You are here

iPad edition, landscape mode but no zooming?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

iPad edition, landscape mode but no zooming?

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:54 pm

It is now possible to use the pad in landscape mode (yay!) but I cant find how to zoom to make the text a reasonable size.

Am I missing something obvious? )
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Ipad edition, landscape mode but no zooming?

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 pm

Sorry, it is still not possible to zoom.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,382 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 pm

I just use a browser on the ipad for SOS.
Brave works well with SOS.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:06 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I just use a browser on the iPad for SOS.
Brave works well with SOS.

Good to know, but it's not the same thing - presumably you're using it to access web versions of the articles (which is part of the Digital sub), not the actual tablet layout pages/adverts?

The tablet offers an offline experience.

Note: the new v11.4.1 (iOS) and v11.5 (Android) use a completely different download mechanism. Tapping the tablet's magazine front covers opens each but downloads articles on-the-fly as you read them and requires wi-fi to do so. If you tap the cloud icon at the top-right, it will download the full issue to your device.
Forum Admin

Re: iPad edition, landscape mode but no zooming?

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Interesting. My problem is one of bandwidth. Would I use less if I didn’t download the entire issue? I also rarely watch SOS videos or listen to the audio blog articles for the same reason. I know I’m missing an important part of the SOS experience.

Also zoom is very useful for these old eyes!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:31 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Interesting. My problem is one of bandwidth. Would I use less if I didn’t download the entire issue?

Yes. That is the reason why our App development supplier Twixl Media have moved to this Article-based format rather than the previous Issue-based one. It lets you download only articles you wish to keep, without needing to download the whole magazine tablet edition and thus uses up less bandwidth and less storage space (unless you do indeed download the whole issue).

I also rarely watch SOS videos or listen to the audio blog articles for the same reason. I know I’m missing an important part of the SOS experience.

If you have a tablet sub bought directly from SOS (ie. not from Apple) then it comes with 4 ways to view/access our monthly content, and each have their own benefits.

The Digital sub's FULL ISSUE PDF (see your My Account > Downloads library) is available to read both on tablet and smartphone and does allow full pinch-zoom of any page. The Tablet app does not (technical reasons but we're hoping to get Twixl to add it back!).

The Digital sub also includes Web access to open the locked-for-5-months articles, and some have video links to our YouTube channel and downloadable hi-res ZIPs and/or MP3 audio in our SoundCloud channel player.

Recently, we added the Replica Digital Magazine, which opens only in a browser, is not downloadable, but gives you the effect of flicking through magazine pages. This is currently free for everyone as a gesture of goodwill during the pandemic, but now comes as part of all sold DIGITAL subs but only when bought from SOS site (not from Apple).

Digital and Print+Digital subscribers will find the replica DM in their REPLICA tab of My Account. Anyone else can claim it at www.soundonsound.com/digital-magazine

Agreed, hence why we now include a bonus Full Issue PDF with every Digital subscription. And with the dropping of VAT on digital subs in the UK recently, this is even better value than before!
Forum Admin

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:45 pm

It keeps getting better and better!

I’ll be renewing my subscription. The reviews etc are all still top notch but my favourite these days is the forum. Some seriously good chuckles now and then as well as a much valued resource.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:It keeps getting better and better!

I’ll be renewing my subscription.

Why thank you, kind sir. We work hard to please our readers and loyal subscribers, so comments like that make our day. :angel:
Forum Admin

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:15 pm

I have to say I've raised the zoom issue for the interactive iPad (not PDF) version before and I'd vote for it still. It does seem an odd limitation from a reader's point of view, though I realise we don't know the full story.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:34 pm

The Elf wrote:I have to say I've raised the zoom issue for the interactive iPad (not PDF) version before and I'd vote for it still. It does seem an odd limitation from a reader's point of view, though I realise we don't know the full story.

We totally agree with you here, and always have. Pinch-zoom is the fundamental action that made the iPad famous. Our original 2012 app was made using Adobe Digital Publishing System (DPS) and they didn't have it for a few years, then introduced it. We were happy.

Then Adobe jacked their pricing up and we had to abandon DPS and quickly find a commercially acceptable new app developer/hosting company and convert all the back issue from the tablet into the new app format. They told us at the time that pinch-zoom was under consideration, but in the 5+ years we've been with them, they have not introduced it and tell us it is not a priority. Unbelievable really! They've just done the same with bookmarks, removing them from this latest v11.4.1 article-based app -- why, we have no idea! (We've complained, as have other publisher users of their platform.)

In truth, they want us to adopt a full HTML5 platform, which turns the app into an offline website with the facility to enlarge/shrink browser pages that way, so in their minds why have pinch/zoom? We're considering how we might be able to go down this route.
Forum Admin

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 pm

I share your frustration. :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:52 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:

Martin Brody, Chief of Police on Martha's Vineyard wrote:"You're gonna need a bigger iPad"

shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby CS70 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Thank you Ian - I somehow had forgotten that the PDF version is available, and that of course would solve my not-yet-admitting-I-need-glasses problem.

Now I have just to remember where it is... :D

Agreed it would feel very odd to someone totally new to SOS, as most other magazines have it. But so long you guys are working on it it's good - the PDF will do just fine.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:45 pm

CS70 wrote:Thank you Ian - I somehow had forgotten that the PDF version is available, and that of course would solve my not-yet-admitting-I-need-glasses problem.

Now I have just to remember where it is... :D

This help guide link will, ahem, help you for sure:
How to find and access your SOS Digital sub features
Forum Admin

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:05 am

shufflebeat wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:

Martin Brody, Chief of Police on Martha's Vineyard wrote:"You're gonna need a bigger iPad"

I’m still waiting for the day when I see somebody pressing a 12.9” ipad to the side of their head using it as a phone.
:headbang:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next