You are here

X32-Edit Odd Problem

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

X32-Edit Odd Problem

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:21 pm

X32-Edit is an app that gives full control of an X32 Rack, with or without an X-Touch control surface, on a bigger screen. It works well with ten point touch sensitive screens - I use a Dell.

I update the app as well as the X32 firmware whenever there's an update available.

Today, after a few days normal use with the latest software, Windows reports "X32-Edit.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program.

I switched over to another computer and got the same message. I re-download the software and firmware, and got the same problem, so no corrupt files.

I ran the software as an administrator, I also backtracked on recent Windows updates, I cleared the computer of any open apps, I ran a clean up program - all to no avail.

Then I downloaded the M32-Edit (which I'd read works just the same) and Bingo! it worked. For half an hour at least, - then the dreaded message popped up again. HOWEVER this time I had the option to close the message, not the app. Lo and Behold, - the app is working fine. I haven't closed and re-opened it though in case it doesn't load at all giving the dreaded message again.

I also ran the MAC version of the app and it worked fine (though obviously with no touch screen)

Has anyone here experienced this, and if so how did you resolve it? :) Much obliged.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: X32-Edit Odd Problem

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:40 pm

Try a FULL uninstall/re-install. I'd use Revo Uninstaller and let it do a deep clean.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:39 pm

I doesn't actually install anything, it's just an exe file which you run each time you want to use the app. It's a while since I delved into Windows so I might be talking through my hat However I downloaded the reeves freebee and I will see if it helps. Cheers!
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:12 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I doesn't actually install anything, it's just an exe file which you run each time you want to use the app.
Then I'd look to see if it is storing any preferences, or making any registry entries - and remove those.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:52 pm

The M32-Edit.exe so far is working. I did have that message re-appear earlier as I mentioned, but the app was working fine. Since then I've closed the app, and re-opened it without problems.

I think I'll leave well alone for now.

It seems to me there might a problem with the X32-Edit.exe file. Thing is it has to interact with the X32 and its firmware, the X-touch and its firmware and Windows and its updates, and everything has to be just so. While the M32-Edit app is working fine I might as well wait to see if and subsequent update removes the problem (if there is a problem) The Midas M32 must be a very similar console since the edit app is identical apart from the color scheme. I suspect the M32 has lashings more Midas preamps and other goodies and is choc a bloc with more expensive electronics though.

Much obliged for the suggestions. I'll keep them in the fridge for when I get similar problems.

:thumbup:
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster