You are here

Microphones for Ipad

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Microphones for Ipad

Postby Scouser » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:27 pm

Can anyone suggest some decent quality mics that would connect direct to Ipad ( Lightning ) It will be used for narration for videos. Initially I was thinking a lav mic, as I could use this sat on the sofa and not be confined to a desk, having said that I’m not crazy bout that lav sound, or at least the ones I’ve tried.

I liked the sound of the AKG Lyra and some of the other mics that were mentioned in the June edition of SOS “choosing a usb mic” Unfortunately it is a desktop.

Is it possible to use an adapter which would allow usb mics to be used with iOS devices ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Re: Microphones for Ipad

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:45 pm

The 'camera kit' can make most USB devices work with an iPad (as long as the power requirement is not too much for the iDevice to supply).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:02 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:...(as long as the power requirement is not too much for the iDevice to supply).

A powered usb hub extends the possibilities further and can often be run from a suitably sized 5v power bank for portable use. I've run a Focusrite Scarlett, an SSL2+ and an Audient ID4 into my iPad for testing purposes.

If that's not too much clutter then pretty much any XLR mic can be used.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:15 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:...(as long as the power requirement is not too much for the iDevice to supply).

A powered usb hub extends the possibilities further and can often be run from a suitably sized 5v power bank for portable use. I've run a Focusrite Scarlett, an SSL2+ and an Audient ID4 into my iPad for testing purposes.

If that's not too much clutter then pretty much any XLR mic can be used.

My Akai EWI USB would not work with me iPads, even with a separate power supply to the power lines on the USB connectors.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:39 am

I'm not a digi-bod in any way but I wonder if the audio i/o system, which at least exists in some form on all devices, is better accommodated than midi. I may try a midi keyboard in the same system and see if it registers.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Get a Focusrite Scarlet, some are iOS compatible, that opens up a lot of possibilities, you just need to make sure you can use phantom power.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:21 pm

The Cirtonics CCU3 USB LDC is really very good. I have experience of two samples now. Very low noise and decent sound quality. My son uses one on classical guitar and for Skype.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster