You are here

Very precise eq for single bass pitches?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Very precise eq for single bass pitches?

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Sun May 31, 2020 4:48 am

I've got three specific low frequencies in my room which are very boomy on the piano but which I've managed to catch using the parametric eq in audacity. Others in the same range probably stick out a little too, but I'm starting to suspect that when targeting the problem notes I may also be catching neighbouring notes and deadening them unnecessarily. Far better than the boom, but not really ideal.

Ideally I'd like to be able to find an EQ plugin that's so precise that I can target specific bass pitches. The problem with the graph on audacity is that there's no way to widen the view for low pitches. Although it's easy enough to catch the bad pitches it would be very difficult to single them out. Are there any free plugins where you can zoom right in to the low end, or manually type in the frequencies, maybe?

Also, are there things that could measure the peak levels in very precise frequency ranges, that would assist in checking how big the differences are from note to note?
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Re: Very precise eq for single bass pitches?

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:28 pm

You can get any number of eq plugins with very very narrow notches, but nothing beats Soothe. It tracks the resonance for you:

https://oeksound.com/plugins/soothe2/

And I'd recommend you use Reaper. It's much much better for this sort of thing than Audacity (and I love Audacity).
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:52 pm

Sounds like a useful program, but I don't think I could stretch to that kind of price range, unfortunately.

Are there any particular free ones you could recommend for narrow adjustments? I tried a couple but they turned out to be much less precise than the stock one in audacity. One allowed adjustment at a specific frequency, but then only worked with a curve that was far too wide.

I know there are loads of eq plugins out there but I'm not really sure how to search specifically for one that allows the exact zoning in that I need.
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:00 pm

I can't help feeling that this would be better fixed at source. Either the piano or the room may be easier to manipulate than trying to find a magic equaliser. A few duvets or bass traps in the right place may be all you need.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:19 pm

I've got a lot of rockwool in the room now and already have a duvet hung from the wall. The problem is my room is tiny so I don't think I can do much more.

I've already found I can make a world of difference by attack the three specific frequencies that consistently stand out, but I want to be able to attack them more precisely.
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:25 pm

This is a recording I did yesterday. The low g flat it starts with is one of the problem pitches and I don't think I really cut it down enough here. The b flat above that is the worst of all notes generally, although I've found I can do a lot to improve on the raw results. I'd just like to experiment with being more exact about catching these.

https://youtu.be/oIbwABi9Geo
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:49 pm

Reaper's 'ReaEQ' plug in has a minimum bandwidth (q) of 0.01 octave and a range of -inf to +12 dB. That should be forensic enough for your needs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:11 pm

There's also ReEq (as opposed to ReaEq) available for Reaper which has a specific notch setting.

However, Reaper also includes ReaFIR which, in its compressor mode, is very handy for taming resonances.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:23 pm

Ah, could be useful. Is there anything I can use for audacity with similar precision? I'm not completely intent on avoiding Reaper, but I've tried it and it's a lot more intimidating compared to the simplicity of audacity. I don't do any particularly complex processes (just cleaning up bad frequencies, reducing stereo width and adding mild reverb) so I'm hoping to avoid having to learn the interface for Reaper. When I tried it I found it especially infuriating to not be able to zoom in using the touch pad.
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:53 pm

DDMF LP10.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:35 pm

Nyiregyhazi wrote:Ah, could be useful. Is there anything I can use for audacity with similar precision? I'm not completely intent on avoiding Reaper, but I've tried it and it's a lot more intimidating compared to the simplicity of audacity.

ReaFIR is part of the Reaplugs package which can be downloaded on its own for use with any VST host. http://reaper.fm/reaplugs/
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:19 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the trial of soothe 2 and (while it feels outrageous to potentially blow almost as much on software as on the mics) I'm starting to think about stretching to this now. I did this with it yesterday

https://youtu.be/V6IKBs3zbO8

It was able to take out the worst of the low b flat that is always the biggest problem. As well as saving time in editing recordings for publishing, I like that it's possible to use it for real time playback. I still use my zoom h2n for more casual observational recordings while I'm practising and it could be hugely useful to get those more balanced on instant playback.

I suppose I'm just going to have to pray that a sale comes up before the trial expires.
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Postby Soundcat » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:43 am

I use MAAT Santacruz and find it good for that sort of work.

Sounds good and reasonable CPU usage.
Soundcat
New here

Postby Kwackman » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:39 am

Tokyo Dawn do a plug-in called Nova.
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova-ge/
The GE (Paid for version) has a section called "Smart Ops" that has a "de-resonate" type option.
It's explained in this video. The video also covers other of Tokyo Dawn's plug-ins with "Smart Ops", but I think the Nova is more useful in your situation?
https://youtu.be/GNqfyAa1jxk
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:48 pm

I've been using TDR Nova GE for the last month or so, and am well impressed by its Smartops functions 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Next