You are here

Cheeky b.....s!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Cheeky b.....s!

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:35 am

About a week ago I noticed Ms had installed the 'new and improved' Edge browser on my HP W7 laptop (I don't use it everyday now I have a W10 lappy)

Now, I am PDsure I did not download it and install it myself. moreover it presumes to be my default browser and overrides Fire fox. I have not removed it so far, worried about implications?

Tonight I find Edge installed on the AMD 6core I use exclusively for music work and although copper connected to the internet I rarely use it on that. Since it would be of no great bother to me if that desktop could no longer go on line I decided to uninstall Edge with Revo.
Took a while! And Revo found a fair chunk of stuff in the Registry which I have deleted.

How very dare they!!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Cheeky b.....s!

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:07 am

MS sucks the fat root.

I loathe the whole Software as as Service crapola fest. A machine should do as it's told until told otherwise and when I spend $$ on a device, spend a shedload of time configuring it, etc. I kinda expect it to stay there.

but nooooooo. Fracking MBA's and an army of selfish coders always gotta know better than me. Asshats :-)

My biggest peeve is when MS totally wipes my firewall settings so all their bloatware can start porting my data back to the NSA and some pointy noised dweeb in Palo Alto. I mean really.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:43 am

I've had the new 'Edge' installed at work (don't have a choice) but not suffered it on my own PC...yet.

I also use a payroll program called Health Roster at work. When you close it, it asks if you're sure you want to close it. When you agree it closes & then instantly opens itself up again! 4 clicks to make it go away! It's like having Real Player back. I hate software that won't take 'no' for an answer.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?

Postby innerchord » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:54 am

I was very happy to see Edge as an upgrade for Windows 7, since I can now get my clients to use that instead of the very old and very holey Internet Explorer 11 some of them insist on firing up!
innerchord
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:44 am

Yesterday my partner came running and said "there’s a strange blue thing on my desktop!"
Uh-Oh! I thought, it was Edge, I just deleted all shortcuts and changed her update settings, Firefox is still the default browser, and hopefully, all seems to be OK.
My main computer is a Mac running Sierra, it makes her PC look like a nightmare sometimes.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:42 am

innerchord wrote:I was very happy to see Edge as an upgrade for Windows 7, since I can now get my clients to use that instead of the very old and very holey Internet Explorer 11 some of them insist on firing up!

As much as we here as more experienced users hate it, this is why it's the correct policy to force the roll out.

Edge replaced ie a good 3 or 4 years ago now is more secure and better performing. Looking at Wikipedia (FWIW) the suggestion is that both browsers had roughly the same market share last year of around 5%.

I suspect the only people left using it are either being forced to do so via work restrictions or users with less technical knowledge who just want to browse the news and check some e-mail and perhaps.

i.e's no longer safe for any of the above tasks and given we're talking about users who have so far not cared enough to go and download something else, the chances are they are not going to go looking for the ie replacement either.

So, it's either force it out to everyone or you end up with a chunk of the internet using an unsupported browser and being very, very easy targets for cyber crooks.

The question to ask here is which headline out of these would have the bigger impact on the MS stock price?

"Microsoft updated my windows and put a new program on my machine"
or
"Granny loses life savings in attack on Microsoft internet browser"

Another way to look at it is this. For years we complained about Microsoft corrupting web standards by trying to force everyone to use their code over general approved WWW standards. For years, this broke things left right and center because it was their way or nothing.

Now we have a Edge browser running on flipping Chromium.... I mean, this is not only Microsoft holding their hands up and saying "hey, we were wrong", but they are having to go and replace the previous piece of junk they fostered upon us for so many years in order to make things right again.

As much as I don't like stuff randomly appearing on my machine, I'll happily take the update if it means i.e. is finally relegated to the annals of history.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:37 am

Thanks Pete, points taken.

My regular internet machine is this Lenovo W10 laptop using Fire fox. The Edge afflicted desktop very rarely goes online.
The HP i3 laptop uses Fire fox the rare time I use it for email but since it now has Edge I might give that do!

