You are here

Turbine anomaly simulation

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Turbine anomaly simulation

Postby turbinaviolenta » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:20 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to work on a project related to anomaly detection in turbines.

What I want to do is to use a toy fan and monitor its power consumption and sound, then generating an anomaly like increasing/reducing the rotation and analyze the consequent noise and power consumption variation. Of course to monitor everything and to supply energy to the turbine I would use a Raspberry Pi 3. (Something similar here: link)

I'm very new, so I don't know how to start. I was, first of all, looking for a microphone to record the fan noise (link). Something better to suggest?

I'm completely open to any suggestion.

Thank you very much
turbinaviolenta

Re: Turbine anomaly simulation

Postby simedgoose » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:57 pm

Firstly I wouldn't use a microphone as there will be issues you have no control over - wind, planes etc.

Use piezo sensors to sense the vibration in the system which will give you a very good way of sensing changes without extraneous noise.
simedgoose
New here

Re: Turbine anomaly simulation

Postby forumuser840717 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:11 pm

What's the ultimate aim here? Is it only a toy fan that you want to measure or are you proposing to use this as a scaled down test to establish a way of measuring some kind of larger turbine system?

I only ask because when things scale up the technologies which are appropriate to the job will vary and, even with a toy fan, there are better ways to measure turbine anomalies than a microphone - unless you're specifically measuring the acoustic noise of the system as an aim in itself rather than as a means to examine something like rotational anomalies or vibration.
forumuser840717
Regular