You are here

How high can you jump

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

How high can you jump

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:17 pm

I'm always seeing these pictures of guitarists jumping? And bassists. Here's Sting.

Some of them look impossibly high to me. And honestly, how well can you play anyway, in mid-air?

So the question is, do you ever jump when playing an instrument...? And more importantly, do you have the photos to prove it?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Re: How high can you jump

Postby MOF » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:39 pm

No and no. :lol: The height is accentuated by the lower position of the photographer below the stage.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:22 pm

The lens is about level with the riser so yes fit does exaggerate the hight but I'd guess it's still a fairly impressive 3 feet or so :D

I reckon Townsend got higher though...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:44 pm

I reckon Townsend got higher though...
No it just looked like that because of Townsend windmilling his plectrum arm. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby RichardT » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:18 pm

RichardT
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:42 pm

The kind of venue we tend to play generally involves our drummer ducking to get on stage. Any jumps more than a couple of inches would result in an unpleasant interaction with the ceiling.
Besides which, I can barely sing and play at the same time, don't ask me to move around as well! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby adrian_k » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:55 am

blinddrew wrote:The kind of venue we tend to play generally involves our drummer ducking to get on stage. Any jumps more than a couple of inches would result in an unpleasant interaction with the ceiling.
Besides which, I can barely sing and play at the same time, don't ask me to move around as well! :)

What is this "stage" of which you speak?
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby John Egan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:13 am

I remember when we used to play in Germany, we would go for a month at a time. We would play for a week at a club, then travel to the next one. We played from six in the evening to around 3 a.m., one hour on and 15min off. At weekends, we would play from mid afternoon.
With a schedule like that, you don't jump about much. Ah, the pleasures of youth!
Regards John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:30 am

As with aeroplanes, nothing wrong with the height. The problem is the landing.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:13 pm

You’d jump that high if Daltrey had just hit you where it hurts with his microphone. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:24 pm

I pulled a groin muscle just looking at those great photos
:shocked:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby adrian_k » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:33 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I pulled a groin muscle just looking at those great photos
:shocked:
Show off! :bouncy:
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby CS70 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:22 pm

BJG145 wrote:Some of them look impossibly high to me. And honestly, how well can you play anyway, in mid-air?

It may be surprising, but people train for that! :D And often the energy in certain part of the songs comes from ostinatos, which you can play even upside down once you've started, as you don't need to move anything :D Besidea, when u play the same set 50 times in a row.. the easy parts you can keep playing while you're sleeping!

So the question is, do you ever jump when playing an instrument...? And more importantly, do you have the photos to prove it?

No, I always thought it ridiculous :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby jxnWHITE » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:54 pm

Had to reply to this. My 3 bandmates were all on the track team of a Div I university in the US, including a high jumper. So yes, frequently airborne during performances. You have to pick your spots of course, but the trick is to land on the beat. The key is to bend them knees and kick down to nail it. Singer had a hard time with that, but he didn't play anything so the groove never suffered. There are pix and even some televised shows somewhere, but frankly the late 80s styles in evidence have these permanently banished from public display.

Have you ever seen Nils Lofgren with Grin? Those little guys with trampolines make it look easy.
jxnWHITE

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:35 pm

jxnWHITE wrote:Had to reply to this. My 3 bandmates were all on the track team of a Div I university in the US, including a high jumper. So yes, frequently airborne during performances. You have to pick your spots of course, but the trick is to land on the beat.

Haha, cheers jxn. I think I've left this technique too late in life, but that's a useful pointer if I give it a little go.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Next