You are here

Choosing a genre

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Choosing a genre

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Having now had a (very enjoyable) proper listen, I'd just stick with 'ambient electronica'. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Folderol » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Just had a more serious listen. It really is very captivating, and defies being pigeonholed. I agree that probably the best policy would be to not give it one, and see what potential distributors say.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby RichardT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:11 pm

Chet Leeway wrote:For filing purposes or record shop organization, it clearly belongs in "Electronic music".

Beyond that, it's all about how you want to profile yourself. I'd maybe read through some reviews of Four Tet's music and see if you come across a description you feel comfy with. He's pretty ecletic, but I hear similarities to some of his stuff.

Good thought - I enjoy Four Tet.
RichardT
Regular

Postby RichardT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:11 pm

blinddrew wrote:Having now had a (very enjoyable) proper listen, I'd just stick with 'ambient electronica'. :thumbup:

Thanks Drew
RichardT
Regular

Postby RichardT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:12 pm

Folderol wrote:Just had a more serious listen. It really is very captivating, and defies being pigeonholed. I agree that probably the best policy would be to not give it one, and see what potential distributors say.

Thanks Folderol.
RichardT
Regular

Postby awjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Yeah, had a listen. It falls into a genre I call 'Good'.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Postby RichardT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:41 pm

awjoe wrote:Yeah, had a listen. It falls into a genre I call 'Good'.

Too kind!
RichardT
Regular

Postby The Bunk » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:00 pm

Like it a lot. Personally I'd put that in my own sort of genre of "Stuff I like to listen to watching a sunset on a Greek Island with a cold beer".

Or electronic ambient, as has been suggested above, I suppose.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby RichardT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:21 pm

The Bunk wrote:Like it a lot. Personally I'd put that in my own sort of genre of "Stuff I like to listen to watching a sunset on a Greek Island with a cold beer".

Or electronic ambient, as has been suggested above, I suppose.

Thanks very much!
RichardT
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:49 pm

I still feel that 'electronic ambient' misses out on (for me anyway) the most obvious influence, which from the very first bar screamed jazz chord shapes.

That's what immediately sucked me in to listening more.

I even followed RichardT on SoundCloud as a result, so I could investigate more of his tracks ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Chet Leeway » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:16 am

Martin Walker wrote: the most obvious influence [...] jazz chord shapes

But the central part consists of repetitive non-acoustic drum patterns, synth sounds and processed voice samples, which are very un-jazzy. Actually that part's a bit like Orbital, but less expansive. I interpret the jazzy stuff as intro/outro for the central part, although they're a bit long for that. The conclusion is that the track should be split somewhere around 3:20 in order to fall neatly into genres: part 1 is jazz and part 2 is electronica.
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:58 am

Harold Budd had a few drinks with Weather Report and they all decide to make an album...Brian Eno pops by the studio and joins in, along with a guy from a local underground club who happens to have a modular on his person...

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am

Arpangel wrote:Harold Budd had a few drinks with Weather Report and they all decide to make an album...Brian Eno pops by the studio and joins in, along with a guy from a local underground club who happens to have a modular on his person...

Praise indeed, thanks!
RichardT
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:03 am

RichardT wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Harold Budd had a few drinks with Weather Report and they all decide to make an album...Brian Eno pops by the studio and joins in, along with a guy from a local underground club who happens to have a modular on his person...

Praise indeed, thanks!

Like others have said file under "good"
I don’t think you need encouragement from us, you've already got it, just let us know when/where we can buy your music.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:09 am

Arpangel wrote:
RichardT wrote:

Praise indeed, thanks!

Like others have said file under "good"
I don’t think you need encouragement from us, you've already got it, just let us know when/where we can buy your music.

Hi Arpangel,

It will be mastered in the next couple of weeks and released in mid September on Bandcamp.

R
RichardT
Regular

PreviousNext