You are here

QSC TouchMix Pro 30?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

QSC TouchMix Pro 30?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:25 am

My god, am I seeing things? what? 24 line inputs, 14 (!) aux outputs! In this size footprint, even the lack of hardware faders is worth putting up with for this.
I hadn’t even noticed this up until now, because of my "digital phobia" but this needs serious investigation, it’s like it was made for my set-up.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/qsc_touchmix_30_pro.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9J701Pua7QIVqujtCh1IqgC0EAQYAiABEgKZZvD_BwE
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: QSC TouchMix Pro 30?

Postby CS70 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:28 am

I use a TouchMix 8 (in its time recommended by Mike) and it's a really neat solution.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:31 am

:headbang: :crazy: :roll: :headbang: :crazy: :roll: :headbang: :crazy: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:34 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote::headbang: :crazy: :roll: :headbang: :crazy: :roll: :headbang: :crazy: :lol:

OK OK OK, I’m not a 100% these days, but I’m not paid to be on the ball, that’s what you guys are for.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:37 am

We were.... and you poo-poo'd the idea... several times! :lolno: ;)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:45 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:We were.... and you poo-poo'd the idea... several times! :lolno: ;)

I can’t ignore this Hugh, it just slipped me by, on top of what I just said, it even has the ability to record multi-track on to an external drive, zillions of effects, and it can be an interface, I’m just hoping it’s not too big, it needs to fit in my space, which is basically 19 inches wide, from the specs though, it looks like it’ll be OK.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:43 pm

But you don't want digital. You don't have the time to learn a complicated new thing. You absolutely must have physical faders. And XLR input and output sockets are much too inconvenient.... :crazy:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But you don't want digital. You don't have the time to learn a complicated new thing. You absolutely must have physical faders. And XLR input and output sockets are much too inconvenient.... :crazy:

I can’t let those things get in the way, 14 auxiliaries? and 24 hardware inputs, and, its rack mounting! That’s before we even talk about FX, and routing.
I’ll just have to make up adaptor leads, and AFAIK, from what others have said, it's one of the easier mixers to learn, plus, I’ll not be pushing it, I’ll just be using it as a basic mixer, I’m not into creating templates, networking, and DAW stuff.
I can have four of the aux as subs, and still be left with ten sends, that’s amazing and have many more inputs than I’ve got already, it will also do away with the need for a patch bay, a separate interface, and probably, it’ll enable me to cut back on hardware effects, just keeping my most used ones.
I just wish I could try one out, it’s a bad time just to jump straight in, I can’t even hire one.
I’m not going to rush this, I need to think about it, but it really does tick all of my boxes, plus many more, I just have to adjust to the lack of faders,
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:26 pm

:angel: :thumbup: :smirk:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote::angel: :thumbup: :smirk:

Hugh, I could even use a TouchMix 16, I’ve just looked at the spec, that’s got a total of ten hardware sends, two are stereo on the front panel, also it has combi-jacks on some inputs, enough to take my synths, and some of my effects are balanced anyway.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Arpangel wrote:from what others have said, it's one of the easier mixers to learn

Well, it's not crazy hard but don't think you cant just jump in without reading the manual - at least if you do want to use effects and recording...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:32 pm

Or you could buy an X32 Producer and save yourself £600. It's rack mountable, 22 physical inputs and 14 outputs and it has real faders...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:10 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Or you could buy an X32 Producer and save yourself £600. It's rack mountable, 22 physical inputs and 14 outputs and it has real faders...

I could, but the physical size, especially the TM16, is attractive, plus, I don’t actually mix, on a mixer! I do it in my DAW, I may mix a bit while I’m playing, but that’s minimal, that’s why I’m even considering, going fader-less.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:22 pm

I do get where you are coming from Tony, I was an early adopter of the Mackie DL1608 (I still have it and it is still my goto for most of my gigs, or will be when we finally get back to them). I prefer faders for running large channel counts live and I do mix on the desk rather than ITB in the studio so the X32C is great for those jobs but for more modest channel counts live the DL is brilliant.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:12 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’m not going to rush this, I need to think about it,
Who are you and what have you done with Arpangel?

(Or is this a code? Have you been kidnapped? Wink once for yes.)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next