You are here

Officially switching to Mac! What won't work?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Officially switching to Mac! What won't work?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:51 am

And that gets my vote for the post of the week.

You are both valued here.

Hear hear.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby Urthlupe » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:39 am

Wow Zen...... love that..... you live up to your name m8.....

Loopy xxx
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:20 pm

I have stuck with Macs throughout the bad experiences for a very good reason. I like Macs, I enjoy the workflow, and I especially enjoy the very much reduced threat of malware. I have contemplated going back to PC's but I always resist.

When Apple moved to Intel, I was stationed on a remote Island in the Pacific, and on a week long R&R in Hawaii, I bought one of the latest Macs. There had been much talk of the compiler being superb and how it would run your favourite apps while the software houses updated. Of course it didn't run complex audio software very well at all.

When I responded to the OP, his scenario sounded very familiar to me, and I wanted to draw his attention to the downside of what he was proposing. He did ask the question after all. The main points are firstly, 64 bit software only, suddenly and immediately. This might not be a problem, I merely pointed it out. Secondly the impending arrival of non-Intel processors. Which will have no effect whatsoever on his use of existing software on his existing machine, but it will affect the re-sale value of the machine. If that is not an issue, then no problem. Again I merely point it out.

My choice of words "Nothing will work unless its 64 bit and Catalina Compliant" might sound a bit dramatic but hey we are all in the entertainment business here :) Nevertheless the statement is perfectly factual.

Finally, Bangkok is a vibrant modern extremely well appointed and huge city with probably the newest most comprehensive Apple store on the planet. There is nothing I couldn't get in Apples line of hardware there (it's more expensive due to the import tariffs here but that's by the way) and in addition there are hundreds of Apple Studio stores all over the country. I have been a bit unlucky thats all, it's not due to dodgy shops. I confess to being a bit clueless about the finer points of OSX and the workings of the computers themselves, which hasn't helped. Since I got the lowdown on Uninterruptible Power Supplies from Hugh and others I have had no problems with the local power.

I am retired now, and I have lots of time to get to grips with my stuff. I have 48 tracks of Nyquist RADAR Studios, connected to a Midas Verona 480, and UAD "outboard" which is really in software, and I'm still using the two Beyerdynamic MDC100's connected to the multiplex thingy which I bought on the strength of a Hugh Robjohns review in SOS way back in the dark ages.

Best of luck to the OP, for sure he will enjoy the Mac experience.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Your strategy will depend on how much critical software you have already on the PC and how much of that can be downloaded in OSX from your vendors site. Most if not all will be available.

Next check for compatibility of all your apps and plugins with Catalina
Bear in mind some of your older plugins might not be 64 bit

Run through your list and decide if Catalina will be OK for your apps and plugins. If there will be cases where you will lose favorite apps and or plugins and you really don't want to lose them, then consider a second hand Mac running Mojave for example.

If you are keeping the PC, then you have options. You can run your fav plugins on the PC and export the audio to your Mac. I do that with Steinberg for example, where I use older plugs incompatible with Catalina, and export the processed audio stems to my Mac.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby garrettendi » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Thanks Howdy! There’s only one plugin not available for Mac that I use and a suitable alternative has been found!

STILL haven’t connected the UMC204HD

I’m a lifetime member of Procrastinators Anonymous!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:31 pm

garrettendi wrote:I’m a lifetime member of Procrastinators Anonymous!

I thought about joining them but couldn't really be bothered.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:00 pm

I'm definitely going to join, I'll do it tomorrow.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous