You are here

Arturia PolyBrute SOS Review - it lives!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Arturia PolyBrute SOS Review - it lives!

Postby zenguitar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:13 pm

And who got Eddy in the sweepstake for the 1st to crack and make a purchase?

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby desmond » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:16 pm

zenguitar wrote:And who got Eddy in the sweepstake for the 1st to crack and make a purchase?

All of us.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:08 pm

desmond wrote:
zenguitar wrote:And who got Eddy in the sweepstake for the 1st to crack and make a purchase?

All of us.

:lol:

I thought I'd been so good for so long too. I've not bought a synth for months!

OneWorld wrote:It does look a nice bit of kit. I am on the brink of buying an 'analogue' synth and I have always been delighted with any Arturia products. There are used MatrixBrutes going on eBay for as little as £1100 these days, but I do like the look of this new product

The MatrixBrute is a bit of a beast and there is a lot of overlap between it and the PolyBrute. I would have loved to see 3 oscillators per voice like the MatrixBrute has but that is something of an ask for a polysynth and would undoubtedly have increased the price significantly.

These days, given that polysynths invariably have a mono/unison mode, most of which also provide the requisite legato priority/retriggering settings, the distinction between mono and poly isn't much as I see it so on balance I'd plump for the poly if I had to make a choice.

One thing that will be a joy to use is the modulation matrix; it's a very well thought out system which is a doddle to use, to the point it would be quite feasible to incorporate modulation assignments into a live performance with a little practice if one wanted to. The ribbon is a real bonus and I even rather like the look of the 3D controller, especially after seeing it demo'd in the video.

I'm very excited about the PolyBrute and can't wait to get my hands on one. They don't start shipping until the end of November but I've done my bit, so now I've just got to wait impatiently for it to turn up!

Edit: If I'm reading the Arturia website correctly there is also an unusual optional extra you can order for it, in the form of four wooden legs (previously an option only for the KeyLab 88 MkII). I didn't go there but it might suit some folks who prefer a free-standing format to using a conventional stand.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:34 pm

OneWorld wrote:It does look a nice bit of kit. I am on the brink of buying an 'analogue' synth and I have always been delighted with any Arturia products. There are used MatrixBrutes going on eBay for as little as £1100 these days, but I do like the look of this new product

My Matriarch is going to take a lot of beating, the PB looks like it should be great, but am I that tempted? not sure, it’s interesting listening to these complex poly synths one after the other in quick succession, Summit, Hydra Synth, even the Deep Mind 12, they all seem to cover the same ground and one doesn’t stand out above the other, at least judging by the presets alone.
The DM12 is still a very good synth, and holds it’s own, it has a very good "basic" sound.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Arpangel wrote:Summit, Hydra Synth, even the Deep Mind 12, they all seem to cover the same ground
They really don't - at least no more than your Matriarch covers the same ground as a MiniBrute, or a Behringer Neutron.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:25 pm

Arpangel wrote:the PB looks like it should be great, but am I that tempted? not sure

Just a reminder - a week or so ago you were thinking of selling all your gear because you had way too much and it was apparently not conducive to making music.

So should you *really* be thinking about buying more/new stuff..? :headbang:

(That public service announcement was brought to you by the AntiGAS Society... :mrgreen: )
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 pm

desmond wrote:(That public service announcement was brought to you by the AntiGAS Society... :mrgreen: )
:lol: :lol:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 pm

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Summit, Hydra Synth, even the Deep Mind 12, they all seem to cover the same ground
They really don't - at least no more than your Matriarch covers the same ground as a MiniBrute, or a Behringer Neutron.

I meant they all sound digital, with lots of boring cheesy evolving stuff, unlike my Matriarch, which also doesn’t make my brain go into meltdown when I look at the controls, it just makes you think you may have taken a bit too much acid, good old Moog.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 pm

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:

I meant they all sound digital, with lots of boring cheesy evolving stuff, unlike my Matriarch, which also doesn’t make my brain go into meltdown when I look at the controls.