I have a desktop 'clunker' Asus M4N68T-M-LE-V2 which is in my livning room and runs my printer/scanner and provides radio into a hi fi amp. That still runs IE 11 but really only BBC.com and almost 100% only R3. About six months ago the beeb kept telling me that I was using an old browser and the service would stop. For several reasons (but mainly being a lazy b!) I did nothing and now it just keeps going and I no longer get warnings. Indeed! I often leave this PC running from 6am to past midnight and R3 is always there when I switch the amp on.

I have just checked for updates from Ms and there is but one Optional. Not Edge!

I do not have internet banking and only use Barclaycard to buy from 'Zon and VERY rarely other places.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:41 am

It's gotta be a personal thing, but I really don't see where the fuss is about. To me it's like people getting free pizzas and complaining because sometimes they come with olives.

Edge is on all my machines and I simply never use it. Isn't that so simple? Who cares?

I care very much of no-name programs (like many of the purported "cleaners") which install all sort of CPU-consuming services and processes and even the occasional LSA provider without the user realizing (only to complain after a while that "the computer has become slow, this Windows really suck")

But that the manufacturer of the OS comes with updates, maintains the system for you and adds the occasional system software (for reasons well explained in Pete's post above - because a lot of it users cannot distinguish a security issue from Candy Crush Saga)... what's the big deal?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby resistorman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:21 pm

Well said, Pete. :clap:

I use the original Edge for PDFs... very good for that, y’all should try it. My complaint with the new “Credge” is that the PDF functions aren’t complete yet, such as not generating a table of contents, but they have said their working on it.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:01 pm

resistorman wrote:Well said, Pete. :clap:

I use the original Edge for PDFs... very good for that, y’all should try it. My complaint with the new “Credge” is that the PDF functions aren’t complete yet, such as not generating a table of contents, but they have said their working on it.

I am a user of Edge (I am weird in that it's my main browser!, mainly because it's fast and light) and got incredibly annoyed when a restart force installed "Credge" which in terms of UI is vastly inferior in my view, plus if it's installed as part of a windows update removing it isn't so easy (but possible luckily).
I have used both Opera and Firefox (and do have Firefox installed just in case and for the times when some website won't work properly in Edge, Cornerstone being a bugger sometimes) but prefer Edge by quite a margin.

IIRC the only reason why we have "Credge" is because google were/are slowing down their websites when it detects you are running Edge (or it was extra code added that only slowed down Edge), something it can't do if said browser is based on the same foundation as theirs. As with Windows Phone, Google knew Microsoft had a superior product and did what they could to stop them (iirc benchmarks around the time Edge was first released showed that it was quite a bit faster than Chrome whilst being less of a resource hog).
In someways Microsoft just gave in, something in my view was a mistake.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby miN2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:23 pm

Edge is actually a cool browser. It's not my default, but i value it as the occasional backup.
miN2
Poster

Postby innerchord » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:25 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:
innerchord wrote:I was very happy to see Edge as an upgrade for Windows 7, since I can now get my clients to use that instead of the very old and very holey Internet Explorer 11 some of them insist on firing up!

As much as we here as more experienced users hate it, this is why it's the correct policy to force the roll out.
As much as I don't like stuff randomly appearing on my machine, I'll happily take the update if it means i.e. is finally relegated to the annals of history.
Thanks Pete. I hoped you'd be along to type out the long version.
Edge: Just install it, and then don't use it if you don't want to. :lol:
innerchord
Regular

Postby cyrano.mac » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:37 am

Wot, none of you is running Brave, or Vivaldi, or iCab, or...

As to SAAS, the payment calculation system we use at the office, needs Internet Explorer, preferably on Win7. The devs think that's OK. It'll be a happy day when I no longer have to work with these guys. A while ago, when I reported a pretty disastrous bug, they told me it was because I was using it too fast. Imagine a system failing because it's user is too fast. :crazy:
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:38 am

Here's your desert, sir. If you don't want the shit, don't eat it.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby innerchord » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:42 am

Watchmaker wrote:Here's your desert, sir.
If you hate Microsoft software as much as you appear to do why do you use it at all? There are alternatives. It's exactly the same argument. Nobody is forcing you to use Windows.
innerchord
Regular

Next