You are here

Is it okay to leave active monitors on all the time?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it okay to leave active monitors on all the time?

Postby Waltern8tor » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:57 pm

Just curious if it's okay to leave Active monitors on all the time or does everyone awkwardly reach over and grope around to switch them on and off every time they want to use them?

Cheers
Waltern8tor
Regular
"In space no-one can hear you scream".

Re: Is it okay to leave active monitors on all the time?

Postby Luke W » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:17 pm

I think it's fair to say that leaving them powered up wont cause any problems in itself, but you want to avoid anything connected to them being powered up/down while they're on to stop any pops and bangs damaging them, and it's not good from an energy use perspective.

A common solution to reaching over to the switches is to power them from a switched plug board or similar that's in a more convenient location. I've got everything powered from a distribution unit in my rack so I can power everything up/down from where I sit.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:22 pm

Luke W wrote:A common solution to reaching over to the switches is to power them from a switched plug board...

My practice. It takes a second or two to kick in/out but still better than climbing over the telly.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:32 pm

Waltern8tor wrote:Just curious if it's okay to leave Active monitors on all the time or does everyone awkwardly reach over and grope around to switch them on and off every time they want to use them?

No, it's not okay to leave them on all the time, and no, there's no need to reach awkwardly around them groping for the switches.

As Luke says, if the monitors are on but the rest of the signal chain is switched on/off, the liklihood is that you'll get pops and splats when powering up/down everything else. And apart from being annoying, that kind of thing can potentially damage the drivers. There's also the wasted power, which is expensive and antisocial in our environmentally-conscious times.

The simple solution is to use remote-controlled socket adapters or a remote controlled mains plugboard, so you can power up/down both speakers with the press of a button (or two).

And that wa you can easily achieve best practice of powering the speakers up last, and off first.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:02 pm

My active monitors have their onboard switches set permanently on but are powered via a switched extension sitting within easy reach. It takes but a moment, is polar-bear-friendly and avoids the pops and crackles etc.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Waltern8tor » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:57 pm

These new fangled remote sockets look like the ticket.
I see a 3 pack available here would also take care of the mixer.
Can't believe I've never heard of these before!

Thanks all!
Waltern8tor
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:24 am

Waltern8tor wrote:These new fangled remote sockets look like the ticket.
I see a 3 pack available here would also take care of the mixer.
Can't believe I've never heard of these before!

Thanks all!

Good chap! I have two sets of such controllers, one on on my living room AV/ hi fi setup and another in my bedroom so I don't have to stumble about in the dark!

Another reaso not to leave electronic kit on all the time* is reliability. Most of the 'bits' have an indefinitely long life but electrolytic capacitors do not. They are specified at 10,000 hours (iirc) at their voltage an temperature rating. Now, good designs do not run caps close to limiting values but designers also expect a reasonable duty cycle!

* I have a Behringer X802 mixer that amps some mics in the garden. Necessarily on all the time for recording and has been so for at least ten years! I await the POP any day!

Actually I could fit a bogo-S time switch as I record only in darkness but I wonder if an ON/OFF cycle would make things LESS reliable?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:30 am

Interesting. I tend to leave them on but the monitor controller is on mute when I turn the workstation on. Perhaps I should reconsider.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Folderol » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:05 pm

If you're posh, you'll have everything on a sequential switcher, so it all comes on slightly staggered in a specific order, and goes of in the reverse direction.
{thinks: must get around to rebuilding mine}
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:39 pm

Folderol wrote:If you're posh, you'll have everything on a sequential switcher, so it all comes on slightly staggered in a specific order, and goes of in the reverse direction.
{thinks: must get around to rebuilding mine}

You could use an old washing machine cam timer Will!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:34 pm

I guess I was just being superstitious or something but for some reason I thought it better to power off units, especially powered monitors, by flipping their onboard power switches. Good to know I can safely use the switch on a power bar or somesuch.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:35 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I guess I was just being superstitious or something but for some reason I thought it better to power off units, especially powered monitors, by flipping their onboard power switches. Good to know I can safely use the switch on a power bar or somesuch.

Some gear does include timed relay switch-on (you switch on and will then hear a small mechanical click a second or so later, as the output of the gear is connected once the power supply rails have stabilised (I have one power amp that does this, and my Lavry DA10 DAC).

This should avoid all thumps/splats later on in the chain on power up, even if you do so to every gear item remotely and simultaneously.

However, as others have already mentioned, if your power amps don't have these then even if switching on & off remotely always power up the amps last, and switch them off first (i.e. don't attempt to remotely switch everything on at once).

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Waltern8tor » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:56 pm

I see some cheaper ones here in NZ under Powertech brand are RF operated and you can buy a pack of 3 with a remote. The adapters can be programmed to respond to any of the 4 buttons (a,b,c or d) so you could switch on/off equipment in any order

There are some more expensive wifi operated by phone apps such as Philips hue, which can also be used to dim the lights but they only play Barry White apparently
Waltern8tor
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:26 pm

Waltern8tor wrote:There are some more expensive wifi operated by phone apps such as Philips hue, which can also be used to dim the lights but they only play Barry White apparently
Can't you get Simply Red or Deep Purple models as well?

Sorry. I'll get my coat.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby chanceoperation » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Remember "The Clapper"?

Hilarious ads with worn out looking actors overplaying the part of feeble bed-ridden ancients?

But boy, could they clap! Clap On!! Clap Off!!!

My wife and I saw one recently at the checkout at the pharmacy, looked at each other, and said "We gotta have one!" And it works. Really quite convenient for turning out the lights. Although it does wake up the dog.

You could get one of those. No need to leave your chair.

Just don't record any claps...
chanceoperation
Poster

Next