You are here

Why my vocals sounds bad?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Why my vocals sounds bad?

Postby aviorrok » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi,
I don't know why but my vocals always sound bad and cheap, I feel like that I don't know how to mix vocals it always sounds cheap and not sit in the mix, and bad pitch correction also after Melodyne.

Here is a song that I'm working on
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G5wxAE ... sp=sharing

Thanks!
aviorrok
Regular

Re: Why my vocals sounds bad?

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:59 pm

Sounds like you're maybe working too close to the mic?

As to what to do with these as they are... You need to remove some of those muddy lows. And you need to add some 'air' to the vocal - really open up the highs, but this will also likely require some de-essing to keep them under control.

I would also use some parallel compression to even them out.

It's all about learning to mix, really. Listen, then respond, then listen again - until it sounds right to you.

Finally - stop relying on Melodyne!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby manwilde » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:38 pm

With the voice that you´ve already recorded, insert an eq and set a low pass filter. Start from 80Hz or so and go up while playing the song til you get rid of all that boominess and mud. Just by doing that you will improve the sound greatly.
And then, follow Elf´s advice...
manwilde
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:41 pm

Singing consistentlyon pitch is hard but it is not rocket science. Take the time to learn to sing more accurately and you will get much better results. Melodyne is not a substitute for singing in tune (whatever you might 'Believe' ;) ). Even if you occasionally use it to fix an otherwise good take it is always better to get it right at source.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby aviorrok » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:09 am

The Elf wrote:Sounds like you're maybe working too close to the mic?

As to what to do with these as they are... You need to remove some of those muddy lows. And you need to add some 'air' to the vocal - really open up the highs, but this will also likely require some de-essing to keep them under control.

I would also use some parallel compression to even them out.

It's all about learning to mix, really. Listen, then respond, then listen again - until it sounds right to you.

Finally - stop relying on Melodyne!

Yeah that's exactly what I did cut low, some mids, boost high and compress and use parallel compression and add reverb and delay, yeah you right about Melodyne
aviorrok
Regular