You are here

DESPERATE FOR HELP with Cubase software!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

DESPERATE FOR HELP with Cubase software!

Postby forumuser773232 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:03 am

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this, I getting more frustrated by the day and loosing more of my hair. And before anyone says, 'have you contacted Steinberg', yes I have and they are useless!! They did not help and keep telling me the same thing but never really answering my question of supplying me with instructions.

My problem is, I currently am running Cubase AI 9.5 on an older computer, Win 8. Recently the computer started to have some tech issues so I needed to change to a new computer. So have a new computer installed Win 10 Pro.

I have saved all my Cubase project folders from the previous computer, so there is no issue there in moving them to new computer. But with the new computer when I download the elicenser it won't bring up any of my licenses I currently have active. I can't install Cubase software because the original copy which is on my old computer, was a download and not on any dongle or CD. So in order to download another copy, I need to reactivate my registration for the new computer, yet no matter what I do, install and uninstall of the Steinberg Downlaod manager and eLicenser Control Centre, does nothing, it still will NOT allow me to access or come up with my registered software activation number. And because of that, I can't access or download another copy of my Cubase sotfware.

Can somebody PLEASE help me sort this issue out if you are using Cubase?

I have all my projects saved on current computer, and also the software is registered for use on this computer. How do I transfer the LE software to my new computer and the registration without the new to again purchase it and how do I transfer my saved projects to new computer without the loss of any data?
forumuser773232
Poster

Re: DESPERATE FOR HELP with Cubase software!

Postby djangodeadman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:53 am

I assume that you have already followed the procedure for reactivation described here:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25117

If not, is it helpful in anyway?
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby forumuser773232 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:40 am

Thanks for this,

I finally got the e-Licencer CC to work and Downloade manager. So one step forward, but now in my e-Licencer, my licensed Cubase with its soft e-Licenser number shows. But when I put this into the 'reactivate license' it does not accept it, saying it is an old 'soft e-Licenser number'! So how do I get a new one if I can't register on my new computer? I don't have a copy of Cubase installed on new computer either, as I can't download it until I get access to it via a new activation number.

One thing, my old computer was Win 8 (64 Bit) and my new computer is Win 10 Pro (32 bit). I noticed in my 'download manager/' I have option to download a 64 bit version of Cubase. I don't have an option to download a 32 bit version as I think thats why I need the reactivation code. But having said that, if I downloaded the 64 bit version would it be fine to install and work on my 32 bit computer?
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:21 am

I am sorry for your troubles Forumuser and I agree Steinberg* can be very hard to deal with but I HAVE to ask.. Why on earth did you opt for a 32 bit system with the massive ram limitation that implies?

*I had a similar problem some years ago but kept at them and eventually got a chap (Ralph iirc) to give me one on one help and got me sorted. I was just a bloody nuisance until eventually someone helped. Look for email addresses to press departments. Might help to bother the A off Yamaha as well.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby forumuser773232 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:56 pm

why did I choose a 32 bit system?
The computer came with an installed version of Win 10 Pro which is 32 bit. Other than that, the computer has everything I need and anyway I only use it for recording solely. I have another computer for everything else.
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby RichardT » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:58 pm

forumuser773232 wrote:Thanks for this,

One thing, my old computer was Win 8 (64 Bit) and my new computer is Win 10 Pro (32 bit). I noticed in my 'download manager/' I have option to download a 64 bit version of Cubase. I don't have an option to download a 32 bit version as I think thats why I need the reactivation code. But having said that, if I downloaded the 64 bit version would it be fine to install and work on my 32 bit computer?

No, it won’t work. I don’t think you can run any recent version of Cubase on your new computer.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Cubase has been 64-bit only for a while. It may explain the trouble you're having.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:31 pm

A lot of my Cuba's licensing problems were solved by deleting the .sel file. Do a search on c:drive for *.sel file and delete it. It has this habit of re-appearing from time to time. Another thing to bear in mind is always use the same USB slot for the dongle.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby forumuser773232 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:26 pm

No dongle, its soft e-licenser.
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby DanR » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:57 pm

forumuser773232 wrote:I don't have a copy of Cubase installed on new computer either, as I can't download it until I get access to it via a new activation number.

Hi
You shouldn’t need an activation number to download Cubase but will to use it.
I’m not sure if you can even get another copy of Cubase AI 9.5 from the site as it’s now
The original copy on your Win 8 PC was obviously registered so best bet is to contact Steinberg. They should be able to issue a new activation code for Cubase AI 10.5.
I think it will need a 64 bit version of Windows though so addressing that is the main thing.
DanR
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Yes, I had missed the bit about it being 32bit. I too am not so sure any of the later Cubases will run on 32bit

I think you can change Win10/32 to WIn10/64 in situ, I don't think you need re-install

Are you sure you are logging into the right Cubase account?

I can't remember how it happened but at one point I ended up with 2 separate accounts and yep, one of them was an A.I account, I think it came free with some hardware.

Anyway, in the end, and with Steinberg's help (they do reply eventually - I waited 2 weeks for a reply) they consolidated all my licenses into one account

Surely you will have a record of your activations and serial number(s) when I 'lost' a download, I went to the site, downloaded a new copy and the previous serial number meant I could activate it afresh. I was told by Steinberg though - "Don't make a habit of this!"
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)