You are here

Which Mellotron?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Which Mellotron?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:49 am

I’ve discovered my ultimate Rhodes sound, it’s in the Mellotron app on my iPad.
I would prefer a hardware Mellotron, but which one?
The app has a range of just under five octaves, and the samples loop automatically, these things are all good. But I know the current Mellotron keyboard is only 3 octaves, And also, do the samples automatically loop? or cut off after 8 seconds?
Also, if I got a Mellotron Micro, would connecting an external keyboard up give me a greater range?

PS

Just noticed, no Rhodes sound in the current hardware Mellotrons... :(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Which Mellotron?

Postby IAA » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:26 am

I’ve had (and toured!!) with a real mellotron, had a memotron BUT use M-tron pro and my controller now. Why?
An original mellotron is a devil to play, Noisy, v tricky to maintain and keep in tune. It has just the three sounds unless you hunt down tape racks of increasingly dubious quality. Nostalgia aside it was a nightmare. If you’re wanting the Rhodes sounds and to play it like a piano, you won’t do that on an original. Seriously try a controller and the VST. If you have money to burn, go for the digital recreations Mellotrons own or memotron. I can’t tell the difference between the sounds of the memotron and the GForce VST. And no one else will either.

Thinking of those three concerts with a mellotron 20 years ago still make me sweat :crazy: :crazy:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:27 am

The Google doesn't seem to have any micro reviews, but since it is based on the Mini one would expect most features to be the same... and the Mini has 8-second samples with no looping, and a limited keyboard range.

Apparently the official Mellotron samples are available for the Nord Electro keyboards... but I see no Rhodes sound file.

The Elf is our official on-site Mellortron consultant...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:30 am

I just noticed the Mellotron rack, that would have been the perfect solution, but still no Rhodes sound! It seems my iPad app is the only emulation that has a Rhodes
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:34 am

No it’s not! The GForce Streetly tapes 2 volume 2 has it....

Rhodes - Not that well known, this is a strangely effective and compelling Rhodes rendition from the output of our Skellotron.

Streetly Electronic's Skellotron, an exoskeletal Mellotron which allows easy access to azimuth adjustment and tape alignment for each tape and sound set. Note-by-note recordings from this unique instrument were then transferred to M-Tron Pro format before being cross referenced against their benchmark M4000 by Martin and John for final approval.

I’m not a fanboy of anyone’s but I was seriously impressed with the Streetly banks.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:05 pm

I’ve got to have hardware, if this gets used a lot in our music then I’ve got to take it to gigs.
If it was just studio use I’d go for software.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:16 pm

So let me get this straight...

The reface is not an accurate enough Rhodes emulation for you, but a Mellotron patch is? Despite it having absolutely no velocity response and one 'sample' per key?

And you want a hardware Mellotron despite your prior belief that software versions are now perfectly adequate replacements and you couldn't see the point in hardware versions?

And you're happy to drive a rack version over MIDI despite believing that MIDI latency is a problem?

The world turns in strange ways! :headbang:

That Rhodes sound is available in Streetlytron Pro and in M-Tron's Streetly Tapes Vol 2. For me the latter is the better choice, but knowing you you'll disagree! :lol:

When I play my Mellotron sounds, no matter what is generating the audio, I tend to do so from my real Mellotron keyboard. That sets the key range without me having to think about it, and also gives me poly aftertouch like the real thing. To this end it's a shame that M-Tron has no PAT response, but I have my own way of dealing with that.

So if you want the real 'tron experience that's one thing, but you can't get that Rhodes sound in the hardware version natively.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44 pm

The Elf wrote:So let me get this straight....

No chance... :D And whatever you think you've got straight today will so curved it's pointing in the opposite direction again by next week... :beamup: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:28 am

The Elf wrote:So let me get this straight...

The reface is not an accurate enough Rhodes emulation for you, but a Mellotron patch is? Despite it having absolutely no velocity response and one 'sample' per key?

It’s just a lovely sound, don’t care where it comes from.

The Elf wrote:And you want a hardware Mellotron despite your prior belief that software versions are now perfectly adequate replacements and you couldn't see the point in hardware versions?

I need hardware for gigging, and long-term use, not built in redundancy.

The Elf wrote: And you're happy to drive a rack version over MIDI despite believing that MIDI latency is a problem?

It doesn’t matter with a Mellotron, it’s sluggish anyway, all over the place, it’s not an issue.

The Elf wrote: The world turns in strange ways! :headbang:

Things change, and are rarely straightforward with gear etc, as we all know.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:09 am

:thumbup:

I would have given pretty much the same answers. I'm not a Mellotron purist, but I love what they do.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:05 am

The Elf wrote::thumbup:

I would have given pretty much the same answers. I'm not a Mellotron purist, but I love what they do.

Yes, it’s got to be one of my all times faves, my dream rig would be a 4000D, a Fender Rhodes Suitcase 88, and a Moog, of some sort. I’ll leave out the Hammond, never did get those, whenever I sit down at one I come over all confused and don’t know what I should do with it, I can’t get any form of expression out of electronic organs at all.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:56 pm

It's what the right foot is for! That and the drawbacks. :ugeek:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:19 pm

The Elf wrote:
So let me get this straight....

No chance... :D And whatever you think you've got straight today will so curved it's pointing in the opposite direction again by next week... :beamup: :lol:
:lol:
It’s probably the Wurlitzer or Pianet sound he’s really after and doesn’t know it yet.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Arpangel wrote:I can’t get any form of expression out of electronic organs at all.
Actually Hammonds can be very expressive, as long as you understand the subtelty related to touch and velocity. I'm no expert, but I can bluff it. Most people don't know, but a Hammond is not a simple note on/note off instrument.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:52 pm

I’d stick a controller on the iPad. It would be exponentially more reliable than a Mellotron. Actually, a Windows XP computer would be too :D
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Next