:)
They sound as you program them. If you do evolving they evolve - if not they don't. Beware of tarring a synth with the brush of the preset programmers! As to sounding 'digital' - I am prepared to place money on you not recognising them as such in my music! In fact you may recall a few people mistaking my Peak for a guitar synth in our one-synth challenge.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:

I meant they all sound digital, with lots of boring cheesy evolving stuff, unlike my Matriarch, which also doesn’t make my brain go into meltdown when I look at the controls, it just makes you think you may have taken a bit too much acid, good old Moog.

I can't speak for the Deepmind but although the Summit and Hydrasynth can sound incredibly digital if you want/program them to be, by the same token they can sound incredibly analogue and organic as well. I've had 'analogue'-type sounds out of both that would give the Prophet 6 or OB-6 a run for their money and then some.

In short, with these boards you can throw notions of 'it sounds digital/analogue/wavetable/FM' out of the window because it's a brave new world and those labels simply don't work any more when applied to the instrument, only to individual patches and even at that level you'll find a bunch that defy categorisation :wave:

I have a patch on the Hydrasynth that you press a single key, release it and it then generates an *endless* evolving analogue-sounding soundscape of random-but-sensible rhythm and pitch via multiple levels and feedback loops of cross-modulation that drips into the ears like warm honey and won't repeat in any recognisable way forever. I left it running for 6 or so hours in the background once just to hear where it went ... it's a complete ambient soundtrack that never stops and never repeats. I reckon Don Buchla would have loved it.

And that's just from pressing and releasing a single key before stepping away and doing nothing else. If you want, you can guide, influence and shape it using the control surface, ribbon controller and/or pressing other keys.

The same synth also does rich strings, brassy leads, soft OB resonant sweepy pads, FM tines and bells, thundering punchy basses, delicate tinkly shimmers, harsh wavetable rhythmic pads and much more a'plenty.

There's a world of potential in the matrix-based modulation on the PolyBrute and I'm very much anticipating pushing the envelopes (pun intended) to see where that takes me.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 am

The main selling point on the PB for me is that matrix board, but complex things are.....er....complex, and it’s way too complex for me, also, looking at it in the cold light of day, the architecture of osc > filter > envelopes it’s a well known thing and it works, but it sort of takes the edge of of the PB for me as new synth, it’s OK, but there is so much competition in the same area, and the differences aren’t that great, let’s be honest. In a blind test I’m sure a lot of people would be stumped. And are the differences so big that it makes only one choice viable?
I think we all know that synthesisers reached a peak ages ago, and it’s just slightly different flavours now, which is cool, but I don’t think I’ll be buying one of these.
My Matriarch does one thing extremely well, it sounds like a Moog, it’s warm cozy and comforting, anything else really does sound digital, no matter how you program it, I never thought I would sway this way and reject digital so much, but I’ve been using "mainly" analogue synths and tape for awhile now, and I really notice it when I go back to digits.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Arpangel wrote:My Matriarch does one thing extremely well, it sounds like a Moog, it’s warm cozy and comforting, anything else really does sound digital, no matter how you program it

I think you might be actually saying "nothing else sounds like a Matriarch, no matter how you program it", as there are plenty of things that don't sound digital out there and some of them are, in fact, digital :lol:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby Berylito » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:51 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:there are plenty of things that don't sound digital out there and some of them are, in fact, digital

I love that quote. But what makes me LOL is when people send MP3s to each other or use YouTube videos to prove how analog this bit of gear is compared to how digital that one is. Digital vs analog belongs in the last century.

Bx
Berylito

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:51 pm

:thumbup: Quite so!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:10 am

Berylito wrote:Digital vs analog belongs in the last century.

Blimey! Next you'll be saying we shouldn't have the whole "Mac vs PC" argument again ......

Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

PreviousNext