You are here

Budget USB conference mic...?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Budget USB conference mic...?

Postby BJG145 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:43 am

I'm trying to find a low-cost way for the University department where I work to set up videoconferencing to allow remote students to tune into live classes when they return to campus later this month. They have a Yeti mic which they've used for videoconferencing in the past which seems quite decent, and I was wondering if there were any recommendations for something similar to that but a bit cheaper.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Re: Budget USB conference mic...?

Postby The Korff » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:11 am

Getting hold of nine of the leading models of USB microphone in the middle of a pandemic was hard enough, but keeping them around the house for the three months it took to plan and write this article was a real nuisance (I have a very small house and was literally tripping up over the boxes for weeks).

Unboxing them, photographing them, and researching their specs, features and prices so I could put them into a neat little comparison table, then writing about each one individually (on top of the 2000 word preface about USB mics in general) took bloody ages.

By then I'd had just about enough of USB microphones, but in the spirit of SOS, I thought it might be useful to have some audio examples. So I unboxed each one in turn (again), plugged it in, recorded a bit of spoken word, then boxed them back up and shipped them back whence they came. Then I checked each recording, normalised all the files, named them so our webmaster knew which ones to embed where, and now here we are: a comprehensive article about USB microphones, with pictures, specs, pricing and audio files for nine of the top models to compare.

And yet somehow this is the second time I've posted this link in as many days, for people who apparently didn't know this article existed. Sigh...

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ch ... microphone

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Budget USB conference mic...?

Postby BJG145 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:30 pm

...lol, thanks for that...your efforts are mostly appreciated, honest... ;)
BJG145
Jedi Poster