You are here

ISO Videos

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

ISO Videos

Postby JRocker » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:27 am

With all these ISO videos being made, like this superb one from Sammy Hagar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MCJGH-Py8

How are these actually recorded? They sound studio quality! Are they actually recording their individual parts into a DAW and then getting them edited together and mixed? And are they actually playing or miming?
I'm curious to know how this all works as I like to try my hand at making one myself, but I have no idea where to start or how to do it.

Advise and instructions much appreciated.

FYI: I have a PC running Cubase. I also am a guitarist and singer, so have amps, guitars, SM 58 and 57s, and of course for filming I have my Android phone.
JRocker
Regular

Re: ISO Videos

Postby desmond » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:21 am

You point a video camera at you while you are recording your part to your DAW. You then send your video and audio to whoever is compiling the final video. They compile and mix the audio and sync up and edit the video accordingly.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: ISO Videos

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:06 am

I suppose the question you have in mind is - is it real time? The answer is no, it isn't.

It's a standard overdub sequence, which is why the quality is so high. The main difference is that people film with their phones while they perform - but it's no phone audio that gets used in the final edit - the phones are still cool for playing the guide bases. If you use earbuds, it's far less noticeable than headphones - and earbuds can be very isolating, especially custom-made ones. Then as Desmond says, an editor stitches the video together - any NLE worth its name can create a mosaic of video tracks like that.

Was going to make one, but the drummer got shy and took two months to get to send me a bad iphone video.. at that point since there was no more lockdown in Norway we decided to move back to making a traditional video, as I had a more artsy idea for the song. It's just finished and ready to publish when the song is finally distributed (there are lockdowns in most of the world and especially the US so distribution is quite slow these days).

But if you don't have shy drummers it's super easy to make.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page