You are here

Modifying Sound Interface Headphone Output

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Modifying Sound Interface Headphone Output

Postby Isaac Darlong » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 pm

Hello guys,

First of all I would like to note that my USB ports are broken on my PC which is why I can't use my sound interface to record it.

However, what I want to achieve is to record my instrument connected to my sound interface connected into the headphone output into the mic input on PC. At the same time I want my sound output from PC connected to the headphone output of my sound interface so that I could hear the sound on my headphone for live monitoring. And on recording my instrument on PC, I want only the sound of my instrument to be recorded not along with the output sound from my PC.

I am trying for the solution as depicted in the picture diagram, however, I am not sure if this would work. Any help would be great.

Picture diagram link
Isaac Darlong

Re: Modifying Sound Interface Headphone Output

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Isaac Darlong wrote:I am not sure if this would work.

No, it won't! And for several reasons.

You can't drive headphones from two output devices at the same time.

You could just plug your headphones into the computer, and monitor as you record that way, but they'll be a lot of latency.

And the sound quality from taking the interface headphone output into the computer mic input is inevitably going to be quite poor.

And that's assuming the interface will work appropriately in a standalone mode anyway.

The obvious answer is to get the USB ports fixed or get a new computer that works properly, I'm afraid.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Trevor Johnson » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:21 pm

my USB ports are broken on my PC

Are they physically broken or simply do not work?
Are they the USB ports on the motherboard backplate or from the motherboard to the USB sockets on the front or top of your PC case?

Even if all these don't work, you can still add either a PCI or PCIE card to your motherboard and having working USB ports that way.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Isaac Darlong » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:07 pm

I reckoned that my USB chips has a critical problem which can't be fixed. On top of that I don't have any budget to spend for a replacement.

Thanks for your all inputs it helps me a lot to understand. So, now I have decided to monitor my sound directly from my pc sound card, setting aside my sound interface until I could afford another pc or laptop.

On the bright side, I am able to get 2ms latency with 48000khz while using with an intensive plugins and that too without clicks or pops. I am pretty happy with that. On the contrary, while my USB was working, monitoring with plugins the best latency I could get was about 4-6 ms with 44khz. So, I have concluded my pc sound card is pretty amazing and it looks to me that can live with it.

Thanks again.
Cheers! :D :D :D
Isaac Darlong

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:38 pm

Have you tried updating your USB drivers? That may be a free fix.
Trevor Johnson
Regular