You are here

Is it normal for mixing engineers to ask for royalty points?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Is it normal for mixing engineers to ask for royalty points?

Postby mrmoon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:03 pm

It's my first time working with a "high-end" audio engineer to mix one of my tracks and they are asking for 2% royalty points and to sign a "deal memo" ahead of a full contract to be drafted by "my attorney". Does this sound normal/typical?

I'm really keen to work with this guy since he has done popular albums I really love but don't want to get cheated right out of the gate. At the same time I think he should get a fair rate, and hey if he's part of the success of the song that it makes enough money to earn something on the royalties then he deserves it! The problem is just now I have the added cost of also hiring an attorney to draft this contract and make sure I keep my rights to the masters and that I agree to and stick to the terms of our royalty payments, all much more complicated then simply paying a fee and getting the mix back.
mrmoon

Re: Is it normal for mixing engineers to ask for royalty points?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:21 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm not going to give an opinion on this as it's outside of my area of expertise but I think you were wise to ask for some input.

We have a number of people on the forum here who know about these things, so I'm sure you'll get some useful input in due course.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:47 pm

No - unless you happen to be Dr.Dre.

EDIT - I reread your post and this is a definite case of 'body-swerve!'

I've been in this game a long time and the guy behind the desk is either a real mover and shaker (e.g. Dr.Dre - who is a mega-successful producer) or you pay a regular day-rate.

If you are against the wall, PM me and I'll get you away from the wall. But this screams 'SCAM' at volume-setting 11.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SVR » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:42 pm

If all he is doing is mixing the song--not composing, not arranging, not selecting instruments or sounds--just mixing the song, then no, Mixers get a flat rate, a one time fee.

If this person is doing arrangements, acting as producer, playing an instrument, writing lyrics, singing etc, then additional compensation may be on order and in the form of additional fees or back end royalties.
SVR

Postby BJG145 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:03 pm

mrmoon wrote:The problem is just now I have the added cost of also hiring an attorney to draft this contract.

Wait, what?

No idea, this sounds well above my pay grade.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:06 pm

Is this in lieu of a mix fee, or in *addition* to a mix fee?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:16 pm

mrmoon wrote:It's my first time working with a "high-end" audio engineer to mix one of my tracks and they are asking for 2% royalty points and to sign a "deal memo" ahead of a full contract to be drafted by "my attorney". Does this sound normal/typical?

From what I've heard, It happens but only with super-top names, and they do get a fraction of points. So basically the guy needs to be in the same caliber a CLA or Scheps or the likes... someone whose name is so big in the right circles, that it can be used by the label to increase the marketing of the track to radio, tv or other "gateway" outlets.

If you're working on your own, without a label and their network of contacts, it's probably not worth much to get a big mixing name (other for the quality of the mix, but even then there's plenty of great mixers around). On the other side, if he accepts to work for fraction of points instead of a fee, he must think he has a fair chance of recouping the money for his work, but then it means that you shouldn't be alone... so it's a bit of a strange thing.

What exactly are u planning of doing with the recording (in terms of business plan)?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:50 pm

What a shame the Original Poster hasn't returned to fill in more details on his/her situation - this is a fascinating thread that would really benefit from a resolution.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:37 am

...also asked and answered on GS; they went ahead. (Hadn't realised it was an old thread; must remember to check with people so keen on necroposting round here.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:35 pm

BJG145 wrote:...also asked and answered on GS; they went ahead. (Hadn't realised it was an old thread; must remember to check with people so keen on necroposting round here.)

Thanks for that clarification BJG145, and for the link. Here's what mrmoon said on GS:

"thanks for the feedback guys! agreed, since its unsigned, 2% of revenue will likely be negligible anyhow -- decided to proceed with caution. I've asked a few other good quality mixers for quotes since and a few mentioned royalty points as well -- fyi for anyone else reading this."

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:59 pm

Yeah it sounds kinda odd.. 2% of zero is zero..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 pm

CS70 wrote:Yeah it sounds kinda odd.. 2% of zero is zero..
Have you been looking at my PRS statements again?
:D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:59 pm

‘Necroposting’?
Love it - The stuff I learn here!
I suppose decomposing doesn’t mean what it used to in todays music culture.
:round1:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)