You are here

Pedal of the week.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby garrettendi » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:50 pm

For me the Pedal of the Week is the Biyang Metal End Pro/King (I have the King version, they are the same circuit but the King has "better" components).

I discovered on Sunday that this pedal isn't just a straight up modern Metal pedal.. If you set the switches to "Classic", put all the dials on halfway except turning the Dist dial all the way down, then you get a very lovely Marshall Plexi sound, straight out the late 60s/early 70s!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
You don't need reverb, just stack two EQs together with a really long cable

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:05 am

I’m getting fed up with pedals now, they take up loads of space, power supplies, and the most annoying thing for me who’s used to rack gear, no input level meters.
The only plus point with pedals is they are portable, there’s only two pedals I'm keeping, my Zoom CDR70, and my Shallow Water, the rest can go.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:59 am

Can you not just put them in a box somewhere until you change your mind again?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Luke W » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:48 pm

blinddrew wrote:Can you not just put them in a box somewhere until you change your mind again?

Agreed. You'll definitely want them again. 11 pages ago you were starting threads about your pedal of the week :D
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Don’t say that -
I was just going to offer my space as a no charge storage unit for all the pedals, synths, marimbi etc he wants to store.
:bouncy:
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:12 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Don’t say that -
I was just going to offer my space as a no charge storage unit for all the pedals, synths, marimbi etc he wants to store.
:bouncy:

What’s your post code?

:D

It’s getting really bad, bloody technology, I’m going through a hate it phase.
I nearly took a hammer to my CDR70 yesterday, about some stupid bit of idiotic design.
You get something great, and it’s always got some annoying thing that seems to have been designed by a half-wit with tunnel vision. Manufactures should run their products past us lot before release, that would really sort things out, it’s like they are hermits who work in isolated bubbles far from the rest of the world.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Amen to all that and I’ll include the dimwits who add features to cars without testing them in the real world. Gone are the days of the Atari Twist where you hold it in two hands and twist it in opposite directions to supposedly reseat loose chips.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:48 am

blinddrew wrote:Can you not just put them in a box somewhere until you change your mind again?

I’ve tried that, and it hasn’t worked with some pedals, there’s a few I’m getting rid of that just annoy me, I thought they had great potential, but the trouble with a lot of the boutique way out pedals is that they are definitely one trick ponies, you’re paying sometimes £300+ for basically one effect you have little control over. My Minim pedal is a perfect example, way too much modulation on the delay, really annoying, mono all round, which is another thing, mono pisses me right off, you pay a lot for some of these things, and you basically end up with a crappy mono pedal.
Mono can be cool, some of the best ones are mono, but when it comes to high price modulation you need stereo, big time.
I’m keeping four pedals, my EHX delay, my Boss DD7, my Big Sky, and my Shallow Water, I need a decent rack effects unit, an all rounder, something like the Lexicon PCM92, or Eventide Eclipse.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:04 am

You buy a mono guitar pedal (built like that as most guitarists only use one amp) then you shouldn’t get frustrated at the pedal for only having a mono output.

If guitarists do go for a ‘stereo’ rig, then most seem to go for three amps, central one straight sound with effects coming from the outer two amps. So they could say it is equally frustrating not having three outputs (and matching inputs) on a pedal!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:17 am

Wonks wrote:You buy a mono guitar pedal (built like that as most guitarists only use one amp) then you shouldn’t get frustrated at the pedal for only having a mono output.

If guitarists do go for a ‘stereo’ rig, then most seem to go for three amps, central one straight sound with effects coming from the outer two amps. So they could say it is equally frustrating not having three outputs (and matching inputs) on a pedal!

I tend to get carried away with the sonic possibilities, and forget it’s a pedal, and ignore all the things I hate about them because sometimes it’s worthwhile.
I just made a great discovery about my Shallow Water, there’s a jumper inside so you can set it to line level, that’s another thing that annoys me about pedals, the guitar inputs, how dare they!

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:35 am

I know, the guitar level input using bastards!
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:04 am

Wonks wrote:I know, the guitar level input using bastards!

Yes, guitar playing/picking/sliding/strumming bastards too, I wouldn’t have the nerve.
Next thing you know they’ll be wanting to plug into our keyboards.
:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:22 am

Arpangel wrote:there’s only two pedals I'm keeping, my Zoom CDR70, and my Shallow Water, the rest can go.

Arpangel wrote:I’m keeping four pedals, my EHX delay, my Boss DD7, my Big Sky, and my Shallow Water, I need a decent rack effects unit, an all rounder, something like the Lexicon PCM92, or Eventide Eclipse.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:49 am

*pokes head out of hole*

:lol: :lol: :lol:

*goes back into hole*
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
You don't need reverb, just stack two EQs together with a really long cable

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:00 am

Arpy will obviously now go out and buy yet anther couple of expensive mono guitar pedals, then fall in love with them for a few days and the fall out of love with them again because they are a) mono and b) guitar level pedals. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext