out there" it’s more or less a level playing field, if you’re completely ignored on social media, Youtube, Bandcamp etc etc, it’s may be because you don’t have any talent, or aren’t good at what you do, if you have talent, and are amazing at what you do, people will be attracted to you, and you "will" get on.
But "getting on" means different things to different people, the music I make is in no way very commercial, it’s a minority interest, so my requirements and expectations are very different from a pop or mainstream artist of any sort, my only concern is that a few people get to hear what I do, play the od gig, and I’m very happy.
How can you help me? You could bottle talent, inspiration, and motivation, if you could do that and sell it you’d be billionaire over night, add to that a prediction about where music is going and what the next Zeitgeist will be and you’ll be hailed as the next messiah.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:48 am

Disregarding the potential of the original poster being something of a mischief-maker, without being aware of this post/thread it's something I was musing on during a car-journey earlier.

Many of you guys are 'creating' for your own enjoyment or to get your music 'out there'. And nothing wrong with that - such is the life of a serious muso...

My musing were thinking of the contrast with my own set-up... for the past 50 years or so virtually everything I've done has been some form of 'commission'... making cassette-based talking-magazines; hospital radio; BBC local radio; audio-producer for a charity; voice-over facilities for training videos; recording concerts/albums for individuals or choirs. I can't think of anything I've done that wasn't, in some form, because 'I had to'.

Just musings... no conclusions... contrasts.... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:20 pm

musing out loud here too -
Are you compelled to make music (or produce or DJ) because you just have to?
or
Are you making music to earn a living?

Two very different paths with some overlapping skills but very different requirements.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:51 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:My musing were thinking of the contrast with my own set-up... for the past 50 years or so virtually everything I've done has been some form of 'commission'... making cassette-based talking-magazines; hospital radio; BBC local radio; audio-producer for a charity; voice-over facilities for training videos; recording concerts/albums for individuals or choirs. I can't think of anything I've done that wasn't, in some form, because 'I had to'.

Interesting post Mike. I was wondering whether, when you were first starting off, did you create your own material?

I often tell people that I started off playing instruments because I wanted something to record on my tape recorder. Now that the recording side of things has taken off I rarely do any playing for myself (although I do the odd bit of playing on projects I'm working on occasionally).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:My musing were thinking of the contrast with my own set-up... for the past 50 years or so virtually everything I've done has been some form of 'commission'... making cassette-based talking-magazines; hospital radio; BBC local radio; audio-producer for a charity; voice-over facilities for training videos; recording concerts/albums for individuals or choirs. I can't think of anything I've done that wasn't, in some form, because 'I had to'.

Interesting post Mike. I was wondering whether, when you were first starting off, did you create your own material?

I often tell people that I started off playing instruments because I wanted something to record on my tape recorder. Now that the recording side of things has taken off I rarely do any playing for myself (although I do the odd bit of playing on projects I'm working on occasionally).

That's a good point James...

Yes; I did - and still do - 'create' a lot of my own material. But that 'creation' was because someone expected me to deliver something... not because I felt the urge to create. Some people (not many! :lol: ) tell me that I'm 'creative' and 'imaginative' in the way I derive content and present it, but the driving impetus is still, "we need 15 minutes on this topic by..."

But what I'm doing at the moment is a mixture of production and creation - asking and motivating others to create various things then bringing them all together for c.30 minutes each week. But sometimes within that process I'm creating content as well. Still has to be sitting on YouTube ready to go by 2300 on a Saturday though.

As Sammy Kahn frequently replied when asked, "Which comes first, the melody or the lyrics?"... "The 'phone call."
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:46 am

Mike Stranks wrote:As Sammy Kahn frequently replied when asked, "Which comes first, the melody or the lyrics?"... "The 'phone call."

Oh, I love that one Mike! :bouncy:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:06 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:As Sammy Kahn frequently replied when asked, "Which comes first, the melody or the lyrics?"... "The 'phone call."

Oh, I love that one Mike! :bouncy:

Martin

Yes, it’s strange how I can be galvanised into action when I need money to spend in Sainsbury’s at the end of the week.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby domsthetics » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:46 pm

Arpangel wrote:Society is indeed messed up, but we have to work around/with what we’ve got, so there’s no point in dwelling too much on that, most of us are aware of it.
Today has never been a better time, for getting your work "out there" it’s more or less a level playing field, if you’re completely ignored on social media, Youtube, Bandcamp etc etc, it’s may be because you don’t have any talent, or aren’t good at what you do, if you have talent, and are amazing at what you do, people will be attracted to you, and you "will" get on.
But "getting on" means different things to different people, the music I make is in no way very commercial, it’s a minority interest, so my requirements and expectations are very different from a pop or mainstream artist of any sort, my only concern is that a few people get to hear what I do, play the od gig, and I’m very happy.
How can you help me? You could bottle talent, inspiration, and motivation, if you could do that and sell it you’d be billionaire over night, add to that a prediction about where music is going and what the next Zeitgeist will be and you’ll be hailed as the next messiah.

Thank you for your answer and for helping me better understand your situation. I have to agree with with you &we could talk about society for two weeks straight about what's wrong and what's right about it, but as you said we gotta work with what we've got. Why do you think inspiration and motivation would improve your situation? And would that drastically help you? I'm trying to better understand this problem and how could one help someone with with this struggle.
domsthetics

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:29 am

domsthetics wrote:... we could talk about society for two weeks straight about what's wrong and what's right about it, but as you said we gotta work with what we've got. Why do you think inspiration and motivation would improve your situation? And would that drastically help you? I'm trying to better understand this problem and how could one help someone with with this struggle.

Perhaps it would help if you could give some more context. In your original question you said ...

domsthetics wrote:I’m trying to come up with ways to make the lives of music producers/djs/artists easier and better understand the problems

... but this is a very general request for information and doesn't really tell us what it is you are trying to achieve, or the approach you are taking to achieve it. When Arpangel said:

Arpangel wrote:How can you help me?

... you did not address the question, which I find strange given you started this thread stating that you're "trying to come up with ways to make the lives of music producers/djs/artists easier". I would expect you to have some starting thoughts of your own at the very least.

So far you have only posed very broad questions and given no real information to us yourself. What is the backstory behind the request? If you can provide it then you are far more likely to receive useful replies.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Next