You are here

Modular update.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Modular update.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:58 am

I’ve finally finished my design, in my attempt to keep it small, and under control.
Only 84HP and 3U, it’s a random music generator, based around Maths, a Noise Swash, and a Jupiter Storm.
The Arturia Rack Brute hasn’t worked out, it’s too awkward for my space, so I’m replacing it with a Doepfer LC3 as I can stack things on top.
It’s very tempting in these small systems to pack in lots of small modules, for me this isn’t good, I’d rather have less, bigger modules, they are easier to manipulate, and their functions are obvious.
The Maths was a gamble, but its just about within my tolerance level, of multi-function modules, I was thinking of getting a Disting, but that’s just a step too far.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Modular update.

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:30 pm

I can recommend the Make Noise skiff, I have two of them (powered and unpowered). Probably a wise choice re: the Disting. It's a fantastic utility module, but it's also the gateway drug to buying one of everything!

I added the Eudemonia to my modular over the weekend and started working on a new patch for a piece I'm calling If You Listed Everything You Have Eaten During The Past Month You Would Probably Find A Lot of Chicken. :)

My patch as it stands now:
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:I can recommend the Make Noise skiff, I have two of them (powered and unpowered). Probably a wise choice re: the Disting. It's a fantastic utility module, but it's also the gateway drug to buying one of everything!

I added the Eudemonia to my modular over the weekend and started working on a new patch for a piece I'm calling If You Listed Everything You Have Eaten During The Past Month You Would Probably Find A Lot of Chicken. :)

My patch as it stands now:

Ha! yes, that looks like my place about three years ago.
I’m not young, I’m not into basket loads of options, I’m impatient, I just want results.
I know what I want, I’m not experimenting, I have clear goals.
I’m now armed with a bit of modular experience, and I know what suits me, and what doesn’t.
I thrive on limitations, love it, I know that my little system will get used a lot, unlike my first one, in fact, once I’ve found a really good patch, I’ll probably leave it and just vary it occasionally, twist a few knobs.
I’m not even going to fill my case right away, I’ve goth three main modules, and I’m going to fiddle around with those for awhile, and see what happens, I may ad more, or, I may think that that’s enough and I no longer need the ones I specified.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:40 pm

I can totally relate! Just deciding on what I was going to use as my master clock, how, and testing the clock resets took me nearly 3 hours on Saturday! :p
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:16 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:I can totally relate! Just deciding on what I was going to use as my master clock, how, and testing the clock resets took me nearly 3 hours on Saturday! :p

I know, I reached a point where I was actually spending more time buying, planning, and patching, than actually making music. That’s bad.
I’ve had a reply about my Rack Brute so that’s cool, I can sell it on and get my Doepfer LC3.
I ordered my Jupiter Storm today, from a shop called Signal Sound in Glasgow, they seem to have good stock levels, and very good prices.
I bought my Maths from Elevator Sound in Bristol, I got a lovely hand written card in the box thanking me for my custom! how amazing is that!

:beamup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Nice touch! I usually deal with Control here in Brooklyn, or Perfect Circuit in CA. I've heard great things about Signal Sound!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:31 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Nice touch! I usually deal with Control here in Brooklyn, or Perfect Circuit in CA. I've heard great things about Signal Sound!

Ben, Signal are amazing, it came next day delivery! I’m home now, the Storm is sitting unopened, going to have some fun today!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Do you have a Modular Grid rack showing this setup in complete form, or can you list the modules? Is this totally self-contained, or will you be connecting it to semi-modular?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:32 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Do you have a Modular Grid rack showing this setup in complete form, or can you list the modules? Is this totally self-contained, or will you be connecting it to semi-modular?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1015413

Here’s the latest incarnation, can’t seem to improve on this, I was going to use a combination of cheap Doepfer stuff to ad a random element, but the Wogglebug won out.
This is purely for random noise generation, insect and nature type sounds, I have my Matriarch and a Micro Freak for other things, and for some reason, I like to keep my instruments self contained, I don’t like cross-patching, I like trying to get the most out of one thing, the limitations.
The Maths is going to be primarily a great utility, it’s my mixer, two LFO's, attenuators, envelopes, it’s saved me so much space.
The Doepfer delay is great very dirty, and as for other effects, I have enough pedals to keep me going!
The only things I’m going to wonder about are VCA's, although, I may see how I get on, I’ve never been a big user, but they are useful sometimes.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:53 am

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1336683

Here’s a link to my previous design.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:50 pm

That looks like a fun skiff!

I don’t like cross-patching, I like trying to get the most out of one thing, the limitations.

The Doepfer delay is great very dirty, and as for other effects, I have enough pedals to keep me going!

Isn’t that the same thing? :D

The Maths is going to be primarily a great utility, it’s my mixer, two LFO's, attenuators, envelopes, it’s saved me so much space.
Yup, as long as you don’t have to use more than 1-2 utilities as a time, Maths is a great solution!

The only things I’m going to wonder about are VCA's, although, I may see how I get on, I’ve never been a big user, but they are useful sometimes.
You can use Optomix as a 2 channel VCA, no?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:My patch as it stands now:
I love the look of this stuff, but given my colossal levels of ignorance I might as well just print it out as a poster and stick it on the wall behind me. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby RichardT » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:19 pm

For me at least, that’s quite true!
RichardT
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:00 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Yup, as long as you don’t have to use more than 1-2 utilities as a time, Maths is a great solution!

That’s what’s bothering me a bit, if 1/4 are cycling LFO's, that blows them out as envelopes, using the mixer? no attenuators :(

Ben Asaro wrote:You can use Optomix as a 2 channel VCA, no?

Yes, that’s what I thought :thumbup:

Blinddrew, if you can use a keyboard synth, you can use a modular. it can be as simple, or as complicated as you want it to be, plus, there are people who are more than willing to help you get started.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:24 am

Arpangel wrote:Blinddrew, if you can use a keyboard synth, you can use a modular. it can be as simple, or as complicated as you want it to be, plus, there are people who are more than willing to help you get started.
This is the only synth I own: https://www.rakits.co.uk/assembly-guides/drum-synth/ :)
(actually that's not true, I have Xpand2! as a software synth as well).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next