You are here

Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Postby DarrenGlen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:28 am

Adam Inglis wrote:I see these people are now making a modern SMPS replacement for the Jupiter 8 PSU..

https://synthronics.de/roland-jupiter-8-new-psu/

As the owner of a "steak grill" original jupe, I'm tempted.
I've always been a bit concerned about putting SMPSs into analogue synths, due to the noise concern, however, I haven't really been keeping up with developments in this area, and they claim this one to be "noise free".
Anyone had any experience in this area?

I am receiving the first one of these off the production line. Cora will be the first to receive this new PSU transplant. There will be several blog posts on it as I progress! It will be interesting stay tuned!!
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby Adam Inglis » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:48 am

Thanks Darren - eagerly awaited!

One other concern I have is the longevity of SMPSs compared to linear PSUs. I have had to replace the SMPS in synths such as a Korg M1R, a Proteus 2, and an Ultraproteus, several times over a decade or more, however the linear supplies in say, the jupe, and a bunch of my analogues from late 70s/early 80s just seem to keep on truckin'. Sure, they get hot and a component (often an electro cap) may fail, but that's just a matter of replacing the component. With SMPS, they're really difficult to fault-find, and you can't test them unloaded, so usually it's a case of replacing the whole unit.
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby MarkOne » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Notice a couple of updates on there...

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... jupiter-8/

Looking at the lacing on the loom brings back (fond?) memories of my time working in the avionics industry on the test bench. You'd often have to snip through the lacing during a repair* and then lace up the loom again afterwards. The QA inspectors were extremely fussy about the lace being evenly spaced with the knots running in a straight line.

I can remember being quite adept at it, but thinking back the process of tying the continuous line of knots has been completely lost to my memory.

*Just to make the thing even more difficult, looms in MoD specified avionics were wired with all the wires in the loom being PTFE wire the exact same shade of pink (go figure - presumably someone in MoD-PE was a fan of pink, or they had inadvertently placed an order for 100000Km of it!)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Great stuff ... I was thinking about this only the other day and wondering if there was an update but had forgotten to check so thank you for the timely reminder :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Folderol » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Hmmm. Interesting knotting, not all done correctly :tongue:
I had to do quite a bit of this in the mid 60s as a trainee - found it very satisfying and quite therapeutic :wave:

I can still do it, but am not keen on the modern plastic stuff - got a WTF from one of the younger guys at my last place of work :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby MarkOne » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:03 pm

Got notified of another update:
https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... -the-plan/

it’s a shame you can’t comment on this blog because the guy is talking about getting a new heatsink laser cut for many $$$, but looking at the Jupiter 8 heatsink, a half competent machinist even without a CNC mill or even a DRO equipped one would have no trouble machining one of those out of solid, and then getting it anodised black would probably be pretty cheap too.

To the OP, if you do check in, take a look around for local engineering shops in your area.

Sometimes the old fashioned engineering route is just as valid. (And cheaper) than wizzy lasers
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Previous