You are here

Adobe Audition Alternative

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Adobe Audition Alternative

Postby brucie » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi there everyone.

I am currently going through my software subscriptions and realise that I am paying quite a lot for Adobe Creative Suite and not using 1/10th of what it has to offer. At the moment I use

Audition
Premiere Pro
Lightroom
Spark

And that is about it. For each of these applications (aside from Audition) I can find a suitable alternative and am happy to use for what I need to do. Eg Davinci Resolve, Photos.

Audition is the tricky one. I current use Logic, PT and Reaper in my day today work and teaching, but I keep coming back to Audition because of it's single file editing, the batch processing (a god send), the ability to record batch actions, loudness matching, and simply it's speed when just wanting to cut a bit of audio out of a wave file and save it as something else.

I do also have Audacity for quick dirty edits, but it is mostly the batch and loudness processing that I used daily.

I know that there is Sound Forge and WaveLab out there, but I would be interested to see if there are any alternatives I have missed, or what anyone's thoughts are on those two.

The funny thing is Adobe do do an Audition 'plan' but it is only £5 less than having all 52 million apps and seems kind of pointless.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Neil

PS I don't want to consider just using Reaper as I can't get on with it's timeline editing. I like to edit on the waveform.
brucie
Regular
Neil S. Bruce - http://www.spencerbruce.com

Re: Adobe Audition Alternative

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:22 pm

IZotope RX.

Does all the batch processing you could need -- more capable than Aidition, actually -- plus the ability to top and tail edit etc, loudness matching, and a whole load of restoration tools thrown in! I'm increasingly using it for jobs I normally used Audition for.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:27 pm

Try Samplitude ProX 5? The demo will take you nearly to the Christmas break.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:24 pm

ef37a wrote:Try Samplitude ProX 5? The demo will take you nearly to the Christmas break.

You've strayed into the Mac forum Dave - Samplitude appears to still be PC only.

However, Magix also sell Sound Forge for the Mac which may fit the bill. There are also a few others like Triumph which appears to have been resurrected recently.

I can understand Hugh's recommendation of RX as even the cheapest version will work as an audio editor but there are still times when I prefer my ancient copy of Audition - particularly for single click removal and quick scrolling through the spectral view. However, I'm on PC and my copy comes from the days before they went to the subscription model. I don't think I'd subscribe now.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:49 pm

James Perrett wrote:
ef37a wrote:Try Samplitude ProX 5? The demo will take you nearly to the Christmas break.

You've strayed into the Mac forum Dave - Samplitude appears to still be PC only.

However, Magix also sell Sound Forge for the Mac which may fit the bill. There are also a few others like Triumph which appears to have been resurrected recently.

I can understand Hugh's recommendation of RX as even the cheapest version will work as an audio editor but there are still times when I prefer my ancient copy of Audition - particularly for single click removal and quick scrolling through the spectral view. However, I'm on PC and my copy comes from the days before they went to the subscription model. I don't think I'd subscribe now.

Yes James but I am sure I read that Samplitude was going to be 'mac ready'? Not happened then?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby tomas_man » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Mhhh I'd recommend maybe looking into Cubase/Nuendo, the Sample Editor is pretty good, I think it might tick all the boxes. Might wanto to look athetheir WaveLab as well
tomas_man
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:39 pm

James Perrett wrote:I can understand Hugh's recommendation of RX as even the cheapest version will work as an audio editor but there are still times when I prefer my ancient copy of Audition - particularly for single click removal and quick scrolling through the spectral view.

RX8 now has a much better scroll feature for the spectral view, so that Adobe advantage has gone. Audition could still win for a single click removal... But if it's no longer an option I'd be happy to use RX as a capable alternative, particularly if batch processing is an important requirement.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:50 pm

tomas_man wrote:Mhhh I'd recommend maybe looking into Cubase/Nuendo, the Sample Editor is pretty good, I think it might tick all the boxes. Might wanto to look athetheir WaveLab as well
Cubase is often revered for its MIDI editing, but I do agree that the audio editing is exemplary.

But RX is in a different league altogether - almost magical.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby brucie » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Thanks that is awesome. I have been looking for an excuse to jump on the RX train for sometime, but was thinking of it purely for noise reduction, I should have looked closer at the additional functionality!

Hopefully it will be goodbye Adobe. I do believe that we are stuck with subscription models but it does feel to me that theirs is a little bit of an odd one, especially if you only want 1 or 2 of their products. It is a fantastic deal if you use all their design tools, or Premiere and AE etc, but it does seems a bit overkill if you just are attached to Audtion. If it was £5-10pm then I would probably stick around.

Thanks Hugh and everyone! :)
brucie
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:57 am

and there is probably some kind of Black Friday/Week/Month etc deal out there too.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:48 am

iZotope seem to have sales on permanently.
If you want the Standard version of RX 8 then take a look at the Suites as often you can get a bunch of other stuff for not much more.
Some of it isn't tied to a single license so you can pass/sell it on.
Look for a Crossgrade deal from ANY other iZotope product which you can get for free or £10 or so.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby awjoe » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:13 am

brucie wrote:If it was £5-10pm then I would probably stick around.

Can I ask what Adobe charges in Britain for a month of Audition?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Well, maybe I could take one for the team. But no pictures.

Postby tomas_man » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:41 am

The Elf wrote:
tomas_man wrote:Mhhh I'd recommend maybe looking into Cubase/Nuendo, the Sample Editor is pretty good, I think it might tick all the boxes. Might wanto to look athetheir WaveLab as well
Cubase is often revered for its MIDI editing, but I do agree that the audio editing is exemplary.

But RX is in a different league altogether - almost magical.

Yes, I agree. Although Wavelab I think is as powerful and almost half the price
tomas_man
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:51 am

awjoe wrote:Can I ask what Adobe charges in Britain for a month of Audition?

Currently, the standard 'individuals' annual plan is £238.42, or £19.97 per month (both including VAT). You can also rent it for a single month at £30.34 inc VAT.

The details are all here: https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/plans.html?filter=video-audio&plan=individual
Hugh Robjohns

Postby brucie » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:00 am

Yes it is £19.97 per month.

Then I realised I have been a CC user for 6 years.....that is a lot of cash when you add it up for things I don't really use. Much happier with a 1 off payment and then decided if and when to pay for any upgrades. RX here I come! (and Davinci Resolve.)
brucie
Regular

Next