You are here

Bose S-1 battery issues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:12 pm

Erm.... Next time we meet I need to have a quiet word with you... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:28 pm

Bloody hell, amongst his myriad other jobs Hugh is the Tooth Fairy.... :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:47 am

Sugar Plum Fairy, more like! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:57 am

Entirely too much information Dr R :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 am

:shocked: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:15 am

Came back to this thread about a week ago after a break and learned about the firmware update. I applied it and a week later my S1 is still showing at 100% on the connect app. So thanks, guys, you fixed my problem for me.

I must say I'm still concerned at Bose's QA standards. This really should have been picked up during system testing.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:25 am

I've had a notice saying they've 'repaired' my S1 and it's on its way back. No information as to what the fault was or what they've actually done, though, but I can easily check to see if they've replaced the battery pack when it is back here.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:54 pm

I just checked my two S1, which have been unused for a few weeks, one is registering 90% and the other 100% so I guess mine are 'fixed' too. One has been back to Bose in Belgium twice the second has only had the firmware update.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Heading towards 10 weeks & my own S1 is still reading above 90% (no repair, just firmware update) :thumbup:

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:50 pm

Has anyone actually tested the runtime of their battery after a month of storage to see if it is the same (near as dammit) as a freshly charged battery?

I'm sure the battery capacity really is as full as it says, but the firmware update could just have changed the discharge curve calculation so it appears to stay fuller for longer... :lol: :think:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:16 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Has anyone actually tested the runtime of their battery after a month of storage to see if it is the same (near as dammit) as a freshly charged battery?

Good point, but don't think I can personally face the prospect of 2x 6 hours-ish of high-volume pink noise just to find out. :lol:

I'm sure the battery capacity really is as full as it says, but the firmware update could just have changed the discharge curve calculation so it appears to stay fuller for longer... :lol: :think:

Well, that's put the cat among the pigeons!
They wouldn't do that, would they? Surely not? :shocked:

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:26 pm

I'd hope not... but who knows? It was a flippant comment, but companies have been known to do strange things to save face sometimes...

I'm finding it a little hard to fathom how a firmware update has changed the battery discharge when the unit is switched off, but I have no knowledge at all about how the speakers control and monitoring circuitry works.

I shall see how my speaker performs when it returns next week.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:29 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Has anyone actually tested the runtime of their battery after a month of storage to see if it is the same (near as dammit) as a freshly charged battery?

Just when I was becoming happy with my S1's again....... :cry: That had crossed my mind but, despite my other issues with Bose I decided to refrain from mentioning it. Bose claim that 'in use' battery life has been improved by the firmware updates (but they also said in did not solve the battery drain issue :headbang: so who knows what to believe).

Either way, they do hold charge better than my first one did as it was completely flat in less than two weeks.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby AlecSp » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:01 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'd hope not... but who knows? It was a flippant comment, but companies have been known to do strange things to save face sometimes...
Maybe Bose have been learning from VW...?
AlecSp
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm finding it a little hard to fathom how a firmware update has changed the battery discharge when the unit is switched off

I'm not. I have the example of Olympus recorders before me. The earlier models like the LS10 tested extra memory every time you turned them on and as a result if you had a large SD card fitted it could take a surprising amount of time to start up. This could be a real problem if you wanted to record something in a hurry. For later models they had a solution. It only did this check the first time after you fitted new batteries. After that it retained the value and started up very quickly. Trouble is, however it did it, it drained the batteries and after about 4 weeks or so you had a dead set of batteries and a dead recorder. I've avoided Olympus kit ever since.

The S1 must have been performing some sort of housekeeping task that drained power in a similar way. Find a way of doing it that didn't drain power and you've sorted it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

PreviousNext