You are here

Electricity and ground question in home studio

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Electricity and ground question in home studio

Postby ef37a » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:48 am

As stated more than once, you can only have the wiring system approved by the local code.

In UK the vast majority of home recordists, even those of the highest standards, work in places wired to regulation 'ring' circuits and very few, from my years of reading SOS forums, have issues with that. Once in a while someone has a question about 'brown outs' or complete power loss but such problems are easily (if expensively!) sorted with a UPS.

The source of your power can be an issue. Are you in a big town/city and served with a stable, clean supply? If so I doubt whatever the regulation wiring gives you will cause you any bother. After all, manufacturers of audio kit HAVE to make it so it works on 'standard' supplies though it must be said, some do not take proper account of allowable voltage tolerances and RFI on the line!

The first and most important matter is that you have a safe and legal electricity system, only after that can you worry about any grounding issues.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 am

Ring mains circuits are only to be found in the UK. The rest of the world uses thicker cable and a star configuration.

When we built our studio, I decided on things being done the German way, with thicker 30 amp cable and one cable leading to one outlet. I also had everything grounded at every possible point and linked to Mother Earth. As we have three buildings, each earth or ground is linked also to each other (i.e. a unified earth) and to the structure of the building, including the metal in the roofs and the aluminium in the insulation materials.

Back in the bad old days when I was playing Captain Repair Man, buzzing or other gremlins coming from home organs, home studios or hi-fi systems most were a result of bad earthing.

We had one amusing interference problem where some poor bloke in Luxembourg had Radio Luxembourg coming from his Yamaha home organ. During the day, Honey B. Benson in German and at night, Jimmy Saville - it doesn't get worse than that! We tried everything including improving the earthing, but it all made very little difference. Then we looked at the map - the transmitter was less than a kilometer away. I bet he was very happy when that station closed down!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:48 pm

It does get worse than that Red!
The organ company dad worked for installed an experimental monophonic transistorized pedal board in a church and only a few buildings away was a taxi office.
The congregation were treated to some ripe old language of a Sunday night!

Yes, ring mains save on Copper and fused plugs are a splendid idea..Sigh, we led the world in SO many ways.......

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous