You are here

Free SOS

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Free SOS

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:22 pm

:thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Now that's what I call service! :clap: :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby OneWorld » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:35 pm

boingy wrote:The freebie online viewer they are using is dreadful. It's slow and it resets the zoom level each time you turn the page. I gave up.

Well, you can always ask for your money back?

Only joshing. I felt the same about it. I was using Firefox, then I tried Opera, not any better, but then I viewed it using Edge, and whilst you lose the Zoom settings when you turn the page, that's no big deal, the whole thing was much faster and when I viewed the zoomed pages in Firefox the fonts were awful, using Edge the text is pin sharp and you can scroll about the page with ease. It just takes a little getting used to.

To SOS - thanks a bunch, great job
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:48 pm

blinddrew wrote:Poo! That would be my fault then.
Oops. :oops:

I shall go renew immediately.
(the shame)

[EDIT] And thank you Ian!

Actually on the subject of subscription renewals, I only discovered when I went to download the new issue that mine had lapsed. I've looked back through my emails and I didn't get any reminders that it was about to run out, so has there maybe been a problem with the reminders?
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:Actually on the subject of subscription renewals, I only discovered when I went to download the new issue that mine had lapsed. I've looked back through my emails and I didn't get any reminders that it was about to run out, so has there maybe been a problem with the reminders?

You should receive them, as we send one 3 months before, 2 months before and 1 month before expiry issue -- UNLESS you have unchecked the box in your Mailing List tab preferences so that you have no contact at all from SOS (the scourge of GDPR compliance)?
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,561 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:06 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Mine came on Wednesday too, in the Midlands.

Mine too came on Wednesday, way down in Cornwall.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:12 pm

OneWorld wrote:
boingy wrote:The freebie online viewer they are using is dreadful. It's slow and it resets the zoom level each time you turn the page. I gave up.

...when I viewed the zoomed pages in Firefox the fonts were awful, using Edge the text is pin sharp and you can scroll about the page with ease. It just takes a little getting used to.

Because the magazine has so many images with detail the files are pretty big compared to other digital replica magazines with fewer pages. The impact of this is that when zoomed in at high settings, there is a delay while the page progressively renders the text/screen font. It also depends on whether you just jumped from page 3, say, to page 160. Pages that you've visited already get cached, so load quicker if you go back to them...

Certainly zoomed-font is fine on my (Mac) Firefox, Chrome and Safari browsers. A screenshot of the offending zoome-in page's text would be handy if you encounter it again. But do wait for it to render.
Forum Admin

Postby desmond » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:13 pm

Forum Admin wrote:You should receive them, as we send one 3 months before, 2 months before and 1 month before expiry issue -- UNLESS you have unchecked the box in your Mailing List tab preferences so that you have no contact at all from SOS (the scourge of GDPR compliance)?

Which specific checkbox affects this? I didn't get any subs reminders either...

I have
Allow Contact (checked)

and the rest unchecked:
- SOS News
- New Issue Alert
- Competitions
- Special Offers
- Product News

I'm not sure from those newsletter names where subscription reminders would be? None of them seem to suggest a likely candidate...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi desmond - it's the Allow Contact checkbox that determines the legality of us continuing to send email reminders for subscriptions about to lapse.

The others are e-newsletter mailshot preferences.

I'll file a Bug to get this functionality double-checked next week.
Forum Admin

Postby BJG145 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:43 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Should paper subscriptions have arrived by now?

Just checked your account, and your subscription lapsed after the August 2020 issue

WTF blinddrew. You thought they would still keep mailing you free paper copies? No!
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:50 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
OneWorld wrote:

...when I viewed the zoomed pages in Firefox the fonts were awful, using Edge the text is pin sharp and you can scroll about the page with ease. It just takes a little getting used to.

Because the magazine has so many images with detail the files are pretty big compared to other digital replica magazines with fewer pages. The impact of this is that when zoomed in at high settings, there is a delay while the page progressively renders the text/screen font. It also depends on whether you just jumped from page 3, say, to page 160. Pages that you've visited already get cached, so load quicker if you go back to them...

Certainly zoomed-font is fine on my (Mac) Firefox, Chrome and Safari browsers. A screenshot of the offending zoome-in page's text would be handy if you encounter it again. But do wait for it to render.

I sort of guessed that and that Edge just rendered the pages all that quicker. Whichever the case after some initial doubts I ended up finding it quite acceptable.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:41 pm

BJG145 wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Should paper subscriptions have arrived by now?

Just checked your account, and your subscription lapsed after the August 2020 issue

WTF blinddrew. You thought they would still keep mailing you free paper copies? No!
I have accordingly checked my privilege! ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Rich Hanson » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:48 am

Forum Admin wrote:
Rich Hanson wrote:Actually on the subject of subscription renewals, I only discovered when I went to download the new issue that mine had lapsed. I've looked back through my emails and I didn't get any reminders that it was about to run out, so has there maybe been a problem with the reminders?

You should receive them, as we send one 3 months before, 2 months before and 1 month before expiry issue -- UNLESS you have unchecked the box in your Mailing List tab preferences so that you have no contact at all from SOS (the scourge of GDPR compliance)?

Interesting, that check box has indeed become unchecked but lord knows how, I didn’t even know it was there! Besides, SOS are one of the few I actually like getting emails from so I wouldn’t have unchecked it anyway. Glitch in the system or someone running the database made a cock-up?

Hey ho, box ticked again, no worries
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:22 pm

As a result of feedback here, we're sprucing up My Account as I type and we'll launch the new version in a week or so.

It'll just make things easier to see and understand their significance. Too many users don't ever visit their My Account (link at top of every SOS web page) so hopefully more folks will in future.
Forum Admin

Previous