You are here

My experience (so far)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: My experience (so far)

Postby ajay_m » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:16 pm

I can say that five minutes playing patches a001 and a004 ( Blade Titles) on a hydrasynth with full poly aftertouch (and a ribbon!) rates as one of my life-changing experiences. So yes the keyboard is a big part of the musical experience.
ajay_m
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:36 pm

The Elf wrote:And if you're a guitarist... what if your fret positions were half the distance?
It's called a mandolin... ;)

Actually, fret and string spacing on guitars is neither constant on the guitar or across guitars so it's not such a good argument. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:42 pm

ajay_m wrote:I can say that five minutes playing patches a001 and a004 ( Blade Titles) on a hydrasynth with full poly aftertouch (and a ribbon!) rates as one of my life-changing experiences. So yes the keyboard is a big part of the musical experience.
Oh yes. Only those that understand, truly understand... :thumbup: :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:43 pm

blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote:And if you're a guitarist... what if your fret positions were half the distance?
It's called a mandolin... ;)

Actually, fret and string spacing on guitars is neither constant on the guitar or across guitars so it's not such a good argument. ;)
It is if the fret size precludes playing certain styles of music, which I'm betting it does.

'Eruption' on a mandolin? That would be like playing 'Firth of Fifth' on a reface - but I'm betting that somebody can do it! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:10 pm

And it certainly wouldn't be me! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:58 am

And anyone who could, wouldn't want to!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Dave B » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:01 pm

Fishnish wrote:Other folk who own original Mk 1s or Mk 3s have said the same to me - the Minitaur in direct comparison comes close, but not quite there for "those" sounds.

I always chuckle at those kinds of observations. I'm sure that solo, in a studio, on a good system, people will tell the difference. Fine. But years ago, rather than fly a set of Mk1s overseas, the band I was tech'ing for took a set of midi pedals and my Matrix 1000 to South America. I can clearly remember all the bits of ceiling floating down as we tested this system through the PA...

I don't think anyone enjoying the show noticed the difference ... ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 pm

The Matrix 1000 actually was a pretty good substitute for the Taurus as I recall. So was the MKS-80. One band I worked with used an MKS-70, which had some of the character, but it never rumbled through the floor the way the Taurus did.

None of these things are ever obvious to an audience, but if they've paid to come see me the least I can do is make sure that *I'm* happy with what they hear!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Fishnish » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Dave B wrote:
Fishnish wrote:Other folk who own original Mk 1s or Mk 3s have said the same to me - the Minitaur in direct comparison comes close, but not quite there for "those" sounds.

I always chuckle at those kinds of observations. I'm sure that solo, in a studio, on a good system, people will tell the difference. Fine. But years ago, rather than fly a set of Mk1s overseas, the band I was tech'ing for took a set of midi pedals and my Matrix 1000 to South America. I can clearly remember all the bits of ceiling floating down as we tested this system through the PA...

I don't think anyone enjoying the show noticed the difference ... ;)

I'd be in agreement as a listener, especially in a gig situation. I think one tends to notice these sort of subtle differences more if you're the person playing the instrument. Lots of guitarists have more than one seemingly identical Les Paul for instance, but to the player they behave differently. No one else would ever notice but it has an impact on the the way they perform.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby horiprod » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:07 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
horiprod wrote:Trying to attach one of my GX-1 jpg images with no success. The "Img" box doesn't appear to let me .... any advice ? Thanks!

The forum doesn't allow attachments to be uploaded directly but you can upload your image to somewhere such as imgur.com and then link to the image by placing its URL inside the 'img' tags like this:

Code: Select all
[img]http://some.website.or.other.com/image_filename.jpg[/img]

Thanks Eddy, I'll try that later. I have some marvellous pics of a GX-1 in perfection condition that was a "barn find" in outback Australia! (there were only about 50 ever made). A US client of mine asked me to check it out, and he subsequently bought it. My previous interaction with him was through his acquisition of two Fairlight CMIs bought from Vivian Kubrick, which I restored for him ....
horiprod

Previous