You are here

Pedal of the week.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:05 am

Received an email this morning about this thing...

https://www.strymon.net/products/nightsky/

Haven't had a chance to listen to any of the demos yet but if its anything like their other offerings then it's getting my vote.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:24 am

Luke W wrote:Received an email this morning about this thing...

Haven't had a chance to listen to any of the demos yet but if its anything like their other offerings then it's getting my vote.

Damn you! Now that "does" look interesting, it also has the word "random" written on the front, and the word "reverb" I say damn you again sir! temptation beyond and beyond....

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:42 am

Does look rather cool. Although I've already got a trio of Strymons all racked up and waiting for me to get my act together and finish the pedalboard end of my build, so I'm probably covered for all of the strange noises I need/want to make for a good while. I did a little test run a while back and had all 3 responding together to MIDI CC from a single expression pedal, I cant wait to get it up and running properly.
Luke W
Regular

Postby thefruitfarmer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:58 pm

I suppose these modern big guitar pedals are like the rack effects of old, with the presets and complex sounds built in.

System 500 has passed me by but these pedals, retailing at £300+ are not what I think of as a guitar pedal, I think Boss type pedals with one trick per pedal, on or off. Keep it as simple as possible for live.

Still, there don't seem to be that many rack effects being sold new now, but quite a few of the big guitar pedals can work at line level also....

Rebuilding my home studio soon so will be time to sell a load of kit I don't use and probably get a few new items.......so, rather than using rack effects I could use probably justify a Strymon, Eventide etc pedal to replace clapped out rack effects and bring some modern sounds along......
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:08 pm

Luke W wrote:I did a little test run a while back and had all 3 responding together to MIDI CC from a single expression pedal, I cant wait to get it up and running properly.
Luke - is this a feature of the Strymons? If not I’m trying to get midi CC to other pedals and I’d be curious how you multed your pedal.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:15 pm

Luke W wrote:Does look rather cool. Although I've already got a trio of Strymons all racked up and waiting for me to get my act together and finish the pedalboard end of my build, so I'm probably covered for all of the strange noises I need/want to make for a good while. I did a little test run a while back and had all 3 responding together to MIDI CC from a single expression pedal, I cant wait to get it up and running properly.

Yes, I’ve got my eye ion an Eventide Eclipse, it’s weighing up the cost of these high end pedals, the Eventide is a nice box, it always delivers, beautiful, but I do like the idea of simple Boss type pedals, that only do one thing.
Out of all the exotic pedals I’ve looked at lately, the EHX Memory Toy is the most fascinating, just because the tone is just so so good.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:23 pm

The way I look at things like the bigger Strymons, is how many other pedals they take the place of. Depending on what you want then the price can start to seem a lot more friendly. As an example, my Timeline does everything I'd ever want to do with a delay pedal and since I'd never use more than one type of delay at once it stops me wanting or needing (as if...) multiple pedals.

It works for me, but I do totally get the attraction of a simple "this one does this one thing, and does it well" type setup.

ManFromGlass wrote:Luke - is this a feature of the Strymons? If not I’m trying to get midi CC to other pedals and I’d be curious how you multed your pedal.

I've got a Source Audio Reflex expression pedal, which has a couple of expression outputs as well as a few channels of data over MIDI. Each Strymon is set to its own MIDI channel, and the Reflex is set to fire out CC messages on those channels. It's been a while since I used it and even longer since I set it up, but I seem to recall that the only way to get them all responding at once in any useful way was to control over MIDI, or split the expression data before it gets to them.

But as I say, it's been a while since I've done anything with it so I'd need to have a proper look again to be sure.
Luke W
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks - I’ll do the research. I asked because expression pedals are almost half or a third the price of a good pedal, and that’s taking money away from buying a pedal!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:39 pm

Arpangel wrote:

Damn you! Now that "does" look interesting, it also has the word "random" written on the front, and the word "reverb" I say damn you again sir! temptation beyond and beyond....

The blurb mentions "Time-Warped Reverberator" so it will be perfect for your covering of 'Rocky Horror' tunes. :bouncy:
(I agree with your take on it; 6th form end of term shenanigans)
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:56 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Thanks - I’ll do the research. I asked because expression pedals are almost half or a third the price of a good pedal, and that’s taking money away from buying a pedal!

No probs. It's a distant memory at the moment so that wasn't the most comprehensive answer sorry! I was quite lucky and found the Reflex second hand at just the right time.
Luke W
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:15 am

Agharta wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

The blurb mentions "Time-Warped Reverberator" so it will be perfect for your covering of 'Rocky Horror' tunes. :bouncy:
(I agree with your take on it; 6th form end of term shenanigans)

Are we talking about the reverberator, or the RHS? :)
Pedals are now struggling to milk the weird and wonderful, except, it isn’t most of the time.
A fancy psychedelic paint job, and what’s basically a reverb and delay chip given a few weird presets, and the price shoots up to £400.
I’ve cut down my pedal collection after I got all of those "paint jobs" out of my system.
Now all I have left is are the Zoom CDR70, Boss DD7, Fairfield Shallow Water, OBN Minim, Strymon Big Sky, and an EHX 16 sec delay.
The only thing I’m after now, just for its heavenly tone is an EHX Memory Toy, I’ve tried the Eventide Space, it lasted two weeks, just didn’t have any mojo AFAIC, not like my Big Sly, that pedal really is something special, it actually "takes you somewhere" it lifts your music, it’s difficult to describe, but it has mojo up the yin-yang, I can’t imagine any rack unit coming close either.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:47 pm

I was considering the Big Sky ($$$!) but I’ve recently discovered RedPanda has released a new version of their mono reverb pedal Context.
Called Context 2 it does stereo in and out now. It’s not as expensive so I will be doing the research on it. I want something to plug in at the end of my pedal chain. I have a Lexicon MPX-1 which sounds awesome but I would need a mixer with more sends to integrate it.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:37 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I was considering the Big Sky ($$$!) but I’ve recently discovered RedPanda has released a new version of their mono reverb pedal Context.
Called Context 2 it does stereo in and out now. It’s not as expensive so I will be doing the research on it. I want something to plug in at the end of my pedal chain. I have a Lexicon MPX-1 which sounds awesome but I would need a mixer with more sends to integrate it.

Honestly, I’ve been through loads, but the Big Sky really is special, it has that instant magic that just makes you fall in love.
It’s one of those rare things, and you know how cynical I can be, that can actually inspire you to make a track, kick things off. it’s not expensive, considering the quality of what you get.
The only other verb that comes close for me is Specula Tempus, but even that is a bit of a different thing.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:49 pm

The Big Sky really is an awesome bit of kit, the Cloud and Chorale algorithms are particularly cool. As with the other larger Strymons, MIDI control over every parameter is what does it for me though. Not a big deal for a lot of people I'm sure, but for my setup it's made a lot of very silly noises possible.
Luke W
Regular

Postby garrettendi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:59 pm

The Strymons look great and what I’ve heard said about them is bordering on the miraculous, but I’ve never spent more than £100 on a pedal (to my memory) :shocked:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

PreviousNext