You are here

Convenient Rehearsal Gear

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Convenient Rehearsal Gear

Postby MuzoHub » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:19 am

Hi All

I hope everyone is keeping positive and testing negative.

I just want to gauge some feedback (the good kind) on equipment used in a rehearsal room as there’s already been some healthy debate in another music collective forum.

What are your thoughts on rehearsal rooms where most of the gear is provided for you ? I ask because a relative of mine lives in the US and he used a rehearsal room where they provide...
- Drums (minus kick pedal and cymbals)
- Decent PA and 2 Shure mics
- 2 Line6 guitar pods (wired to the PA)
- 1 Line 6 bass pod (wired to the PA)

From the pics I’ve seen the room isn’t quite 5 star but it’s OK and there’s an attempt to add acoustic treatment although I, told that the isolation between each rehearsal room is very good.

My questions are...
Would you happily use the PODs (if you were shown how to use them) in your rehearsal room?
What do you ideally expect to be in a rehearsal room facility ?
MuzoHub
Poster
Al - Chief Muzo @ MuzoHub
www.muzohub.com

Re: Convenient Rehearsal Gear

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:40 am

Personally i'd happily try out the pod rather than lugging my amp in.
Our guitar player? Hmm, not sure. I think he'd give it a go but he's much more picky about his sound.
I think if a place is heading down that route should definitely think about having some real amps available as an option.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:33 pm

When we had a rehearsal studio we left it to the artists to provide the backline and we provided the PA and 3 vocal mics as standard but they could ask for more mics if needed. Some people would put bass through the PA and even occasionally guitars. We had a 12 channel mixer.

It seems that providing a drum kit and amps is more usual these days though I'd suggest allocating a decent budget to cover breakages.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MuzoHub » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:53 pm

I think weighing up the cost of sectioning a part of the unit in which bands can store their gear versus buying a few amps that people can hire by the hour is worth looking into.
MuzoHub
Poster
www.muzohub.com

Postby resistorman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:09 pm

Providing guitar amps would be dicey. Almost every guitar player I've met (including me) is very particular about their sound, especially if you're rehearsing and learning/ writing songs. When I wear my bass player hat, I'm not real particular because I don't use any efx at all.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:36 pm

When I used to do live PA gigs we often used to supply backline for festivals where changeover times were very tight. Most guitar players were happy to use our guitar amps even though we usually said it was ok for them to bring their own if they really wanted to. Bass players and drummers were always happy to use the supplied kit.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 pm

No, I wouldn’t use the pods, No need these days, I can bring my own emulator of choice in my backpack.

I actually came to prefer that to any random backline. With the electric guitar you play the amp and especially the cabinet as much as the instrument so it’s much better if it stays constant.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:36 pm

I should have added that the guitarists I mentioned above were asked to bring their own fx or pedalboards (as well as instruments obviously). I like to use my own rig, including my 18 watt combo but would be happy with my pedalboard (or, when I get to grips with it, Headrush Gigboard) and the house amp. I don't claim golden ears though, nor to be a 'tone hound'.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:16 am

Always intriguing - the guitarists who obsess about getting the perfect tone, but with the amp on the floor pointing at their ankles....
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:11 am

I've been using a guitar sim live for years (POD HD, Kemper, Helix) so I'm with CS70 on this - the Helix goes over my shoulder no problem. Equally you won't convert the glowing glass bottle brigade.

Of the last seven rehearsal studios that I've used, six had in-house PAs and three offered lock-up facilities. Of the rooms offering PAs only I've only used the PA in one of them as the others weren't really up to the job.

Only three of the facilities had any form of acoustic treatment. For me this is the biggest strength. I'd happily pay more for a good sounding room as it makes rehearsals so much more productive.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MuzoHub » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:00 am

resistorman wrote:Providing guitar amps would be dicey. Almost every guitar player I've met (including me) is very particular about their sound, especially if you're rehearsing and learning/ writing songs. When I wear my bass player hat, I'm not real particular because I don't use any efx at all.

I think I’d be the same, especially if I’m trying to perfect the sound prior to a recording session.
MuzoHub
Poster
www.muzohub.com

Postby MuzoHub » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 am

AlecSp wrote:Always intriguing - the guitarists who obsess about getting the perfect tone, but with the amp on the floor pointing at their ankles....

Excellent point
MuzoHub
Poster
www.muzohub.com

Postby MuzoHub » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 am

Music Wolf wrote:I've been using a guitar sim live for years (POD HD, Kemper, Helix) so I'm with CS70 on this - the Helix goes over my shoulder no problem. Equally you won't convert the glowing glass bottle brigade.

Of the last seven rehearsal studios that I've used, six had in-house PAs and three offered lock-up facilities. Of the rooms offering PAs only I've only used the PA in one of them as the others weren't really up to the job.

Only three of the facilities had any form of acoustic treatment. For me this is the biggest strength. I'd happily pay more for a good sounding room as it makes rehearsals so much more productive.

I love that - the ‘glowing glass bottle brigade’ :D
MuzoHub
Poster
www.muzohub.com

Postby MarkPAman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:45 am

One of the bands I work(ed) with a bit tend to use the rehearsal room's kit for writing & learning new material, but will take all of their own stuff to the last session before a gig or recording. In part this is to make sure it sounds right, but it's also to test that everything is in good working order and where it should be. This (usually) means they don't arrive at a gig with dodgy or missing leads, PSUs etc. Or, as last happened year, shows that a singer's new radio mic (why - he's also a guitarist and never moves the mic from the stand) interferes with the (dancing) sax player's radio system.

I think offering guitarists something that will get close to the the sound they want is always going to be appreciated by most of them, some of the time, and some of them, most of the time - especially if their own equipment is heavy. But unless you have the exact same gear as they gig/record with, there are alway going to be times they want to bing their own, which for some will be every time.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Music Wolf wrote:Only three of the facilities had any form of acoustic treatment. For me this is the biggest strength. I'd happily pay more for a good sounding room as it makes rehearsals so much more productive.
Our drummer was getting a bit fed up with lugging his kit out every week so we tried a couple of places round here. One was solid walls on all 6 sides, thin carpet and a couple of foam tiles on the walls - we had to give up trying to do backing vocals as the whole midrange was just mush. The other was just wooden 'rooms' built into a large industrial unit; much better for not having your sound bouncing around the room, but you did have to put up with other people's sound bouncing round your room...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next