You are here

A DAW that allows you to use Melodyn plugin for macro...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

A DAW that allows you to use Melodyn plugin for macro...

Postby ender570 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Hello!
I'm having a hell of a time trying to find the answer to this, but does anyone know of any programs that would allow for using the Melodyn plugin for batch editing (similar to the macro function in Audacity)?

I'm only editing speech at the moment, and I know that 99% of the ~2,000 files I need to edit will only need a pitch and formant adjustment. It would save me so much time to run all of the files through a batch edit and then listen to them to pick out the ones that need more attention.

Thank you in advance!
ender570
New here

Re: A DAW that allows you to use Melodyn plugin for macro...

Postby desmond » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Put all the audio files on one track (so there are multiple contiguous regions), add the Melodyne plugin to the track, tweak the settings, and then use whatever your DAW is to batch export/bounce each individual region as a new audio file.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ender570 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:13 pm

Would that carry over the file name of each of the original files without my having to manually input it? The files are for a spoken word video story game, so the names of the files are pretty long and they need to be exact for the game to pick them up.

Having to type the name of each file would be time consuming
ender570
New here

Postby desmond » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:16 pm

ender570 wrote:Would that carry over the file name of each of the original files without my having to manually input it? The files are for a spoken word video story game, so the names of the files are pretty long and they need to be exact for the game to pick them up.

I have no idea of the behaviour of your DAW as I have no idea what DAW you are using.

Why don't you spend a few minutes to try, find out the behaviour, and make decisions on the options available to you? I just gave you a direction to pursue.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby James Perrett » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:23 pm

Assuming that Melodyne appears as a standard VST plug-in you can use Reaper's batch convertor. It will use the source filename as the destination but there are all kinds of other wildcard options too. It is free to try with no limitations.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ender570 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:18 am

I'm trying Reaper now!
It's a bit confusing, though ... I see where to access the batch conversions, but when I select "use fx", click the "fx chain..." box and select the melodyne vst, it doesn't allow me to input any edits through melodyne because no audio is actually loaded. How do I tell the chain what to do with Melodyne?

Sorry, I'm a newbie!
ender570
New here

Postby zenguitar » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:49 am

Before leaping into the learning curve of a new DAW, how about telling us which DAW you use at present? It is possible that it is perfectly capable of doing what you want.

Reaper is very powerful, many of us here use it or have used it in the past. So it is always worth getting familiar with it as it is highly configurable, multi-platform, and can work very well on less powerful hardware.

But most DAW's should be capable of doing what Desmond describes and retaining the individual clip titles.

If this is something you will be doing regularly, it is worth considering a few hours of one to one tuition with someone who knows your DAW inside out. They could talk you through the process and maybe help you build macro's to automate the process. There are several reputable members here who offer such services and some can work remotely as well.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:11 am

It might also help if you told us the exact procedure that you were trying to follow. I had assumed that you were after a fixed pitch change when I suggested Reaper's batch mode. If you need something interactive then there may be a better alternative.
James Perrett

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:26 am

I think your problem with Melodyne is that it relies on audio being transferred to it. usually in real time. I don't know how other DAWs do it, but Cubase has only recently added ARA that gives closer interaction between the likes of Melodyne and DAW.

Maybe those with better knowledge of Reaper can advise on how it handles ARA?

This is a heck of a task to take on as a newbie!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ender570 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:04 pm

zenguitar wrote:Before leaping into the learning curve of a new DAW, how about telling us which DAW you use at present?

I'm currently using the standalone Melodyne Studio 5. I have a bit of experience with audacity, though

James Perrett wrote:It might also help if you told us the exact procedure that you were trying to follow.
I think I might need to look into the chain function in general, but where I'm stuck now is that i:

1. Added an audio track into Reaper
2. Added the Melodyne Fx, adjusted that file exactly I want the other files done
3. Saved it as a preset
4. Then closed the audio and opened the Batch Conversations option from the File dropdown
5. Added all of the files I want edited
6. Selected the output folder and output specifications
7. Selected "Use Fx"
8. In the Fx window, selected "Add" and chose the melodyne Plugin
9. Loaded my preset
10. Pressed convert files

All of my files are "processed" and then exported to the file I chose, but they are exactly the same as they were before. So the melodyne fx wasn't applied at all
ender570
New here

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:30 pm

ender570 wrote:
James Perrett wrote:It might also help if you told us the exact procedure that you were trying to follow.
I think I might need to look into the chain function in general, but where I'm stuck now is that i:

1. Added an audio track into Reaper
2. Added the Melodyne Fx, adjusted that file exactly I want the other files done
3. Saved it as a preset
4. Then closed the audio and opened the Batch Conversations option from the File dropdown
5. Added all of the files I want edited
6. Selected the output folder and output specifications
7. Selected "Use Fx"
8. In the Fx window, selected "Add" and chose the melodyne Plugin
9. Loaded my preset
10. Pressed convert files

All of my files are "processed" and then exported to the file I chose, but they are exactly the same as they were before. So the melodyne fx wasn't applied at all

That sounds like the way I'd do it - but as Melodyne can use ARA (and Reaper supports ARA) there may be something else going on. I'm afraid I'm not a Melodyne user so can't help with specifics here. It might be worth looking at the Reaper forums to see if anyone else has tried something similar.
James Perrett

Postby ender570 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:29 pm

I found an extremely unusual way of doing it and I'm not 100% sure that it preserves the quality of the files, but I'll post it on here just in case someone else is ever looking for a solution to the same problem.

1. Instead of running Melodyne through a DAW, open a new project in the Melodyne standalone.
2. Create a new project.
3. Import all of the audio that you wish to batch edit (they need to be loaded as multiple tracks in the same project)
4. Drag your mouse to select all of the different tracks
5. Right click one of the files and select "Merge files"
6. DO NOT PLAY THE FILE. IT WILL LIKELY CRASH.
7. Do whatever batch edits you would like to do to the files to that one merged track
8. Right click your merged track and select "Separate track by source"
9. This will separate the merger back into the individual tracks while persevering the edits made
10. Drag your mouse to select all of the tracks and export the audio however you see fit

I'm still looking for a method that doesn't involve merging the tracks into a jumbled mess of data first, though! A chain batch would just feel so much cleaner lol
ender570
New here