You are here

Adobe Audition Alternative

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Adobe Audition Alternative

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:27 pm

I don't know how many people Adobe have pulled along into their subscription world, but almost (I don't recall any exceptions right now) everyone I know has abandoned them for alternatives.

For Photoshop duties, for instance, I now use https://www.photopea.com/, which is free and works perfectly well, though obviously not so advanced - which suits me. Just one example.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:38 pm

Adobe aren't interested in hobbyist individuals; they just want regular, predictable subscription income from large and small companies, corporations, colleges and schools.

And it's a perfectly sound business model for them...

...but a big and expensive frustration to those hobbyists who only used one or two programs rather than the whole integrated suite of production tools. Fortunately, there are a lot of perfectly adequate low-cost alternatives around, and the translation learning curve is rarely large.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:48 pm

Hmm, we used AA 1.5 some time ago and it was very good, would play and sort almost any file.

I still have it on this W10 laptop but it is 'peculiar'? If I drop a .wav in it shows up bu the play function is greyed out and I cannot run the track but if I click on it and "Insert into Multitrack" then open M track it plays!

I will confess 1.5 to be my one and only 'crack' bit I did not do it! The DAW came with an XP tower I had made by a mate with a computer business.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:13 pm

ef37a wrote:I still have it on this W10 laptop but it is 'peculiar'? If I drop a .wav in it shows up bu the play function is greyed out and I cannot run the track but if I click on it and "Insert into Multitrack" then open M track it plays!

Check your audio interface settings as you can use different interfaces for the Edit view and the Multitrack view.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby brucie » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:28 pm

Just logged on to my Izotope account and it must be serendipity as they had a lovely discounted offer along with an upgrade package for my copy of Ozone 8 and Insight....Happy owner of RX now, Ozone update and a whole collection of other Izotope apps....all for less than the cost of my Adobe subs. Happy days and bye bye (sadly) Adobe.

Thanks everyone, most helpful.
brucie
Regular
Neil S. Bruce - http://www.spencerbruce.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:43 pm

:thumbup: :clap: :D
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:04 pm

There are today so many first-class alternatives to Adobe CS - not least of course, an older version of CS.

In audio, it is absurd for them to charge £20 a month for AA when there is Reaper, Soundforge, iZotope and DaVinci-Resolve that are all (IMO) far better!

In video editing, we have their full Premier and AE stuff, but I prefer to use Vegas Pro and when it comes to colouring, DaVinci-Resolve is now the go-to SW.

As for layouts and design, Corel is a better option, though I do use InDesign a lot, but an older one that I bought ages ago.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby awjoe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:59 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
awjoe wrote:Can I ask what Adobe charges in Britain for a month of Audition?

Currently, the standard 'individuals' annual plan is £238.42, or £19.97 per month (both including VAT). You can also rent it for a single month at £30.34 inc VAT.

The details are all here: https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/plans.html?filter=video-audio&plan=individual

I wasn't sure if I could access the British side. I'm on the American.

They know their audience. Adobe, I mean. £20/mo or $20/mo - same same? Nah. It divides usership. But I don't think they care about that, cuz they're afloat. Good to know about good alternatives. Cheers.

And thanks for the info.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Well, maybe I could take one for the team. But no pictures.

Postby brucie » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:58 pm

Just wanted to say a massive thanks to Hugh and everyone for the recommendations. First week of work post Audition has been a breeze! RX has done everything I have asked of it, just this second finished the last podcast edit of the week and the Breath control and Voice denoise are a god send! Saved me hours of editing out breaths!

Great interface, great tool!

Thanks for everything!
brucie
Regular
Neil S. Bruce - http://www.spencerbruce.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:09 pm

:thumbup: :clap: :D
Hugh Robjohns

Previous