You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:35 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It's not a clever position to be in strategically, but the continual myopic consumer drive for 'cheaper' has played it that way...

It’s a sensitive and very serious issue, consumers (ugh) just want cheap, morals about workers and human rights don’t come into it, the Chinese have capitalised on greed, haven’t they done well! They copied our system and did it better! That rings a bell.
And now, we’re starting to get a bit uneasy about it, oh dear, but how about paying a bit more for "stuff" paying a fair price, and maybe god forbid, having less choice, but better, higher quality products produced by people who aren’t horrendously exploited.
Cheap labour forces wages down, across the board, demand for cheap products push manufactures to the limit, cutting corners and employing labour in countries that have appalling human rights records, it’s our own fault, and by doing this we are fuelling a fire that will have dire consequences for the future.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:16 pm

New clone from MT's semiconductor subsidary Coolaudio, the V3397. Its supposedly an improved version of the CEM CM3396 "synth-on-a-chip".

Behringer FB wrote:Wow - imagine a complete “Analog Synth On-a-Chip”.
Our sister company Coolaudio who designs highly sophisticated semiconductors, has just released a complete voice (2 multi-waveform Oscillators, a VCF plus 4 VCAs) on a single chip. The chip is an improved version of the Curtis CM3396 and will allow us to create high-performance analog poly synths in a very compact manner. Stay tuned...

Very interesting :thumbup:
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:18 am

Concerning the BBD-320 there is a post on GS here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=400 with a shot of the internals.

A lot of empty space with 4 PCB's, one for the power indicator and switch, one with what appears to have the main BBD circuitry and level meter, one for the front panel controls and lastly one for the I/O, PSU and mains inlet (the PSU is not a separate module from what I can see).
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:03 pm

DGL. wrote:Concerning the BBD-320 there is a post on GS here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=400 with a shot of the internals.

A lot of empty space with 4 PCB's, one for the power indicator and switch, one with what appears to have the main BBD circuitry and level meter, one for the front panel controls and lastly one for the I/O, PSU and mains inlet (the PSU is not a separate module from what I can see).

:D That’s about what I thought it would like in there. It would make a nice pedal!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:44 am

resistorman wrote:That’s about what I thought it would like in there. It would make a nice pedal!

I've got the Boss DC-2w which tries to do the Dimension D thing... I'm unable to compare it directly, but as a studio bod rather than a guitarist, I'd rather have a rack that runs on higher rails. 9V boxes clip way too readily with synths.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 am

I have both the Dimension D rack and the Dimension C pedal. The pedal is good, but it's not up to the rack. They are different creatures, with different aims.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:53 pm

The Elf wrote:I have both the Dimension D rack and the Dimension C pedal. The pedal is good, but it's not up to the rack. They are different creatures, with different aims.

The DC-2w has a switch for both modes... the C sounds more modulated to me. I'd be interested in a direct A/B between the DC-2w and an original Dimension D. I wonder how close the circuit really is. I'd expect it just to be modulation switching from the C circuit rather than anything more fancy.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby DGL. » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:18 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
resistorman wrote:That’s about what I thought it would like in there. It would make a nice pedal!

I've got the Boss DC-2w which tries to do the Dimension D thing... I'm unable to compare it directly, but as a studio bod rather than a guitarist, I'd rather have a rack that runs on higher rails. 9V boxes clip way too readily with synths.

I do believe, however, that the voltage rails on the BBD-320 are probably around the 9V mark as the coolaudio BBD's are a lower voltage version, would need to check that data sheet to confirm though.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:11 pm

Signal clipping is all about the gain structure of the analogue input stage.

The voltage rail for the BBD is irrelevant -- the analogue input stage conditions the signal appropriately for the BBD's operating level.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby DGL. » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:19 pm

On mobile so can't post the link but Behringer on FB have been asking if they would like them to make the most desirable synth ever made.
There is a picture of an ARP 2500 underneath :o
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:34 pm

Please stop posting unnecessary information in this thread, I'm waiting for news of the 2600. Thank you. :tongue:

*edit*

Wait...a 2500...? Really...?

Does that make business sense...? I don't know the specs. This is the stuff of dreams.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:10 pm

I'm weary of all this ground bait that Behringer are throwing in the water. It's cloudy enough here as it is.

Their time would be better spent actually delivering some of this stuff they've been promising for the past couple of years (the CS-80 and OBX spring immediately to mind), or their credibility is going to suffer.

As to a 2500... :yawn:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DGL. » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:56 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm weary of all this ground bait that Behringer are throwing in the water. It's cloudy enough here as it is.

Their time would be better spent actually delivering some of this stuff they've been promising for the past couple of years (the CS-80 and OBX spring immediately to mind), or their credibility is going to suffer.

As to a 2500... :yawn:

Arguably they all will materialize, COVID will be hampering things but that will (hopefully) be temporary, the Ub-Xa is at the firmware stage so is quite well advanced so they are getting somewhere.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 pm

DGL. wrote:Arguably they all will materialize.

...yeah, I think they've delivered several decent clones so far so I'm happy to forgive a bit more self-indulgence on social media.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:06 am

BJG145 wrote:
DGL. wrote:Arguably they all will materialize.

...yeah, I think they've delivered several decent clones so far so I'm happy to forgive a bit more self-indulgence on social media.
If we go though the list of clones there is so far,

Deepmind 12/6 (based on the Juno 106)
Model D
Cat
Wasp
K2
PRO-1
ODYSSEY
MS-1/101
TD-3
RD-8
Some system 100 modules