You are here

True "performance" synthesisers.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: True "performance" synthesisers.

Postby BJG145 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:47 pm

If you're looking at it as part of a modular setup, I guess you've also looked at these...?

https://postmodular.co.uk/modules/buchla-easel-command/
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:53 pm

Folderol wrote:Sorry, that doesn't appeal to me at all.

Nor me.

I've tried to like them, but they don't make any special sounds to my ears, and the controls are just a mess to my eyes. Each to their own, eh?

I've seen a number of professionals 'play' them too, but they all just make a really simple sequencer loop, and then fart about with the filter cutoff and wave-shape controls, while adding excessive amounts of echo delays and reverb.... It ain't music to my ears... although everything sounds great with lots of echo delays and reverb of course!

Personally, I'd much rather have a Moog Subsequent or a big handful of Behringer clones, and spend the rest of the money on something useful.... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:02 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Folderol wrote:Sorry, that doesn't appeal to me at all.

Nor me.

I've tried to like them, but they don't make any special sounds to my ears, and the controls are just a mess to my eyes. Each to their own, eh?

I've seen a number of professionals 'play' them too, but they all just make a really simple sequencer loop, and then fart about with the filter cutoff and wave-shape controls, while adding excessive amounts of echo delays and reverb.... It ain't music to my ears... although everything sounds great with lots of echo delays and reverb of course!

Personally, I'd much rather have a Moog Subsequent or a big handful of Behringer clones, and spend the rest of the money on something useful.... :lol:

You either gel with them or not.
The Easel doesn’t have a filter as such, it has two low-pass gates, without resonance,
Buchla has that rare quality that acoustic instruments have, you can play just a simple line and it’ll be a finished piece, the sound is so rich and expressive, Moog have this quality, that’s about it.
Don’t judge by Youtube demos, we all know those are mostly crap. Exceptions are those by Todd Barton.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:21 pm

Ummm simple line? Well this is a single instrument patch.
Just sat down, switched on and played two handed. Nothing added or taken away. Totally in the box - no prizes for guessing which one.

P.S.
I'm not trying to claim this is the 'one true way' just making the point that there is no such thing, and everyone has their own preference.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Malcolm Smith » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:41 pm

BillB wrote:A lot of us have gear lust, it seems to go with the love of synths. There is always just one more bit of gear
How do you get back down to just one item on the list? :P
Malcolm Smith
New here

Postby BillB » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:51 pm

Malcolm Smith wrote:
BillB wrote:A lot of us have gear lust, it seems to go with the love of synths. There is always just one more bit of gear
How do you get back down to just one item on the list? :P

Easy. It's the next one. :D
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:35 am

Folderol wrote:I'm not trying to claim this is the 'one true way' just making the point that there is no such thing, and everyone has their own preference.

I’m not claiming that either, sure, we have our own preferences.
The Buchla is based around a specific design philosophy, and it is suited to a particular type of music making, but not exclusively, I like all the things about it that a lot of people wouldn’t, illogical layout, which encourages new approaches every time you use it, reverse controls, also inspires experimentation, the lack of a "typical" signal path, and modules, the "five step" sequencer, the spring reverb that acts like a low-pass filter, the "sound" which is very rich, and can be unpredictable. It’s major strength for me is how it responds to feedback, and it is, truly unique in this respect, really beautiful.
The Easel is different from the Easel Command Module, they are built differently and have a slightly different sound, for various reasons.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:23 am

Arpangel wrote:I’ve just spoken to the usually brilliant KMR, looks like I’ll be getting one of these....

https://www.kmraudio.com/buchla-lem-208-includes-case.php

Well that certainly removes a sizable chunk off the price Tony!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:35 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’ve just spoken to the usually brilliant KMR, looks like I’ll be getting one of these....

https://www.kmraudio.com/buchla-lem-208-includes-case.php

Well that certainly removes a sizable chunk off the price Tony!

Martin

Yes, it does, there’s also a keyboard Easel in the offing, but I’m waiting for a price.
Again, people keep talking about things like the Hydra Synth, not my cup of tea, I’d rather have the simplicity "and" limitations of the Easel, rather than have to wade through a sea of menus and options, that suites some people fine, fantastic, but not me, I always tend to gravitate to a certain sound on the Easel anyway, and it’s the way I can change it, and make it morph into something else so easily, that’s the biggest attraction, all of the parameters, are there in front of me, all of the time.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ramthelinefeed » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm not sure what you're after here Tony.

A performance synthesizer is... a synthesizer. You play it, it makes noise, you perform on it. I did hundreds and hundreds of gigs using a 90s rompler and it was, and is, a performance instrument by definition as are pretty much all synthesizers.

I think what most people tend to mean by the term 'performance synthesizer' is a piece of gear that lets you not just play tunes, but lets you manipulate the synthesis parameters in a musical way, in real time, live in the moment as you are playing.
(i.e. you don't have to stop everything and re-patch half a dozen cable first, or to burrow into a menu and increment some settings).

Some synths are good for that, some are hopeless.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby Arpangel » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:53 pm

ramthelinefeed wrote:(i.e. you don't have to stop everything and re-patch half a dozen cable first, or to burrow into a menu and increment some settings).

Some synths are good for that, some are hopeless.

Yes, after many years of playing synthesisers, and having to adhere to budgetary restraints, when I got my first Buchla it was like......

"THIS IS THE REAL DEAL"

I’d advise anyone, if you haven’t actually played one, then do so, before you make any judgements, especially if you’re interests are into exploring the unfamiliar, no matter what type of music you make.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Arpangel wrote:...especially if you’re interests are into exploring the unfamiliar, no matter what type of music you make.

I prefer to stay strictly within rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty. :beamup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Arpangel wrote:Again, people keep talking about things like the Hydra Synth, not my cup of tea, I’d rather have the simplicity "and" limitations of the Easel, rather than have to wade through a sea of menus and options...
It's clear that the Hydrasynth wouldn't suit you, but you've not spent any time with it if this what you believe. It's a very 'immediate' synth, as many of us owners know. No, it's not for everyone, but so far everyone that's seen mine has gone away checking their credit card balance...

I think you'd probably hate the HS, but it would be worth hating it for the right reasons! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:49 pm

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Again, people keep talking about things like the Hydra Synth, not my cup of tea, I’d rather have the simplicity "and" limitations of the Easel, rather than have to wade through a sea of menus and options...
It's clear that the Hydrasynth wouldn't suit you, but you've not spent any time with it if this what you believe. It's a very 'immediate' synth, as many of us owners know. No, it's not for everyone, but so far everyone that's seen mine has gone away checking their credit card balance...

I think you'd probably hate the HS, but it would be worth hating it for the right reasons! :lol:

Agreed. A friend of mine bought one on my recommendation and I underwrote the purchase, promising to buy it from him at the price he paid for it if he spent a week with it and didn't like it.

Within a few hours of unboxing it he called me up and told me I wouldn't be buying it from him. I was both delighted and a bit disappointed :lol:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Arpangel » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:48 am

The Elf wrote:I think you'd probably hate the HS, but it would be worth hating it for the right reasons! :lol:

Elf! Again, I didn’t say I hated anything, I’m sure the HS is great for some people, and when I heard it I said on this forum how interesting it seemed, but it’s not for me, I like to work in a different way, simple as that.
I can’t imagine having the immediacy and real time patching on something like the HS, it’s like comparing apples with oranges, pointless.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext