You are here

Cheeky b.....s!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Cheeky b.....s!

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:22 am

Ooo! Never mind woodland hornets, I seem to have stirred a hive of African killer bees!

So, Edge is good and 'Da future'? Ok, I shall give it a try on the W7 lappy. My problem is I hate change to computer systems, especially those I have little control of and understand even less. BT 'improved' their email system some weeks ago and I am only just getting used to it (why change a double click to single and why, in the reply box hide the Send button and not allow scrolling?) . One good result however is that I seem to have lost Verizon (Oath) ads.

I would not mind if Ms had given me the option but the app was forced upon me, downloaded and installed without my say so. Did not know they could do that (in seven). Scary.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby innerchord » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:19 pm

ef37a wrote:I would not mind if Ms had given me the option but the app was forced upon me, downloaded and installed without my say so. Did not know they could do that (in seven). Scary.
Are you saying that you had Windows Update turned off or the service disabled?
innerchord
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:57 pm

innerchord wrote:
ef37a wrote:I would not mind if Ms had given me the option but the app was forced upon me, downloaded and installed without my say so. Did not know they could do that (in seven). Scary.
Are you saying that you had Windows Update turned off or the service disabled?

No, I made a decision when I got the laptop to leave it pretty much alone and let update go ahead as needed. My three other W7 machines do have updates stopped to 'notification' just in case something interferes with a recording. I intended the W10 laptop to be my main internet device and not used much at all for audio.

Convenience, expediency and lazy b'stdness intervened however and I took to hooking up the KA6 quite often. The internet was left on, even checked emails a time or three whist recording. Never caused so much as a blink.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:56 am

innerchord wrote:Thanks Pete. I hoped you'd be along to type out the long version.

It appears I might getting predictable :D

cyrano.mac wrote:Wot, none of you is running Brave, or Vivaldi, or iCab, or...

Big Vivaldi fan over here.

cyrano.mac wrote:As to SAAS, the payment calculation system we use at the office, needs Internet Explorer, preferably on Win7. The devs think that's OK. It'll be a happy day when I no longer have to work with these guys. A while ago, when I reported a pretty disastrous bug, they told me it was because I was using it too fast. Imagine a system failing because it's user is too fast. :crazy:

This is what I was alluding to this earlier. There are so many legacy applications out there that were written to take advantage of some feature or other that was inherent to ie and how it works within a company security regime. Companies have been warned for years to make the move, hands are finally being forced.

It's still amazing how many older bit of hardware are out there running Winxp or even older. You start poking about at things like cash machines or medical and research equipment that have been in situ for 20 years and it quickly becomes apparent the scale of the problem. Not really an issue if they are all standalone, but as the world get more connected, it just opens up more problems.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Wasn't there something recently (last year?) about the DoD's nuclear weapon system all still running on XP?

At least it was a pretty stable platform I guess. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:57 pm

blinddrew wrote:Wasn't there something recently (last year?) about the DoD's nuclear weapon system all still running on XP?

I am certain I read that military and space applications always run an OS or two behind current?
Who remembers the IT Crowd episode where Moss asks the soldier "what os is running the robot's laptop?" "Vista" came the reply. "We are all going to DIE!!" shouts Moss.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:14 pm

blinddrew wrote:Wasn't there something recently (last year?) about the DoD's nuclear weapon system all still running on XP?

Yes... but at least it was on a system that was completely isolated from the Internet by several hundred feet of water... ;-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:19 pm

Wasn't there something recently (last year?) about the DoD's nuclear weapon system all still running on XP?

If Microsoft was a British company you could understand their insistence on using said software for patriotic/security :lol: reasons but given that Microsoft and Apple are both American I don’t understand why they didn’t move over to Apple years ago. :headbang:
Cue torrent of abuse. ;)
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:35 am

MOF wrote:If Microsoft was a British company you could understand their insistence on using said software for patriotic/security

You'd think an ARM based solution would have been more fitting for a weapons system...
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby CS70 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:46 pm

ef37a wrote:

I am certain I read that military and space applications always run an OS or two behind current?
Who remembers the IT Crowd episode where Moss asks the soldier "what os is running the robot's laptop?" "Vista" came the reply. "We are all going to DIE!!" shouts Moss.

Dave.

Yeah, for the same reason most organizations' software and hardware may start cutting edge when it's first procured but doesn't stay that way for long. Considering that DoD's military procurement cycles are longer than most and equipment can be in operational service for well over 30 years, you will have all kind of stuff used there.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby MOF » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:14 am

Considering that DoD's military procurement cycles are longer than most and equipment can be in operational service for well over 30 years, you will have all kind of stuff used there.
I think the most recent example of this was several Banking institutions, their systems were so antiquated that they had to bring people out of retirement to find out what had gone wrong and to advise on transitioning to more modern software.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Argiletonne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:46 am

I don't see your point. New Edge update is great and far better than past version. It's just a browser. Using it or not using could be as it appears according to all other people posting, the least of their worries. That comment about the firewall and custom settings is one hundred percent true even if this guy insulted me on my birthday of all days.
Argiletonne
Regular

Clayton Brown

Postby CS70 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:15 pm

MOF wrote:
Considering that DoD's military procurement cycles are longer than most and equipment can be in operational service for well over 30 years, you will have all kind of stuff used there.
I think the most recent example of this was several Banking institutions, their systems were so antiquated that they had to bring people out of retirement to find out what had gone wrong and to advise on transitioning to more modern software.

Yeah, it's a fairly common problem, not just to banking, and there's nothing particular with it. For most organizations, systems are tool with a purpose, not toys to have fun with, or stuff to be otherwise "proud" of. First you amortize the cost, then the longest operational life you can get out of it, the better it is.

You change only if you must, and for certain system you must not for many, many years.. enough for the tech to go out of fashion. Some few enlightened organization assess the risks associated with dwindling competence in the marketplace, but all asses the costs associated with replacing working tech. :D

Most decisions are cost/benefit driven and with IT replacing tech without providing any additional (revenue-inducing or cost-reducing) functionality is only a cost.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:47 pm

Watchmaker wrote:MS sucks the fat root.

I loathe the whole Software as as Service crapola fest. A machine should do as it's told until told otherwise and when I spend $$ on a device, spend a shedload of time configuring it, etc. I kinda expect it to stay there.

but nooooooo. Fracking MBA's and an army of selfish coders always gotta know better than me. Asshats :-)

My biggest peeve is when MS totally wipes my firewall settings so all their bloatware can start porting my data back to the NSA and some pointy noised dweeb in Palo Alto. I mean really.

What gets me is, as with the TikTok farrago, the US president and his entourage have us believe that the USA is the arbiter of internet diplomacy yet it is common knowledge that the main players suck up data in the most insidious manner, it is said fArceBook knows more about us than our mothers, and much she wouldn’t care to know as well.

I have worked long and hard to keep my music pc off the internet, and connect as and when I deem it necessary but it is tedious having to make a drive image each time I connect and let the floodgates open. If only I could get Cubase/Halton and a few other apps on Linux I would ditch Windows toot sweet
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:00 am

OneWorld wrote:I have worked long and hard to keep my music pc off the internet, and connect as and when I deem it necessary but it is tedious having to make a drive image each time I connect and let the floodgates open. If only I could get Cubase/Halton and a few other apps on Linux I would ditch Windows toot sweet

I'm sure that if those applications were available for Linux you'd still need a regular internet connection (for the same reasons as you need one now) but there are plenty of alternative music making programs that don't need an internet connection. My studio PC is never connected to the internet and in my past life I was often working away from any internet connection for weeks at a time so I've got into the habit of buying software that doesn't have onerous copy protection and doesn't need an internet connection.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Previous