You are here

Using Kontakt with Logic

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Using Kontakt with Logic

Postby willie45 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi

I'm trying to learn how to do this stuff so bear with me please. I have Kontakt 6 and Logic.

I just managed to understand that I need to adjust the Kontakt instruments all to take input from port A and use channel 1 so that I can play them all in the same window. (Previously, I was getting frustrated by only being able to play one instrument at a time.)

Now I have a new issue. It's pretty basic so I'm hoping its a really quick fix. Anyway, if I open a new project in Logic, start a new track and add any Kontakt instrument eg a Violin it works fine. If I create another track and try to open another instrument, lets say a piano, in Kontakt with the intention of having it play separately in that track, what I actually get is the same Kontakt window with the violin from track 1 on it and also the piano which both play at the same time on track 1 but ( IIRC - I'm confused ) nothing in track 2.

I suspect I'm messing up the settings in Logic because honestly, this input/output/bus stuff makes my head hurt.

I'd appreciate any help available.

Thank you
willie45
Poster

Re: Using Kontakt with Logic

Postby IAA » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:55 pm

How are you creating a new track? Are you duplicating the first one or selecting new instrument track?
IAA
Frequent Poster

Re: Using Kontakt with Logic

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:02 pm

willie45 wrote:I just managed to understand that I need to adjust the Kontakt instruments all to take input from port A and use channel 1 so that I can play them all in the same window.

You are using the Kontakt *plugin* inside Logic, yes? Not the standalone version?

The port setting shouldn't matter.

willie45 wrote:(Previously, I was getting frustrated by only being able to play one instrument at a time.)

There are generally two ways to use multiple instruments.

The simplest is to just use one instance of Kontakt for every sound. So, create a software instrument track with Konktakt, load an instrument into Kontakt, and play. For the next sound, create a new software instrument track, with another Kontakt, and load your second sound into Kontakt, and so on.

The other is to use one instance of Kontakt, but to load multiple instruments in it, each responding to a different MIDI channel (so, eg, when you play on MIDI channel 1, you are playing the Kontakt sound set to respond to MIDI channel 1, and so on.)

You can do this in Logic too, when you create a new software instrument track, just tick "multitimbral" and however many parts you want (up to 16), and Logic will create all the various tracks necessary. Now, load your different sounds in Kontakt, and remember to set the receiving MIDI channel of each to match the tracks in Logic. Selecting the Logic track for MIDI channel 1 will play the first instrument, the next track the next, etc.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio