You are here

MIDI Designer Pro

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

MIDI Designer Pro

Postby The Elf » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:12 pm

I'm creating this thread to open a discussion on MIDI Designer Pro.

I should point out that I have no affiliation with this software beyond being a happy customer! When I've hit trouble I've found the writer responsive, and my feedback has been acted upon in the form of bug fixes and enhancements, which is reassuring.

If there's one thing I'd improve it would be to rid it of its two-panel design. I've raised this with the writer, but it seems it's locked in, and some users insist they find it useful. Personally I find it very unhelpful and end up fighting it far more than exploiting it.

As a quick example of the sort of thing I find it useful for, in this video you will see a MIDI designer panel I created to emulate the Mackie Control Universal protocol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DAYXT_FiD8&t=6s

I have created 'Layouts' for a number of devices, including Yamaha reface CP/YC/CS, Roland MKS-70/MKS-80 and a controller for my live rig based on Cantabile.

I'd be interested to hear of other's experience with MDP, but I suspect I'm in a very small minority of active users!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: MIDI Designer Pro

Postby BillB » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks, Elf. The thing you said that grabbed my attention was “MD will not only reflect incoming MIDI and update the on-screen controls in real time, but it is also possible (with the use of a little plug-in called 'StreamByter') to parse entire sys-ex dumps and update the on-screen controls to reflect the current patch.”.

That puts it well above most other MIDI controller-generating hardware, software, or apps like TB MIDI Stuff, so maybe worth getting to know / fighting with!

Another question. Can knobs be assigned to receive a given message (say a MIDI CC) but output say Sysexfor other combinations? My Ensoniq SQ80 needs a funny combo of NRPN and CC to replicate its front panel controls and edit parameters. I note that there is an MD editor for the SQ80, so this might provide a bit of multi-knob control if it could do this.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Elf, I found your thread on the CTRLR website about cubase not playing nice with it and that you had moved to Midi designer. I have made a couple of CTRLr panels for my guitar sim floor boards and ran into similar problems as you.

I looked at the Midi designer website and it looked like it was for apple. Is there a version that runs for Windows, and is it much faf to run it in Windows?

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:04 pm

MIDI Designer is iPad (and iPhone), not Mac, or Windows.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.