You are here

Macbook Pro Installation ???

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Macbook Pro Installation ???

Postby pianoworldstage » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:19 am

Hi

Could anyone kindly explain the difference between full installation and compact installation when installing a sample library on a Macbook Pro.

I intend to purchase Garritans Concert Grand,
and upon the installation process Garritan states..

There are 2 installation configurations to choose from (both versions on the same flash drive)

Full: all three perspectives at their full-fat size

Compact: again, all three perspectives, but with a lighter design for smaller drives (Laptop SSDs) and more compact systems.

Full version will take approx 150GB of drive space. Compact version will take around 36GB.

If choosing the compact version, although all three perspectives (3 mic positions) are still included, will the lighter design void me from any additional features? As the price is just the same for Full or Compact version.
pianoworldstage
Regular

Re: Macbook Pro Installation ???

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:24 am

Although both the full and compact versions offer the three versions of the piano, the difference seems quite well explained in the Sound On Sound review of the CFX Concert Grand which states:

Robin Bigwood in Sound On Sound wrote: ‘Full’ is the no-holds barred multi-sampled monster. Every note sampled full length, apparently at 20 dynamic levels, and including an entire soft pedal una corda sample set.

‘Compact’ uses approximately a fifth the number of samples, fewer dynamic levels, and just soft pedal emulation.

The Sound On Sound review came out in December 2014 but I would say the difference between 'full' and 'compact' won't have changed much, if at all.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby pianoworldstage » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Therefore i would indeed want the full version. Although Garritan recommends the compact version, lighter design for smaller drives (Laptop SSDs. Would i be fine installing the full version on a Macbook Pro? Alternatively the sample library can be installed on an external drive, is that correct?
pianoworldstage
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:20 pm

I'd say that it depends on how much disk space you have. If you have plenty of spare space then go for the full version. The manual was probably written in the days when 128GB SSD's were considered large but these days that's pretty small for an SSD.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby pianoworldstage » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:04 am

Thank you to all music creationists who supported this post.
pianoworldstage
Regular