You are here

Assembled a single-voice generative skiff with my 7 year old

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Assembled a single-voice generative skiff with my 7 year old

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:04 pm

The modular reorg continues!

My 7 year old and I assembled this single-voice (Pluck) generative skiff this morning. Looking forward to having a play on it! All it's missing is the delay and reverb, which I'll bring in via Rosie's effects loop.

I still have about 50hp of modules to sort out ...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: Assembled a single-voice generative skiff with my 7 year old

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:35 pm

That looks amazing fun Ben, look forward to hearing some pieces!
I need a Rosie too, it’ll be interesting to see how long I can keep this down to 3U.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks! An output module is critical if you want to keep it to a self-contained skiff.

I was skirting around the edges of the whole generative thing last night, here's what I came up with. I remembered a couple of things:

1 Pluck sounds amazing and is really versatile
2 You can cover a crazy amount of melodic ground just with the Turing Machine and a quantizer with a single voice

Here's what came out last night: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MizR9Z ... sp=sharing

Function is being used as the clock source. From there it goes to Euclidean Circles and output 1 is multed. The other outputs on EC are going to my drum modules. Most importantly, the EOC from Function is going to Branches, which has two outputs randomizing the damping and decay on Pluck.

This was definitely a performative piece, lots of fading of elements in and out, adjusting the TM to create new random melodies and then locking in the once I thought sounded interesting.

EDIT: The drone is from the Mother-32. I will come up with something more interesting when I have time to play round with the patch again!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:15 pm

Wait a minute, this is modular stuff playing a tune, is that allowed?

;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:17 pm

blinddrew wrote:Wait a minute, this is modular stuff playing a tune, is that allowed?

;)
HA! Seriously lol :o
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:56 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Thanks! An output module is critical if you want to keep it to a self-contained skiff.

I was skirting around the edges of the whole generative thing last night, here's what I came up with. I remembered a couple of things:

1 Pluck sounds amazing and is really versatile
2 You can cover a crazy amount of melodic ground just with the Turing Machine and a quantizer with a single voice

Here's what came out last night: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MizR9Z ... sp=sharing

Function is being used as the clock source. From there it goes to Euclidean Circles and output 1 is multed. The other outputs on EC are going to my drum modules. Most importantly, the EOC from Function is going to Branches, which has two outputs randomizing the damping and decay on Pluck.

This was definitely a performative piece, lots of fading of elements in and out, adjusting the TM to create new random melodies and then locking in the once I thought sounded interesting.

EDIT: The drone is from the Mother-32. I will come up with something more interesting when I have time to play round with the patch again!

That piece is amazing Ben, lovely idea, and the reason it sounds so interesting apart from your input! is that it sounds very very acoustic, the subtle timbral changes are beautiful, and the tuning isn’t perfect, which only ads to the naturalness, I love the drums, very subtle, all in all a great piece.
I was thinking of getting a Bells, or a Pluck, I’m still not sure, I don’t want to sequence them though, I need to figure out if I can control them with sample and hold modules, and random triggers.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:47 am

Very nice!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:That piece is amazing Ben, lovely idea, and the reason it sounds so interesting apart from your input! is that it sounds very very acoustic, the subtle timbral changes are beautiful, and the tuning isn’t perfect, which only ads to the naturalness, I love the drums, very subtle, all in all a great piece.
Thanks!

I was thinking of getting a Bells, or a Pluck, I’m still not sure, I don’t want to sequence them though, I need to figure out if I can control them with sample and hold modules, and random triggers.
I can’t speak for Bell, but Pluck will certainly work with S&H. You could theoretically plug 3 sample & holds into it. I’ll have to look into Bell, it somehow passed me by!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Very nice!
Thank you, Eddy! Still needs quite a bit of work!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ramirez » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:59 pm

Very good!

I like the look (sound) of Pluck. I might...
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:58 am

Hi Ben,

I wasn't expecting such an acoustic-sounding piece either, but I rather enjoyed the occasional unruly tuning 8-)

A strangely hypnotic track :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:37 am

Ben Asaro wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:That piece is amazing Ben, lovely idea, and the reason it sounds so interesting apart from your input! is that it sounds very very acoustic, the subtle timbral changes are beautiful, and the tuning isn’t perfect, which only ads to the naturalness, I love the drums, very subtle, all in all a great piece.
Thanks!

I can’t speak for Bell, but Pluck will certainly work with S&H. You could theoretically plug 3 sample & holds into it. I’ll have to look into Bell, it somehow passed me by!

Something really strange happened yesterday, despite my plan on the grid, I ended up with an extra 6HP of space in my rack! after I installed all of my modules.
The RackBrute I have has more than 83HP of usable space, very strange.
I’ve decided against things like Bell, I want to stick to my guns and to keep this as a abstract atonal thing, if I expand later I may change my mind.
Now I’m going to figure out how to use that extra 6HP!

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster